Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 06:09 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,715,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymanero View Post
If the woman of my dreams wanted kids, she wouldn't be the woman of my dreams. And to the other person who answered, doctors don't have a code of ethics to follow. i've known men who get them very young without children.
You dont mess with your body period unless you HAVE to. I mean...its your junk and you only get one. What if the doc messed up? What if it got infected and had to be removed? What if he damaged your balls and they had to be removed and your stuck taking hormones for the rest of your life?

And anyway...FYI....your body can regenerate that tube they snip. Did you know that?

Old 05-23-2011, 06:13 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,196,900 times
Quote:
That is a myth. After getting it done, you go back to the doctor once a month and have a sample tested to ensure sterility. It can take up to a few months but it makes sure.
i was 41 years old and was seperated for 2 years. my doctor made me bring in paperwork proving that my marriage was "broken". he actually didn't want to do it without her signature but settled on just the paperwork after i talked him into it. i'm sure my doctor was extreme but don't tell me they don't have ethics when it comes to a vasectomy. they do.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:13 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,791,304 times
Well at 17 you'd likely need a signed slip from your parents. Assuming this isn't a troll thread, once you turn 18 do whatever you want to your body.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:14 PM

129 posts, read 336,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
You dont mess with your body period unless you HAVE to. I mean...its your junk and you only get one. What if the doc messed up? What if it got infected and had to be removed? What if he damaged your balls and they had to be removed and your stuck taking hormones for the rest of your life?

And anyway...FYI....your body can regenerate that tube they snip. Did you know that?
This is not true either. And any doctors with a license are too careful for something like that.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:19 PM

37,624 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
If the woman of my dreams wanted kids, she wouldn't be the woman of my dreams. And to the other person who answered, doctors don't have a code of ethics to follow. i've known men who get them very young without children.
Then go ask those men how THEY did it. No one with any ethics will snip a kid.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:19 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,715,382 times
Yes it is. You can look it up or ask your doctor. Doctors are human. They do mess up. But go ahead and look up some medical lawsuit cases if you actually believe the medical system is flawless. They mess up all the time.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:23 PM

129 posts, read 336,414 times
Quote:
Yes it is. You can look it up or ask your doctor. Doctors are human. They do mess up. But go ahead and look up some medical lawsuit cases if you actually believe the medical system is flawless. They mess up all the time.
I appreciate your concern, but I've given it some thought, and its for the best.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:38 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,108,146 times
Quote:
What should I do to make sure I get one as soon as possible?
Take a boxcutter to your boys.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:50 PM

806 posts, read 2,341,998 times
I agree, you should get it done..
Kids are lifechanging.. If you are happy with the hit and run, then by all means, do what you can do to keep it that way..

I am sure once you are 18, you will be able to talk to a general surgeon. I am sure they will try to talk you out of it, but just tell them it's your decision...

Do you have insurance, I don't think they will cover it..??

Old 05-23-2011, 06:56 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,076,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
Yes, and for many doctors, that code of ethics include not performing an unnecessary procedure that may very well be difficult to reverse on a man they consider not old enough to know his own mind on the matter.

Stick to condoms for right now and use them every time. Make sure your partners are on hormonal birth control too. Even if you did get a vasectomy, you would still need to use a condom to protect against disease. Using a vasectomy as birth control in order to get around using condoms is usually only done by committed, long-term partners (usually married.)
Excellent point!

Quote:
That is a myth. After getting it done, you go back to the doctor once a month and have a sample tested to ensure sterility. It can take up to a few months but it makes sure.
Our doc only required one follow-up sample at 3 months from the date of surgery. If that came back with sperm present then they gave you a 2 week check-list (for every other day basically) and you go back and do the sample again. If you still had sperm present they considered it a failed procedure and then did an ultrasound to check for tubes (some men have 3 tubes, sometimes they don't snip enough away and it rejoins, sometimes they just don't cut the right tubes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
Typically they want you to have sex something like 5 times a week for 2 weeks to a month. The only reason why I know this is because I work with a guy who told me some of the specifics. And it was horrifying and funny at the same time.
Our instructions were once a week for 3 months, so basically 12 ejaculations. We surpassed that in the first 3 weeks! The doc told us to ensure the best results, oral was the best option (he was kidding of course).

Quote:

It isn't always a cake-walk. Google PVP or post-vasectomy pain syndrome. There are a LOT of men that have issues afterwards. My husband has some minor issues, he can live with it and the sex is great but every so often he gets a twinge. There are men that deal with a lot more pain than that. This made the decision for us very difficult. Even our doctor suggested it is more common than originally thought and there is no way to predict who it will happen to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrplr1 View Post
i was 41 years old and was seperated for 2 years. my doctor made me bring in paperwork proving that my marriage was "broken". he actually didn't want to do it without her signature but settled on just the paperwork after i talked him into it. i'm sure my doctor was extreme but don't tell me they don't have ethics when it comes to a vasectomy. they do.
Yup, covering his arse! I had to sign consent. If I didn't sign, he would NOT do the procedure. There were some things I did not agree to and didn't want to sign off on, but I did sign in th end because it's what my husband wanted.

Quote:
This is not true either. And any doctors with a license are too careful for something like that.
Not true! You could have the best doctor but things go wrong. 1% of vasectomies fail. That is not the doctors fault, sometimes the tubes just rejoin or a channel is formed. Do your research. Look up Sperm Granuloma, there is a higher incidence of a rejoined tube or a path created because of a granuloma if I remember correctly.

Look, you are young. You may never want kids and I respect that, but you NEED to do your research on this procedure. It is not without it's flaws and failures. It is a physical change that you are making to your body. That does not always come without consequence, to think so is naieve. We researched this procedure for a very long time (years) before we felt comfortable with the decision. There are several ways they can perform this procedure...you need to read up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness