Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 05:49 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,223,021 times

Advertisements

Ask your doctor about Estrogel and Prometrium, which I've been on for years. (I'm now 64 and intend to continue with this HRT until my doctor tells me it's contraindicated.) The gel is topical and rubbed into one arm each morning, and the pink pill is taken with breakfast.

Both compounds are bio-identical to what they're replacing in your body, according to my doctor, and I can't say enough good about how the mood swings evened out, the hot flashes disappeared, and my skin and mucous membranes stayed supple.

Bioidentical hormone replacement therapy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

At my last check-up a couple of months ago, all the news was good.

YMMV but it's worth investigating for some relief, even if you and your doctor just decide on a brief regimen for you. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 12:27 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,924,187 times
I just want to note that menopause and pari-menopause are natural states . . . if you can cut stress out of your life as much as possible, exercise, eat healthy (no processed foods), drink a lot of water, take vitamins, there should be no problem.

I bet you that most women who claim of symptoms have stress in their lives, maybe don't eat so well, some probably smoke . . .

Old 07-02-2011, 03:20 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I just want to note that menopause and pari-menopause are natural states . . . if you can cut stress out of your life as much as possible, exercise, eat healthy (no processed foods), drink a lot of water, take vitamins, there should be no problem.

I bet you that most women who claim of symptoms have stress in their lives, maybe don't eat so well, some probably smoke . . .

Old 07-02-2011, 09:29 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,271,693 times
Quote:

Hogwash,
I dont work,I eat well,exercise,NO smoking,or drinking,No stress,but I developed anxiety when hormones took a plunge. This is just a stupid
statement.

Greenchili

Old 07-02-2011, 11:05 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacf1 View Post
OK - that made me really laugh! My husband looked at me the other day being miserable with this stupid heavy period with horrible cramps and said, "I just don't know what to say to you to make it better." He did admit that he is glad he's not a woman seeing what I am going through.

I have my annual gyn exam in September and I will be bringing up all of this then. Last year's appointment it was "omg sex is so freaking painful - what can I do about that?" This year I'm going to insist on some kind of help. I have never heard of FemHRT - I'll have to look that up.

I guess misery loves company because I am feeling better just hearing about others' experiences. Thanks for that
Your husband sounds like a real sweetheart--there really is nothing he can say, is there? Nothing you wouldn't slap the poor guy for anyway. And then they tiptoe around so as not to set you off and that pisses you off too, lol. Hey and that's just PMS.

I have heard about this vaginal atrophy--forgot just what it's called exactly, and turns out that the answer is more sex--sort of a use it or lose it kind of thing. And when your sex drive is gone, then what?

Old 07-02-2011, 03:50 PM

531 posts, read 1,982,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenchili View Post
Hogwash,
I dont work,I eat well,exercise,NO smoking,or drinking,No stress,but I developed anxiety when hormones took a plunge. This is just a stupid
statement.

Greenchili
Oh, tell me about it! I LOST the entire decade of my 40s to anxiety. I couldn't drive at night. I had a hard time driving, period! I would get panic attacks at random times, dizzy spells with no physical basis. Then the perimenopause symptoms began in earnest at 49 and, magically, no more anxiety! But now I have large cysts growing everywhere and periods that last forever unless I take hormones to stop them!

And, try this on ladies....I get COLD FLASHES! Sudden deep chills which last for hours and keep me awake. No amount of blankets makes a difference.

Sigh. War stories. Will it ever end?

Old 07-02-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat1of2 View Post
Oh, tell me about it! I LOST the entire decade of my 40s to anxiety. I couldn't drive at night. I had a hard time driving, period! I would get panic attacks at random times, dizzy spells with no physical basis. Then the perimenopause symptoms began in earnest at 49 and, magically, no more anxiety! But now I have large cysts growing everywhere and periods that last forever unless I take hormones to stop them!

And, try this on ladies....I get COLD FLASHES! Sudden deep chills which last for hours and keep me awake. No amount of blankets makes a difference.

Now I have never heard of that. I did get a month long period once though and went to the doc--I just knew I had cancer. She advised a hysterectomy and put me on some pills to stop it (sorry I don't remember what) They made it worse and I was getting progressively weaker every day because it was so heavy, but then I remembered I had some dong qwai in my medicine cabinet and took some and the period just stopped the next day. Went to my other more favorite doc who was further away for a second opinion and he said I didn't need a hysterectomy and the herbs were probably just a coincidence but that's b/c he doesn't believe in them. And no cancer--he called it "high jinks with birth control pills". I had taken a month's worth to delay a period before a Mexican vacation and then went off, since I was over 40.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:43 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,271,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat1of2 View Post

I had cold flashes when I had the anxiety,along with being nauseous most the day! Oh the joys of womanhood eh?

Old 07-03-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenchili View Post
I had cold flashes when I had the anxiety,along with being nauseous most the day! Oh the joys of womanhood eh?
Yah, adolescence was no piece of cake either. Hormones are hell.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:32 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:

Spoken like a true man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness