Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 04:45 PM

14,944 posts, read 12,136,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
OMG, this thread is from a long time ago. Yes, they scheduled me for a virtual colonoscopy instead and it was fine.

Then I changed doctors and hospitals and have never had this mysterious "no detectable blood pressure" issue again. They have always had a hard time drawing blood from me. They say I have narrow, movable veins. My cousin has the same problem when getting blood drawn. I have been told to drink a lot of water before having blood drawn.

Maybe I was dehydrated due to all the pooping during the prep.
Yeah, I noticed the age of this thread, so was reluctant to post anything, but since you've updated it ,and you seem to have recovered from your undetectable blood pressure ordeal, I thought I would add my two cents, and relate my daughter's experience involving undetectable blood pressure. She's 33.

This occurred with her about 4-5 months ago, she was having issues with severe GERD due to a nearly non-functioning esophageal sphincter (she has a genetic condition that results in defective collagen/connective tissue and affects many of her organ systems). She couldn't keep anything down, not even water, for a number of days, and she was taking prescribed diuretics to control the effects of heart failure (that's another whole story), so she was depleting herself of fluids over that time. When she took her blood pressure, it was either extremely low or undetectable, and when she reported that she had stopped peeing, and in fact passed out, we took her to the ER. They couldn't find a blood pressure either, and drew blood, then started her on IV fluid pushes as it was apparent that she was extremely dehydrated. When her labs came back, they told us she was in renal failure (creatinine was over 5.0, normal range 1.0 or less), and admitted her for more IV fluids and monitoring. As you mentioned they might have been more panicky about not detecting a blood pressure if she had been semi-conscious or not responding, but they believed it was due to her extreme dehydration which along with the acute renal failure would be corrected by several days of IV fluid. And it was. Her kidneys turned out to be fine (her creatinine was back to normal in 3 days), she had her GERD issues addressed and they are better now, they told her to lay off the diuretic a few days, and her cardiac issues are more or less stabilized now.

I'm guessing, like others have said, that your undetectable blood pressure was caused by extreme dehydration-thats a long time to go from evacuating everything you've got (liquid too) in response to the colonoscopy prep, not eating or drinking after a certain time, and having the colonoscopy in the afternoon. Individual reserves vary and it may be as a thinner person (maybe elderly too?) yours were less than some others. The fact that you said you had stopped peeing is a big clue-that's severe dehydration and a harbinger of acute kidney failure, or so we were told. My daughter didn't have to pee till after they had completed her 3rd IV bag, I have to say I don't think we ever welcomed a trip to the bathroom as much as we did that one as it meant her kidneys were working.

In any case, I'd hope they take some consideration of you and schedule colonoscopies early in the day from now on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2018, 06:10 PM

1 posts, read 533 times
Default Undetectable BP

I, too have had an undetectable BP on various occasions. Today was another occurrence of several lately. I have 3 different BP cuffs: one is a digital Omron, the 2nd is a digital wrist cuff and the third is a manual cuff. I was feeling off, lightheaded or something and decided to take my BP. This actually happens to me quite often. I will check my husband's pressure and the 3 cuffs always work fine.
Once it happened in the doctor's office with them using several cuffs. Even the doctor tried to get it. All were unsuccessful. They just went on with business as usual since I was obviously breathing.
Another time, I passed out for a short time at work and several skilled people there tried getting my BP and were unsuccessful. E.R. didn't have a problem once I saw them.
Lately, I have been having bouts of being lightheaded with at least one time passing out. BP wasn't taken, but I would bet one would not get a reading based on prior experience. I am plenty hydrated. My cardio thinks the passing out or near, may be due to autonomic problem. So going to neurology next month.
I have my own theory. I believe that it may be due to the systolic and diastolic pressures either being to close together or the same. But that raises the question as to why?

Old 12-01-2018, 06:42 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,585,979 times
Did the medical-personnel check for a carotid-pulse?

Old 01-10-2019, 07:43 AM

1 posts, read 425 times
Several times lately doctors can get a blood pressure reading on me or pulse! I just had a colonoscopy and my pulse was 38. After a bit is got up to 51 but went back in 40s after. When I went to my follow up 5 days later they couldn’t get my blood pressure. This has been my norm for over a year. I am a tad worried. When I was pregnant my bp dropped to 30 over 10 and I almost died. That was 25 years ago. I am 49 , no drinking, smoking , I exercise and wear a size 2. I eat well and take vitamins. I drink caffeine in the morning.
My mom had MSA. I have bulging disks in my neck and last 6 months trouble breathing. My throat feels closed. Maybe not from disk injury. I don’t know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness