Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 09:51 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,267,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DottyDo View Post
You misread, I was saying that I do not have any severe symptoms, like bloody stool! Trust me, I'd be there already if that were the case. I just keep reading that most minor cases clear up on their own with no harm done. So this is just a matter of, should I miss work for nothing!?
Ok, sorry. I did misread then. However, my advice to you still stands. If you have a question about it, I think at least a call to your doctor is advisable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 11:34 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DottyDo View Post
LOL AGAIN, I DO NOT HAVE BLOODY POOP!!!!! READ PEOPLE! I just wanted to know if minor cases of e.coli needed to be treated as well. Thank you to those that read the question, WebMD. is a hit or miss. But thanks.
Many cases of gastroenteritis are viral and are over in a couple of days. If the symptoms are mild and you are able to retain enough fluids by mouth to prevent dehydration, you probably do not need to see a doctor right away.

If you try to drink some fluids and it comes right back up, then at least a call to your doctor to discuss something to take for nausea would be a good idea.

Over the next 24 hours, you should be feeling better. If, not, then an office visit would be indicated.

The hooker is that you seem to have a situation that makes you concerned about e. coli. Even if you think you got hold of some bad restaurant food, it is more likely to be something other than e. coli. So, is anyone else in the family sick, too?

If you know of multiple people who ate at a restaurant and got sick within a few hours, call your doctor, not only for yourself but because of the public health risk. It would need to be investigated.

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 10-12-2010 at 12:04 PM.. Reason: fix typo

Old 10-12-2010, 01:10 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,694,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Many cases of gastroenteritis are viral and are over in a couple of days. If the symptoms are mild and you are able to retain enough fluids by mouth to prevent dehydration, you probably do not need to see a doctor right away.

If you try to drink some fluids and it comes right back up, then at least a call to your doctor to discuss something to take for nausea would be a good idea.

Over the next 24 hours, you should be feeling better. If, not, then an office visit would be indicated.

The hooker is that you seem to have a situation that makes you concerned about e. coli. Even if you think you got hold of some bad restaurant food, it is more likely to be something other than e. coli. So, is anyone else in the family sick, too?

If you know of multiple people who ate at a restaurant and got sick within a few hours, call your doctor, not only for yourself but because of the public health risk. It would need to be investigated.
Great post, covers all of the bases.

My own experience with E. coli was a case of "just desserts."

Several years ago a product featuring chicken was ordered to be removed from the shelves. The producer stated that the cause of the E.coli infections resulted from improper cooking of the product, and I believed that. I hurried to the local market and purchased as much of the product that I could afford before it was taken away.

After a while I found the meal to be too dry so, in an attempt to prepare a juicier meal, I began to reduce the cooking time by a few seconds each day. On the day that I had reduced the time by 35% I met my Waterloo.

I spent five days in my recliner as I was too weak to even walk to the bed. I made few trips to the restroom, as I only sipped water or a carbonated drink every day. Mainly, I remember being chilled, and had a blanket over my head the whole time. On the afternoon of the 5th day I ate solid food for the first time.

I e-mailed the manufacturer about my experience and complimented the company on their product, but I'm sure that they're still amazed at my self-inflicted misery.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:05 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
Great post, covers all of the bases.

My own experience with E. coli was a case of "just desserts."

Several years ago a product featuring chicken was ordered to be removed from the shelves. The producer stated that the cause of the E.coli infections resulted from improper cooking of the product, and I believed that. I hurried to the local market and purchased as much of the product that I could afford before it was taken away.

After a while I found the meal to be too dry so, in an attempt to prepare a juicier meal, I began to reduce the cooking time by a few seconds each day. On the day that I had reduced the time by 35% I met my Waterloo.

I spent five days in my recliner as I was too weak to even walk to the bed. I made few trips to the restroom, as I only sipped water or a carbonated drink every day. Mainly, I remember being chilled, and had a blanket over my head the whole time. On the afternoon of the 5th day I ate solid food for the first time.

I e-mailed the manufacturer about my experience and complimented the company on their product, but I'm sure that they're still amazed at my self-inflicted misery.
What an adventurous soul you are! And thank you!

I've had only one severe gastrointestinal saga. Ended up in the hospital overnight.
Mine turned out to be due to clostridium difficile. C.difficile infections used to be hospital acquired and due to overgrowth of the organism in the bowel after treatment with certain antibiotics. It can now be community acquired, and I have no idea where I picked it up. Fortunately, it cleared up quickly with an antibiotic. Nasty experience, though. I missed my husband's nephew's wedding.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:50 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,267,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
What an adventurous soul you are! And thank you!

I've had only one severe gastrointestinal saga. Ended up in the hospital overnight.
Mine turned out to be due to clostridium difficile. C.difficile infections used to be hospital acquired and due to overgrowth of the organism in the bowel after treatment with certain antibiotics. It can now be community acquired, and I have no idea where I picked it up. Fortunately, it cleared up quickly with an antibiotic. Nasty experience, though. I missed my husband's nephew's wedding.
Glad you got rid of yours so quickly. I have online friend on another forum who has been battling hers for several months. I had never even heard of C.diff until I researched it after she picked it up.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:35 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,335,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Well..... Heather Trew (19) died 12 years after she was struck with E. coli that she got from eating an undercooked hamburger - MyDeathSpace.com

Although I am adamantly anti-conventional medicine, I DO recognize that there are times when you really SHOULD see a doctor.

This would be one of those rare occasions.

20yrsinBranson
Since 20yrsinBranson is recommending going to the Dr. I would RUN not walk to one

Old 10-12-2010, 07:04 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
Since 20yrsinBranson is recommending going to the Dr. I would RUN not walk to one
*blush*

Well, like I always say...There is a place for them.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-13-2010, 02:34 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,606,369 times
I got salmonella when the tainted peanut butter was around. My kids did, too. My dh was lucky and didn't eat any of it.

It was pure hell; no joke. I couldn't even get up off the kitchen floor. the pain was incredible. I could keep zero fluids in me for a good 24 hours. Ugh; I don't even like thinking about it. Dh put a call in to the doctor, who told me to wait it out. I couldn't have made it to the doc even if I had wanted to.

I hope your current situation is nowhere near that bad and that you recover quickly! If it were me, with the symptoms you listed, I would be fine with waiting, since it doesn't sound severe and gastro stuff is not uncommon in my house, unfortunately. The kids seem to bring home every single thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness