Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 03:37 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,014,713 times

Advertisements

So I go into my doctors for my regular visit and I told them about some puffiness I had in my fingers where I couldn't take off my rings. My toes and calves seemed tight and puffy, also that I have over 110 pulse on Sunday.

They checked me out and said I had to see another Doctor tommorow because they suspect CHF?? I asked shouldn't I be in the hospital or something? They said my lungs were clear and I didn't have pitting edema but I did have some fluid retension.

They are blaming the diet pills I have been taking for ruining my heart.

Does it sound like I have heart failure?? I am scared now, all I did was go in for a regualr check up and leave with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 05:01 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Yes. Diet pills are dangerous. You can recover from this with time, a good diet, and meds. But it's nothing to screw around with, my father died from CHF eventually but he was 86 and had been diagnosed for close to 10 yrs.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 05-11-2011 at 09:50 AM..

Old 05-11-2011, 02:25 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Sorry to hear about your condition. This is a serious, but relievable, matter. I suggest you start now and start looking for the best doctor around (I'd probably restrict the search to America and Western Europe). Universities are a great place to start your reseach.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:26 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
What kind of diet pills were you taking? Did they make you dehydrated and caused this? Good thing you caught it by the sounds of things!

Old 05-11-2011, 08:05 AM

Phentermine. I always have taken it in the past with no problems. But the past couple years I tend to have a high diastolic ( 90 or over) and sometimes I get a fast pulse, but not like I did on Sunday. They ran numerous tests in the past and found nothing wrong.

But on Sunday I woke up so puffy I couldnt get my rings off, went out for mothers day lunch. Came home took my bp and it was fine but my pulse was over 100. I laid down finally and the lowest it would go was 98. Finally after 2 hours I drank a bottle of water and my pulse got better, into the 80's. But my fingers and legs were so puffy. I told my doctor and he felt my ankles and said no pitting, but I did have some edema. He just wanted me to get checked out. He mentioned heart failure and to stop taking those pills.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:02 PM

I don't have heart failure! It was two stupid PA's that dx me. I saw the Doctor and he laughed. Prescribed Welbutrin and increased the strength of my phentermine so I can look good this summer.

Going forward I won't agree to see a PA instead of a doctor.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:12 PM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
I don't have heart failure! It was two stupid PA's that dx me. I saw the Doctor and he laughed. Prescribed Welbutrin and increased the strength of my phentermine so I can look good this summer.

Going forward I won't agree to see a PA instead of a doctor.
Oh my gosh, that's scary. You do know about the serious potential side effects of what you're taking, don't you? And your doctor INCREASED your dosage with the fast pulse you've been having. Hmmmm, that's worrisome.

Read this and ask yourself if maybe those PA's were correct in their diagnose...

Heart Problems Caused By Phentermine | LIVESTRONG.COM

Looking good versus looking dead are world's apart. What price vanity??

Old 05-12-2011, 03:19 PM

I agree, but he has been my doctor forever and he didnt think I needed to worry. Although I am a bit concened about mixing the welbutrin with the phen because welbutin increases BP. I do have a BP problem that ionly started after I had a baby. I always had good BP, but since I gave birth it tends to spike. Nobody knows why.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:42 PM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
I agree, but he has been my doctor forever and he didnt think I needed to worry. Although I am a bit concened about mixing the welbutrin with the phen because welbutin increases BP. I do have a BP problem that ionly started after I had a baby. I always had good BP, but since I gave birth it tends to spike. Nobody knows why.
I'd get a second opinion, you could be letting yourself into a world of health problems. Some doctors are not as good as others. Try a holistic doctor or a naturopath and get your health evaluated. This is some very serious stuff you're dealing with.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:22 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Or maybe stop putting so much faith in a doctor who's so quick to prescribe meds. Especially something known to cause hypertension and kidney disease, with something known to cause hypertension and dehydration (strain on the kidney, which can lead to kidney disease).

It sounds to me like your doctor is just giving you what you want, without taking into consideration your actual medical needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness