Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 07:53 AM

64 posts, read 154,990 times

Advertisements

Wondering if anyone out there knows when to seek medical attention.
I'm 99% sure I have Ecoli poisoning, for reasons I'd rather not get into.
I was exposed to it Sunday night.
Monday, I couldn't keep anything in my system - it was mild and I have a weak stomach, so I didn't think much of that.
Today, I woke up nauseous and before I even put anything in my system, I have a minor stomach cramp and then went to the bathroom, and well.....you can figure out the rest. I'm still feeling nauseous but haven't put anything in my system because I'm sure it will just go right through me. Okay, so most of the symptoms I'm reading about online are like mine, except more severe. Like bloody stool. Negative on the one. So do I wait it out or is it imperative to go to a DR. asap?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 07:59 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,126,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DottyDo View Post
Wondering if anyone out there knows when to seek medical attention.
I'm 99% sure I have Ecoli poisoning, for reasons I'd rather not get into.
I was exposed to it Sunday night.
Monday, I couldn't keep anything in my system - it was mild and I have a weak stomach, so I didn't think much of that.
Today, I woke up nauseous and before I even put anything in my system, I have a minor stomach cramp and then went to the bathroom, and well.....you can figure out the rest. I'm still feeling nauseous but haven't put anything in my system because I'm sure it will just go right through me. Okay, so most of the symptoms I'm reading about online are like mine, except more severe. Like bloody stool. Negative on the one. So do I wait it out or is it imperative to go to a DR. asap?
Well..... Heather Trew (19) died 12 years after she was struck with E. coli that she got from eating an undercooked hamburger - MyDeathSpace.com

Although I am adamantly anti-conventional medicine, I DO recognize that there are times when you really SHOULD see a doctor.

This would be one of those rare occasions.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-12-2010, 08:42 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,266,175 times
Agreed, especially with the bloody diarrhea! And YES, if 20YearsinBranson says you should see a dr, YOU SHOULD SEE A DOCTOR!!!

Old 10-12-2010, 08:43 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,470,214 times
I believe there's only one way to definitively determine whether you have E coli poisoning or not. And that is with a blood and stool test, specifically for E coli bacteria.

If for nothing else other than your own piece of mind, see a doctor and explain your concerns (I understand why you will not explain things fully on the internet). It's just not worth 'waiting to see' if these symptoms go away.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Agreed, especially with the bloody diarrhea! And YES, if 20YearsinBranson says you should see a dr, YOU SHOULD SEE A DOCTOR!!!
You misread, I was saying that I do not have any severe symptoms, like bloody stool! Trust me, I'd be there already if that were the case. I just keep reading that most minor cases clear up on their own with no harm done. So this is just a matter of, should I miss work for nothing!?

Old 10-12-2010, 08:53 AM

863 posts, read 2,992,399 times
You might want to check this link to Web MD. Lots of good info on how to treat and if you should see a Doc.

E. coli Bacteria Infection Symptoms, Causes, Treatments

Old 10-12-2010, 09:27 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,922,759 times
Default Get to the doctor now

blood in the stool is very serious ,, go now

Old 10-12-2010, 09:28 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,056,666 times
If you have to ask "should I see a doctor?", then the answer is always YES! E. Coli can lead to Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome, which is basically the bacteria destroying your kidneys. People who get HUS from E. Coli infection often need dialysis for the rest of their lives, if they even survive.

Never take any chances.

BTW, how do you know for a fact that you were exposed to it?

Old 10-12-2010, 09:29 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,319,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
blood in the stool is very serious ,, go now
I agree. E Coli can be deadly. Go to the doctor......now!

Old 10-12-2010, 09:51 AM

LOL AGAIN, I DO NOT HAVE BLOODY POOP!!!!! READ PEOPLE! I just wanted to know if minor cases of e.coli needed to be treated as well. Thank you to those that read the question, WebMD. is a hit or miss. But thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness