Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2012, 02:36 PM

1,197 posts, read 2,279,447 times

Advertisements

So from my Internet research I think I may have ruptured both my eardrums. I cleaned them out a few days ago with Q-tips (which I've since learned you are not supposed to do). After cleaning out the right ear it seemed fine. When I was cleaning out the left ear I experienced a sensation that you get when your ears pop. I figured I had pushed wax up into them as I've done this before and had a doctor remove it. I got some ear drops and attempted to flush my ears of the wax. I have not been able to do this after several applications of the ear drops and flushing with warm water multiple times. Now I have a loud ringing in my right ear as well. I can hear but everything seems very far away. I don't have pain unless I try to clean the ear or flush it with water. Then I experience pain.

Has anyone had this happen and what was the result or what did you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 05:48 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Go to an ear, nose and throat doctor, if it is a ruptured ear drum you don't want to wait to do something about it. If you are the type that produces alot of wax in your ears have the ENT clean them out , Q-tips + popped ear drum = trouble. Do Not clean your ears if you have pain, go to the Doctor right away.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:50 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,796,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
So from my Internet research I think I may have ruptured both my eardrums. I cleaned them out a few days ago with Q-tips (which I've since learned you are not supposed to do). After cleaning out the right ear it seemed fine. When I was cleaning out the left ear I experienced a sensation that you get when your ears pop. I figured I had pushed wax up into them as I've done this before and had a doctor remove it. I got some ear drops and attempted to flush my ears of the wax. I have not been able to do this after several applications of the ear drops and flushing with warm water multiple times. Now I have a loud ringing in my right ear as well. I can hear but everything seems very far away. I don't have pain unless I try to clean the ear or flush it with water. Then I experience pain.

Has anyone had this happen and what was the result or what did you do?

I do believe there would have been blood present had you ruptured the eardrums. If you ever think you've ruptured the eardrums--do not put anything like drops,water,etc in the ears and make an appt to see your doctor. Time for you to call your family physician or an ENT

Old 03-12-2012, 06:56 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
I had one eardrum rupture when i had a bad cold and was flying. As we landed, my ear hurt a lot then I felt a pop and could hear/feel air rushing out that ear. I went to my ENT the next day and he confirmed a small rupture. No blood, no treatment except to reduce the congestion.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:57 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,997,633 times
Definitely go to a doctor.....you may have just pushed enough wax so deeply into your ear that you have a hard plug! They can rectify that. If it is a rupture, it will heal, eventually, but you need to know, so you don't do more damage! Don't put anything into your ear until you've been checked out....be careful even washing your face or hair...no water in your potentially ruptured ear!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness