Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2011, 07:45 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,130,021 times

Advertisements

Recently my doctor prescribe a statin for my elevated cholesterol. I noticed a warning on the pill bottle to not drink grape fruit juice with this medicine. I asked my doctor about this and he stated that grape fruit counteracts the statin, prevents it from doing its job. Just recently a friend of mine said that he drinks grape fruit juice daily because it is a natural cholesterol reducer. Anyone ever heard of this? If so what is your take on it. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 07:59 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
I can't answer to the statins b/c I"m not on one, but I know that citrus in contraindicated in taking many types of meds so I'm not surprised. What I'm wondering though is: did the doc tell you to take co-Q-10 with your statins? Statins will deplete this and you need it.

And, what is your cholesterol level? HDL/LDL ratio? I'm wondering b/c these things have several side effects that are quite unpleasant and it seems that docs are more likely to prescribe them to those who don't have that much of a problem. Mom took them for awhile but she got so she couldn't walk anymore b/c it messed up her muscles so much. It occurred to me that a drug which makes it so you can't exercise cannot be good for your heart. Have you tried natural methods of lowering your cholesterol?

Old 10-01-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I can't answer to the statins b/c I"m not on one, but I know that citrus in contraindicated in taking many types of meds so I'm not surprised. What I'm wondering though is: did the doc tell you to take co-Q-10 with your statins? Statins will deplete this and you need it.

And, what is your cholesterol level? HDL/LDL ratio? I'm wondering b/c these things have several side effects that are quite unpleasant and it seems that docs are more likely to prescribe them to those who don't have that much of a problem. Mom took them for awhile but she got so she couldn't walk anymore b/c it messed up her muscles so much. It occurred to me that a drug which makes it so you can't exercise cannot be good for your heart. Have you tried natural methods of lowering your cholesterol?
No he didn't tell me to take co-Q-10, not sure what that is. My level was 250, as far as good and bad cholesterol is I don't remember. I've stopped taking the statin and have not told my doctor yet. I could be experiencing a rare side effect that causes 1% of takers of a statin (this is a statistic I read) to lose hair in well defined circles on the back of ones head about the size of a quarter. My barber noticed these small circles of hail loss underneath longer hair that was covering them. I did a search on statin side effects and came across this hair loss issue.

(http://www.expertsinhairloss.com/alopecia.html - broken link)

Old 10-01-2011, 12:06 PM

Interesting--someone mentioned that side effect on here a little while back. You might want to search this site a bit b/c we've discussed statins quite a lot. One thing to keep in mind is that if you watch the commercials for statin drugs very carefully, you'll see that they don't claim to prevent heart disease--isn't that why you're taking them?

Old 10-01-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Interesting--someone mentioned that side effect on here a little while back. You might want to search this site a bit b/c we've discussed statins quite a lot. One thing to keep in mind is that if you watch the commercials for statin drugs very carefully, you'll see that they don't claim to prevent heart disease--isn't that why you're taking them?
At 54 my blood pressure has risen also, but not very high. But, yes the doctor stated with elevated cholesterol and blood pressure the statin should help reduce heart attacks and stroke. Other than these issues my weight and height ratio is normal, I eat very well too. But I am a little disturb about the timing of taking the statin and losing my hair along with a warning not to drink a healthy juice because it may hinder the statin and then to find out grape fruit juice may hinder cholesterol. I certainly have heard many times folks whose body starts to ache with statins. Of course eventually I'll bring all this up with the doc.

Old 10-01-2011, 05:36 PM

3,052 posts, read 2,923,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
I asked my doctor about this and he stated that grape fruit counteracts the statin, prevents it from doing its job.
Your doctor is confused. Talk to any pharmacist. Grapefruit is an inhibitor of the enzyme which causes the breakdown of the statin; which in plain terms means that the grapefruit may cause there to be higher levels of the statin in your bloodstream. At first, this may sound wonderful. However, overly high levels of a statin in the bloodstream may lead to something called "rhabdomyolysis", meaning the muscles are being broken down. This can be a serious condition as it could lead to kidney damage.

I've always said small amounts of grapefruit juice with a statin is alright (I've been told by another pharmacist that a study which led to that warning had the patients drinking like a liter of the stuff each day)--it just can't be a significant part of someone's diet who is on a statin.

Quote:
I certainly have heard many times folks whose body starts to ache with statins.
Yes, that is the rhabdomyolysis side effect that's happening (usually it's unexplained muscle pain in the legs, sometimes arms). I'm surprised at how much more frequent the reaction is than I had presumed.

My personal feeling is though it seems we have come so far in the last century or so in terms of medical practice, I beleive there is yet so much to learn about medicine, drugs, physiology in general. Medicine definitely does benefit some people, and some people are better off taking them than not. Yet, there are also side effects, some more serious than others. Ah, if only we can know who should take the medicine and not, now that would something, wouldn't it?

Old 10-02-2011, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
Your doctor is confused. Talk to any pharmacist. Grapefruit is an inhibitor of the enzyme which causes the breakdown of the statin; which in plain terms means that the grapefruit may cause there to be higher levels of the statin in your bloodstream. At first, this may sound wonderful. However, overly high levels of a statin in the bloodstream may lead to something called "rhabdomyolysis", meaning the muscles are being broken down. This can be a serious condition as it could lead to kidney damage.

I've always said small amounts of grapefruit juice with a statin is alright (I've been told by another pharmacist that a study which led to that warning had the patients drinking like a liter of the stuff each day)--it just can't be a significant part of someone's diet who is on a statin.

Yes, that is the rhabdomyolysis side effect that's happening (usually it's unexplained muscle pain in the legs, sometimes arms). I'm surprised at how much more frequent the reaction is than I had presumed.

My personal feeling is though it seems we have come so far in the last century or so in terms of medical practice, I beleive there is yet so much to learn about medicine, drugs, physiology in general. Medicine definitely does benefit some people, and some people are better off taking them than not. Yet, there are also side effects, some more serious than others. Ah, if only we can know who should take the medicine and not, now that would something, wouldn't it?
Very interesting, and thanks for that info! I've got to get to the bottom of these bald patches on the back of my head. It's been almost 3 months since my barber noticed them and me quitting the statin. I've taken daily vitamins with no new hair growth. I'm concerned that it could be Alopecia Areata.
Alopecia areata - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-02-2011, 11:23 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,670,185 times
Quote:
At 54 my blood pressure has risen also, but not very high. But, yes the doctor stated with elevated cholesterol and blood pressure the statin should help reduce heart attacks and stroke. Other than these issues my weight and height ratio is normal, I eat very well too. But I am a little disturb about the timing of taking the statin and losing my hair along with a warning not to drink a healthy juice because it may hinder the statin and then to find out grape fruit juice may hinder cholesterol. I certainly have heard many times folks whose body starts to ache with statins. Of course eventually I'll bring all this up with the doc.
There are many new health issues you are most likely going to face thanks to being on statins, including weight gain and sexual dysfunction. Did your doctor discuss your diet and exercise level before prescribing you with statins? Did s/he make any suggestions on lowering bad cholesterol and high bp by natural means?

Old 10-02-2011, 10:53 PM

JM, do you exercise? My BP was starting to creep up when I wasn't exercising so I started and it went right back down to normal. You can probably get that cholesterol level down with lifestyle changes also.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:07 AM

Yes the doctor explained everything to me about exercising etc. in which I need to do more of. Sitting behind a desk all day doesn't help. The natural means to lower it is the approach to take for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness