Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 01:40 PM

49 posts, read 152,381 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm taking a pain killer prescribed by my doctor. The weird thing is whenever I take a pill and go to sleep, I have multiple nightmares. I wake up few times and fall asleep again, but I can never get off bed.

Sometimes, I feel so aware that I'm dreaming, and I tell myself that this is only a dream, and I try to wake myself up, but I can't.

I was told to take a pill every 3 hours, with no more than 8 pills a day. I never take more than one pill/day.

But once I was in severe pain and I took one, and around 45 mins went back to take another one.

I had shortness of breath, and my chest seemed very tight, with the most evil dreams ever, and I couldn't get myself out of it.

I stopped taking it now. But I'm only trying to understand what causes this and why, like a scientific explanation.

Any similar experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 01:56 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Many narcotics cause hallucinations/delusions/vivid dreams in some people. When i was on a dilaudid pain pump in hospital, I didn't know who/where I was 90% of the time. Once I was Princess Diana, twirling around in a beautiful gown in the palace. Now I just take 1/2 dose of lortab if I can get away with it.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:56 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Yes, I have this happen: Sometimes, I feel so aware that I'm dreaming, and I tell myself that this is only a dream, and I try to wake myself up, but I can't.

And, I'll try to yell (while I am in this nightmare dream) to my wife to wake me up but I can't seem to blurt the words out. The next day she'll say she heard me saying or yelling something in my sleep.

And yes, it has had to do with medications I was taking or stopped taking for a couple days accidentally.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:16 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,648,995 times
I'm on a high blood pressure medication that causes the most wild dreams I have ever had. So yes, then can.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:17 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,244 times
This is classic sleep paralysis. Most people will experience it once or twice...typically when overtired or while taking medication. Others (like lucky me!) experience it more frequently. There's a genetic component, and it's more common in females than males.

Basically when you enter REM sleep (the dreaming phrase), your body releases a chemical that helps ensure you don't move around and act out your dreams. What's happening is your level of consciousness is rising (in other words you're waking up) while your body is still asleep and unable to move.

While in this state it's very common to feel a pressure or weight, especially on one's chest. Some feel like they are suffocating. You feel like you can't move and may have vivid waking hallucinations. There's often an oppressive feeling of terror (though some actually feel great joy or peace). Some feel a sense of vibration.

Sleep paralysis is probably responsible for legends of 'the old hag' who sneaks into bedrooms and sits on the chest. It's also behind legends of succubus and incubus who again sneak into bedrooms and sit on the victim. Some people who claim alien abduction and out of body experiences were probably in this state. Because you know you are awake but you're also hallucinating, it can be difficult to distinguish the visions from reality.

Sleep paralysis is considered a gateway to lucid dreaming. If you can relax and not fight it, you can fall back into REM sleep while still being aware that you are dreaming. This often gives you the ability to modify the dream at well. It's also used as a starting point for out of body experiences.

Sorry for the info dump, I just find the whole thing fascinating. I've had this for many years and I tend to do it to myself by trying to wake up from bad dreams. Instead I get 'stuck'. Often times I feel like I'm screaming. The only way to break out of it is to focus very very hard on moving just one body part, like a finger or your head.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:11 AM

4 posts, read 14,021 times
Yes it might be possible. Hallucinations are closely related with side effects of medications. If you have taken some medicines and it has some negative impact on your REM sleep phase, you may undergo hallucinations.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:09 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,797,076 times
Painkillers are famous for causing crazy dreams and some folks who want to induce wild dreams will experiment with certain substances to bring it on.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:13 AM

1 posts, read 10,088 times
I am on oxicodine for pain in back. But sometimes I have nightmares, crutley to animals., and im going to be harmed and will wake up gasp my breath. I realize its a dream but of course at the time I didn't know this. These are awful dreams and haven't told anybody about them, except for now. catt from florida

Old 04-20-2013, 01:57 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Yes. If it's an issue for you, call your dr and change your script.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:01 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Yes meds can cause nightmares, I can attest to that, and also if you eat a chocolate bar just before you go to bed as I've experienced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness