Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 04:45 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,376,331 times

Advertisements

I just bought a pair of over the ear digital hearing aids, and I would like to hear from people who wear hearing aids how long does it take to get used to the noises ....like paper rattling or foot steps on a hard floor etc.

I was told my loss wasn't in the noise end but in speech clarification,(no wonder I just dont listen) but I am being bothered by the noise amplification or do I have to adapt to both?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 06:34 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
The longer you wear them, the more you adjust to the noises. Mine are custom programmable doohickies that go in the ear and are mid-size (not the micro ones, but not the big ones that are obvious). They have a few settings - one for forward-only, which is used for talking to someone specific. One is unidirectional, for general hearing. And the third is on the left one only, that filters out all noise -except- what you're hearing on the telephone. Well plus they each have an OFF button, which I find immensely useful when I'm going out to lunch by myself and don't want to hear all those rude customers who insist on having cell phone conversations while they dine next to me. They act like earplugs, then.

You should try wearing your aids just a couple of hours your first day, a few hours the next day. Give your brain a break to absorb the new information. By the end of the week you should be able to wear them most of the day without freaking out.

Edited to add: your aids also should have volume control buttons, so you can turn the sound down if it's TOO loud.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:21 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,272,316 times
My Hearing aids are by Resound and I love them! They are over the ear also. I have a remote that
I am able to turn them up or down. And also it has a restaurant setting! I took to mine immediately.
I have high frequency mild hearing loss. Wear them every day!

Greenchili

Old 01-15-2011, 04:49 PM

2,179 posts, read 7,376,331 times
ok thanks I am hearing things I haven't heard in years....like my turn signal clicking,friends would always ask "you cant hear your turn signal " with a look of disbelief........

Old 01-16-2011, 04:09 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,243,626 times
Here is a forum with some excellent info for you. When I got my hearing aids I found this site.

Hearing Aid Forums | Hearing Loss | Hearing Aids - Powered by vBulletin

Old 01-16-2011, 07:19 AM

77 posts, read 132,008 times
Give it time but consider possibly getting the frequencies adjusted. I'm 56 and have been wearing analog (can't do digital) since I was 9 or 10.

Old 05-28-2011, 02:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,337 times
What type of[mod] too new to post links, read TOS [/mod]are they (make and model)? I know lots of people who wear hearing aids and they all have said it has improved their hearing and self confidence.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 05-29-2011 at 11:50 AM..

Old 05-29-2011, 10:30 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
My husband's are designed to block out background noises. Mine have a switch where I can dampen the background if I want to. I usually do that when we are out in heavy traffic.

Maybe yours can be adjusted to do the same.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:43 AM

7,530 posts, read 11,365,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post
I just bought a pair of over the ear digital hearing aids, and I would like to hear from people who wear hearing aids how long does it take to get used to the noises ....like paper rattling or foot steps on a hard floor etc.
Sounds like you may need to turn down the volume on your hearing aids.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:49 AM

7,530 posts, read 11,365,273 times
For those dealing with unilateral or single sided deafness. There are some newer options now. A company called Sonitus Medical has an aid that uses a device that you connect to your teeth that I think sends vibrations to your good ear. Phonak has a smaller verison of the cros aid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness