Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 08:30 AM

2,391 posts, read 1,407,070 times

Advertisements

Do you consider your digestion normal, unproblematic or just fine for you? If so, what does it feel like?

For example, do you ever burp? Do you burp frequently sometimes? When you burp, do you feel it coming, as in “Oh, I’m feeling a little fullness (or discomfort) I’m going to burp” or does it just happen? Do you sometimes burp out of the blue long after you have eaten or drunk anything (say an hour after)?

Do you ever have gas pains? Do you ever get gas pains when there is no obvious culprit, like having eaten lots of beans the night before? Do you ever feel even slightly bloated after a normal-sized meal? Do you ever lack appetite, as in “I just don’t feel like eating right now,” two hours or so after a medium-sized meal?

I’m thinking that if your digestion truly is normal, you probably have never thought about these things and certainly don’t keep track, so there is that.

I am asking because I have been recovering from a mild case of pancreatitis for going on two years now, but do not want to advance my diet until I am completely back to normal digestively. (I have tried advancing it too quickly a few times before and have definitely paid the price in relapses.)

Unfortunately, I seem to have forgotten what normal actually is. I have done lots of googling about this and am still confused. For example, I have read that it is “normal” to burp up to 6 times or so after a meal. But when I asked other family members (mother, sister and husband), they all say the never or hardly ever burp. Certainly not six times after every meal. Also, it’s not clear to me if “normal” burping comes with some mild discomfort before the burp.

You can tell me about the farting too, if you feel like.

So, what do you think?

Or would you consider this normal? I have a small breakfast consisting of a home-made 12oz pineapple-(boiled) kale smoothie, 2oz of homemade, nonfat white bread and three egg whites. I eat slowly and carefully, then I have a largish, slightly uncomfortable burp 20 minutes later and a second, smaller burp 20 min after that. Are these burps a sign of lingering disfunction and abnormality or not?

Please note, I am 100% sure I am not gluten intolerant or sensitive. Also, I’m not planning on making a doctor’s appointment to see if burping twice after a small breakfast is completely normal, or not.

BTW, I think internet anonymity is just great for questions like this. Questions I would never ask at a ladies’ luncheon for example. LOL.

Last edited by Jill_Schramm; 05-03-2019 at 08:32 AM.. Reason: Added missing word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2019, 08:35 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
I rarely burp. Mostly after drinking something, maybe too fast. I had a gastric bypass in 2010 but I don't remember ever being a "big burper." I don't hear my family members burp much either and we have family dinner once a week, son-wife-3 grandkids under 15. Hope this helps.

Old 05-03-2019, 08:39 AM

45,402 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Rarely burp. Probably because doing so was slapped out of me when I was little.

Excessive burping isn't really normal, in many cases it indicates taking in too much air.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/art-20044739

Old 05-03-2019, 09:39 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,253,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
You can tell me about the farting too, if you feel like.

Ya gotta love this group.

Only on CD.

Old 05-03-2019, 10:04 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
It appears the older we get the more likely we are to burp. And yes as north beach said, those of us who are a little older remember the days when we didn't dare burp... Most of us have some indigestion from time to time that could be gas, burps, heart burn, or a few other symptoms. Most of us do not really worry about ti too much.

Old 05-03-2019, 11:30 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
I burp from time to time, especially after fizzy water or beer. I am nearly 70 now, many things I can't digest. Beans are really off my list - I get horrific gas. And I have to watch too much fat. I have mild IBS. Mostly everything is ok. These days I do take enzyme supplements before I eat, and also probiotics.

Old 05-03-2019, 01:34 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
It could be that "normal" folks just make a connection between eating specific items and specific symptoms. They only notice them after isolated indulgences but aren't aware of anything the rest of the time. They are temporary and then fade into the background again instead of being chronic. But what is the definition of "normal"? You said that supposedly people burp some average number of times after eating? Well, there's a big difference between some hardly noticeable rumble and a barking bellow that startles your dog out of a sound sleep. I don't mean to make fun of it, just trying to explain what I mean. IMHO, as with so many other things, you can become hyper-focused on it. You end up that much more sensitized to every phase of the process.

My dad was constantly concerned about digestion. In many ways it ritualized his life. His more public demonstrations were famous among family and friends. He is the only person I've ever known who replaced the vent fans in his bathroom multiple times because the motors burned out from overuse. During his last couple of years he was in and out of the hospital with intestinal problems. A big part of it was stubborn dietary neglect and being fiercely sedentary, but one specialized diagnostic scan did finally shed some light. Apparently he had some rare congenital defect in his small intestine that probably set him up for sensitivity. Don't recall what it was. One sister is much like him in this and a few other aspects interestingly enough which makes you wonder how interconnected genetic tendencies can be. Her talents could bring a school cafeteria, movie theater, or dinner party to startled silence.

My mother, other sister and I were just the opposite. She referred to me as having a "cast iron stomach". Nothing seemed to bother it. Just a silent invisible thing you carry everywhere. Couldn't manage a belch of any decibel level to impress competitive childhood friends. No one could ever explain "heartburn" to me. The dietary aid section of drug stores is uncharted territory. 60+ years later, while I do have the usual OTC symptom reliever in my medicine cabinet most of the time it expires before it gets used. Do I consider myself normal and take it for granted? Sure.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-03-2019 at 02:24 PM..

Old 05-03-2019, 01:47 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
My mother in law was obsessed about her digestion as well as constipation. It drove others nuts and she had almost no problems but what was in her mind.

Old 05-03-2019, 01:55 PM

2,391 posts, read 1,407,070 times
@Parnassia,

Thanks. No offense taken re: the burp examples.

I too used to have the proverbial “cast iron stomach,” until all of a sudden I just really didn’t.

Paying attentions to symptoms and keeping a health journal is what is typically recommended for recovery from acute pancreatitis or managing chronic pancreatitis. Just trying to figure out how much attention is too much attention.

The burping is definitely part of set of pancreatitis symptoms I get. Back months ago, I would burp over 50x/day or about every 10-20 minutes and often feel a flash of nausea or unsettledness before the burps (there were other symptoms too). That was definitely not normal. Now most of the other symptoms have gone away and I am left with about 5 to 10 burps a day, *sometimes* preceded by an awareness of my digestion but definitely not nausea or even unsettledness — more of transitory feeling of fullness.

My guess, particularly after reading the above responses is that I’m still not completely back to normal and will either have to be patient for a few more months or cave in and start taking enzymes or both.

Still happy to hear more about what normal is. I am 55 BTW if that makes any difference.

Old 05-03-2019, 02:22 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
My mother in law was obsessed about her digestion as well as constipation. It drove others nuts and she had almost no problems but what was in her mind.
I think some of this is generational too. The messages about what "normal" was that our parents grew up with were different. If you didn't conform to that accepted idea of "normal" you required medication to fix it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness