Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 12:58 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,067,448 times

Advertisements

I had the lump in the throat sensation all the time! At first we thought food allergies, then eventually I was tested and it came back hypothyroid.

I had a u/s and my thyroid is enlarged. Soy seems to aggrivate that lump in the throat sensation. When I asked my Endo about this he said that soy products can aggrivate the thryoid and not to consume them.

Haven't had that sensation in a while now.

Took a lot to get to that conclusion though. I did the barium swallow, an upper endoscopy, went on anti-anxiety meds, took nexium, went to an ENT...no answers...everything was always "normal" and the meds didn't work.

I hope you find an answer! I know how frustrating it is. I had that sensation for 4 years before getting answers and getting rid of it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 10:01 AM

323 posts, read 633,973 times
Hi, just an fyi... my wife has hashimotos thyroid and her throat does sometimes feel "full". She doesn't like to wear turtlenecks, etc......anything that hits up against her throat. She's trying a gluten-free diet because some of her research points toward gluten as something that aggravates her condition. She does take synthroid, and feels good most of the time. She also has a nodule that the doctors look at once a year with a sonogram. My mother-in-law has the same exact symptoms. I would still, of course, clear it with a doctor. Good luck.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:30 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
Thanks so much for all the input - Hat456, same here, I don't like anything constrictive around my throat - I've been wondering about diet, Rheum. tested for Celiac because of other issues a year or so ago (I have Fibromyalgia also and I think she's great and was trying to help w/other issues), negative (although I remember Dad saying his mother, etc. had issues w/wheat, and I'm of Scots/Irish/Italian decent) - I've been wondering about Gluten, hadn't thought about Soy - I'm addicted to this Wasabi Rice Blast Mix (from World Market), it's a mix of crackers (rice), soy sauce, soybeans, wheat, etc. - hmmmmm.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:38 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Not sure how to describe this and I'm not one to go to a Dr. lightly. I've always had what is considered a goiter/enlarged thyroid - I've been taking Synthroid since forever, had the occasional sonogram and FNA when called for, and no problems.

Lately, like last several months, I've had an "uncomfortable"' feeling at base of my throat, to the point where clothing, sheet at night in bed, etc. touching it is uncomfortable. Feels like there is a "lump" in the base of my throat.

I went to see the Endo. 2 months earlier than my schedule just to get opinion - he says it doesn't feel different but believes my concerns (and when I asked what it could be I saw a fleeting look of concern and he said "Let's see what we can find out") and scheduled me for another sonogram and a barium swallow (that's new). Haven't scheduled yet though because office said they would check to make sure I didn't need a prior authorization and haven't heard yet.

Concerned on another area though - I also take Boniva and a side affect may be esophogeheal (sp?) problems so I'm wondering how one can figure this out? Any thoughts?
Honestly; I'd make an appointment with an ENT; they can scope you right in the office & you may not need the other tests. Possible it's just acid reflux. I had issues last year- my airway closed last March; then I was still having weird issues off & on- pills would get stuck; even small pills. My hub was a year into being diagnosed for oral cancer (tonsil; neck mass & nodes) so I was a bit freaked. Saw the ENT; scoped me right in the office & said it was from acid. I've been on a high dose of Nexium since his cancer diagnosis; was told to double it or add something over the counter.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:42 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,322,267 times
Your thyroid may have enlarged to the point that it's behind your breast bone. An ultrasound or a thyroid scan could be useful. Good luck!

Old 03-21-2011, 05:54 PM

I have appts. for Thurs. morning - I was surprised there is no prep. or anything. I know there wouldn't be for the ultrasound but I assumed there was for the barium swallow but they said no.

I did wonder if I should see an ENT as I wonder if it's the Boniva but since I have thyroid issues I figured I'd see about that first - hopefully, when the results come in, we'll know - I'm due to take Boniva again on the 1st but I'd rather not until I hear and presumably I will before then.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:20 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,067,448 times
Good luck at your appt! Keep us posted!

My u/s showed that my thryoid is growing back towards my esophagus so we are keeping watch on it. Going soy-free has definitely helped relieve the sensation.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:06 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,429,130 times
Yes-I had this for around 6 months at a very stressful time and was concerned and spoke to the Doc I worked with. He asked me questions re other symptoms- which were all absent and told me it was probably Globus Hystericus.
It's fairly common.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:25 PM

Update so far: had the tests done yesterday (that barium stuff is nasty tasting, LOL) - The person doing the ultrasound told me she could only find one nodule (not the two previously seen for years) - so I guess that's good? Haven't heard from Dr. yet, the Dr. doing the swallow didn't tell me anything during or after.

Maybe another positive is the tech. doing the ultrasound said she was guessing acid reflux (before she did anything). I do wonder though if the test is different now? She "clicked" alot more times than I remember from the other checks, and it took longer.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:12 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,223,021 times
Be sure they check out your parathyroid glands and blood calcium levels.

I had your symptoms and they only found the benign parathyroid tumor during exploratory surgery, as it did not show up on the ultrasound or by palpating the area.

Excision was routine and no further problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness