Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2010, 07:22 AM

1 posts, read 3,515 times

Advertisements

Hello there My name is warren and i was in a helicopter crash 12 weeks ago with my dad and girlfriend. I have broken my hip, pelvis, sacrum, a rib and both my tibia and fibula. The problem with my tibia is that it broke in 2 places and was a compound fracture at the bottom.I had an ortho-fix (external fixator) sticking out for 2 months but saw no bone growth at all especially at the bottom where there is a half inch gap between the bones! Anyway tomorrow i go in for surgery to have a plate inserted where the gap is and a bone graft from my hip! Eeek. Does anyone know how long a bone graft takes to form strong bone, how long my hip will be sore for and will i have a limp forever?!! And has anyone else out there survived an air-crash?! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 09:42 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
I had a bone graft taken from my pelvis, in front, b/c the back had been used for another graft. It burned like fire when I put any weight on that side. Maybe 2 weeks? It's been 15 yrs so the details are a little hazy. I had a spinal fusion and it took a loooong time to fuse. Can't remember, but you are younger than I was which might make a difference. Good luck!

Old 12-08-2010, 08:28 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,834,246 times
yes best wishes for a smooth recovery. take good care.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:47 AM

523 posts, read 3,805,252 times
what an incredible situation - im sorry for your injuries, but you've got to be thankful for having survived! hope your father & gf are ok too.

one thing about your medical situation - if you smoke, you must stop. even if you cant bear to do this permanently, at least do so while you have these injuries, particularly in light of the upcoming bone graft. as well as all the better known medical concerns about smoking, it also has a catastrophic effect on bone healing - you would greatly increase the chances of successful surgery and a rapid recovery and healing process if you quit (and stay quit).

best of luck.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:00 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Yes, when I worked in a hospital many doctors refused to operate on smokers unless it was an emergency. Smoking definitely retards healing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness