Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 11:48 AM

607 posts, read 3,557,961 times

Advertisements

mmmary.....................

I know what I'm talking about. I don't just make this stuff up. It is proven fact.

Doctors love to pass out scrips. Doctors rarely treat the underlying cause of symptoms.

Whenever I give out valuable info on this or other forums I always encourage people to look up and confirm my advise. It's all there, and from reputable sights.

Your response is typical of people in the medical "profession". "nobody knows anything but us doctors"........ "we are smart and everyone else is stupid"..."do what we say and don't take vitamins and supplements as they don't do any good"

If I listened to doctors (and nurses) I'd be either 400 lbs or dead right now.

One more thing............. PVCs have NOTHING to do with ones heart "speeding up".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 12:13 PM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,066,287 times
Okay guys, let me explain further to clarify. My doc put me on the toprol(btw I took one pill so far) to see if the PVC's will stop. He said that if it works then I don't have PAF. He was trying to go the cheaper route, which is frustrating me because I want to know the underlying cause. They seem to be brought on by stress now, if I get mentally stressed or my body is under stress such as being dehydrated from a day at the lake. I've been to two internist's now, my current doctor is the second, the first one told me these things just happen.... I've also been to an endocrinologist, who brought in an older physician to consult, at the University Hospital in Salt Lake City. They didn't think my problem was glandular, and after testing my potassium level told me that it was probably due to the pills I had taken.

When they did both of my ekg's they didn't "see" anything. But that doesn't mean much I take it? My doctor said they could do an electrocardiogram and maybe I should just get it done(to the tune of $2200) to see if there really is anything wrong with my heart at all. If your thyroid can make your heart beat irregularly than certianly your adrenal glands which are connected to your thyroid can do the same. At least that's my logic. I'm not into popping a pill and saying okay that's the answer. I want to fix what's wrong not just find a cover up for it. Why don't doctor's listen to their patients. Is it that they just don't care, or do they really think they know our bodies better than we know them ourselves. BTW, I'm not someone that goes to the doctor all the time, in fact the only regular doctor I have is my OBGYN who I see once a year. So it's not like I'm some hypochondriac who shouldn't be taken seriously. I'm just so frustrated..... Does anyone know anything about the effects on your heart due to too much adrenaline production??

Old 08-03-2007, 01:00 PM

607 posts, read 3,557,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earniefan View Post
Okay guys, let me explain further to clarify. My doc put me on the toprol(btw I took one pill so far) to see if the PVC's will stop. He said that if it works then I don't have PAF. He was trying to go the cheaper route, which is frustrating me because I want to know the underlying cause. They seem to be brought on by stress now, if I get mentally stressed or my body is under stress such as being dehydrated from a day at the lake. I've been to two internist's now, my current doctor is the second, the first one told me these things just happen.... I've also been to an endocrinologist, who brought in an older physician to consult, at the University Hospital in Salt Lake City. They didn't think my problem was glandular, and after testing my potassium level told me that it was probably due to the pills I had taken.

When they did both of my ekg's they didn't "see" anything. But that doesn't mean much I take it? My doctor said they could do an electrocardiogram and maybe I should just get it done(to the tune of $2200) to see if there really is anything wrong with my heart at all. If your thyroid can make your heart beat irregularly than certianly your adrenal glands which are connected to your thyroid can do the same. At least that's my logic. I'm not into popping a pill and saying okay that's the answer. I want to fix what's wrong not just find a cover up for it. Why don't doctor's listen to their patients. Is it that they just don't care, or do they really think they know our bodies better than we know them ourselves. BTW, I'm not someone that goes to the doctor all the time, in fact the only regular doctor I have is my OBGYN who I see once a year. So it's not like I'm some hypochondriac who shouldn't be taken seriously. I'm just so frustrated..... Does anyone know anything about the effects on your heart due to too much adrenaline production??
Sugar, caffeine, simple carb (more sugar), alcohol, cigarettes, environmental chemicals all can raise your adrenaline. These are the same chemicals that block the absorption of calcium, magnesium and potassium. (see where I'm going with this?) Exersize can also cause a loss of these nutrients.

These dangerous substances can also lead to stress if the body doesn't have any real food to burn while your body trying to run hot. This is exactly what causes mental stress, your brain needs food (nutritious food) to help with reasoning and adjusting to situations.

It's sort of like having an empty gas tank and repeatedly trying to start your car. Sooner or later the battery will die. (not that you will die but you get the picture)

Old 08-04-2007, 06:43 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,343,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis s View Post
mmmary.....................

I know what I'm talking about. I don't just make this stuff up. It is proven fact.

Doctors love to pass out scrips. Doctors rarely treat the underlying cause of symptoms.

Whenever I give out valuable info on this or other forums I always encourage people to look up and confirm my advise. It's all there, and from reputable sights.

Your response is typical of people in the medical "profession". "nobody knows anything but us doctors"........ "we are smart and everyone else is stupid"..."do what we say and don't take vitamins and supplements as they don't do any good"

If I listened to doctors (and nurses) I'd be either 400 lbs or dead right now.

One more thing............. PVCs have NOTHING to do with ones heart "speeding up".
No, paroxysmal atrial tachycardia, atrial tachycardia, and atrial fibrillation can. PVCs are abnormal ventricular contractions that feel like a "skip" to some people. Everyone has them occasionally. It is when they become numerous or change that they can become serious and can "convert" to ventricular tachycardia to venticular fibrillation to asystole - so your earlier comment that they aren't serious is in fact dangerous. For example, too much potassium ingested or the inability of the kidneys to clear the potassium already present can cause a situation like this to happen. BTW, I make it a point to listen to my patients, I write very few prescriptions, and I am not a physician. I am sorry your healthcare provider doesn't listen to you - you're probably an interesting person.

Old 08-04-2007, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earniefan View Post

Earnie - I think you mean an "echocardiogram". Stress echocardiograms are suggested when women are having heart issues - supposed to be more specific for women. Will a cardiologist be consulting before or after you have the echo? I feel your frustration and I do hope you get your questions answered. Have you considered talking with your OB-GYN - sounds as if you've got a good relationship there. Good luck!

Old 08-05-2007, 12:19 PM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,066,287 times
Actually my OB isn't very helpful. I told him over a year ago that I had a major lack of libido and he told me it was due to everyday life. I'm just going to keep eating like a health nut and walking and see how things go. I really don't want to take a pill and not find out the underlying cause. I may decide to go ahead and get the echocardiogram to rule out a problem with my heart. I was also thinking about having them check my cortisol levels and other such hormones produced by the adrenal glands. I'm wondering if I messed up their function by taking the adrenal stress end pills. Or if the extra adrenal function produced too much adrenaline and my heart needs to recover from that now. Before this all started I'd never had any health problems. Well, other than the fact that my diet wasn't the best and I hardly ever exercised. I think my body just wasn't getting the nutrients it needed to handle the amount of stress I'm under. I know stress can do some crazy things to your body and such.

Old 08-05-2007, 05:25 PM

Actually my OB isn't very helpful. I told him over a year ago that I had a major lack of libido and he told me it was due to everyday life.
Jerk! Alot of things can cause low libido other than "life". PLEASE find another provider - another gyne, a NP, PA, someone. You are too young to have this!!

I'm just going to keep eating like a health nut and walking and see how things go.
Good idea!

I may decide to go ahead and get the echocardiogram to rule out a problem with my heart.
Good idea!

I'm wondering if I messed up their function by taking the adrenal stress end pills.
?
Some of these pills are nothing more than caffeine or() ephedrine, which does crazy things to your heart's rate and rhythm.

Before this all started I'd never had any health problems. Well, other than the fact that my diet wasn't the best and I hardly ever exercised. I think my body just wasn't getting the nutrients it needed to handle the amount of stress I'm under. I know stress can do some crazy things to your body and such. Absolutely! Menopause, out-of-kilter hormones, lousy diet, etc can cause you to feel like this. Sounds like you're on a positive lifestyle change. Good luck!!

Old 06-12-2008, 11:14 AM

2 posts, read 14,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis s View Post
STOP......................... don't take any medicine especially without the EKG.
PVCs are a symptom of low magnesium/calcium levels. This can be caused by caffiene or alcohol or just sweating a lot. If it occurs after eating high gluten food (wheat/barley/rye) you may have icoeliac, an intolerance to gluton. This is causing your natural pacemaker to stop and reset, which is basically what PVCs is. Too much sugar will cause it too.

This is a very, very common thing many people have it but don't even know.
Some say that burping stops it (don't know why)

You can buy a supplement from a vitamin store and try it there are no side effects and it's real hard to take too much. Calcium 500 mg, magnesium 250mg and keep your potassium up too with bananas or a supplement if you don't like bananas. Stay away from Gatorade as this does contain potassium but has way too much sugar.

If there is not a history of heart problems in the family then I don't think you should worry, but get an EKG soon and google PVCsyou'll feel better.

One other thing, thinking about PVCs can trigger them sometimes.
I wanted to let you know that after reading your post over 5 weeks ago, I stopped all wheat and gluten and have been pvc and symptom free. If it wasn't for your posting, I would most likely have continued on my old regular ( which was pretty healthy to begin with) diet not paying much attention to the wheat and gluten factor. This is the longest that I've gone without pvc's in over 4 months ( heart is totally fine after test after test after test), any headaches in over 5 years, and any digestive issues. My doctor's are 100 percent behind me on this new lifestyle ( which I love) and I've added 6 servings of leafy greens ( magnes) a day.
Thank you so much for your post, Dennis S!!!!

Old 06-12-2008, 03:52 PM

672 posts, read 5,822,598 times
I have PVCs--I am a female in my early 30's and have had them for a year and a half now. I get them every single day, but it varies as to how many I have. Some days I only feel about 10; other days I have 3 or 4 per minute.

I had a full cardiac workup, including echocardiogram, which was normal. I saw an electrophysiologist too (cardiologist specializing in heart rhythms). There was no cause found for my PVCs. I just have learned to deal with them. The common triggers for PVCs are all things I don't do: smoking, drinking, caffeine. I have never heard of the wheat/gluten connection but I find that my triggers are exercise and dehydration/not eating regular meals.

Interestingly, my husband has just developed PVCs. He previously never had any heart issues. I have a lot more of them than he does, though.

Old 06-14-2008, 07:49 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,441,078 times
My sister had PVCs and they thought it was menopause at first. Then she found out that the B vitamins she had been taking caused them. As soon as she stopped taking them the PVCs went away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness