Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 05:23 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times

Advertisements

Just keep talking. We are here.

Suzy Q
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 11:19 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
I'm another success story. I had mine last year. Age 51. A year ago Feb 28th. And it's like I never had it. Never took any pain meds. Coughing was very painful at the incision site because of the pressure that put on the abdominal area. And I was sore for a few weeks. but I went up stairs, did all I wanted to do, front the first day home, just slower than normal. Other than that no issues or side effects. Healed well. It's like it never happened.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:50 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
I had mine last year and they took it all, ovaries, uterus, cervix, and even my appendix because it was all "stuck" together with endo tissue. I was already a year out from menopause and didn't think I would need even notice anything but at my one year post checkup I complained about being a total slug with brain fog and depression so the Dr gave me take a topical estrogen and within a few weeks I felt better than I had in years.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:48 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvintar View Post
>> Do you know when to expect the results from your lung x-rays?

I have an appointment with the surgeon on Wednesday - where we're supposed to "discuss cancer treatments." I'll ask him then. [I had a 37 cm in diameter tumor removed from my ovary 2 weeks ago, along with a complete hysterectomy.]

It's so weird; I get in these forums and dump all my problems on the people here, and cry a bit, and then I feel better. The problem is, these strangers are serving as the family I no longer have. It's probably not entirely fair to the people here, though my guess, I'm not the only lonely person on the planet...

It helps to "talk," if only in cyberspace. You get perspective somehow.
The second part of that sentence is true but not the first part. If someone really doesn't want to listen, all they have to do is go to another part of the forum--it's much easier than walking away from a sad person in the flesh b/c you'll never know they walked away. I think your concerns are perfectly valid and you're not a whiner at all.

All I really wanted to say is that I really hope they got it all and that it's not cancer and that you'll soon be feeling much better. And yes it does help to talk--so please keep us posted.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:25 AM

915 posts, read 2,128,855 times
>> All I really wanted to say is that I really hope they got it all and that it's not cancer and that you'll soon be feeling much better. And yes it does help to talk--so please keep us posted.

Thank you so much. I had a really bad few minutes yesterday where I vocalzied all the "catastrophic expectations" (to use a term from Fritz Perls) that were floating around in my mind, and once those were out, and I cried about them, I almost immediately felt better.

The point is, I'm not dead YET, and may or may not be for some time. And I've enjoyed a really good life so far, despite all the ordinary wear and tear, and disappointments, that everyone goes through.

Last edited by mvintar; 03-25-2012 at 09:54 AM..

Old 03-26-2012, 07:38 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvintar View Post
The point is, I'm not dead YET, and may or may not be for some time. And I've enjoyed a really good life so far, despite all the ordinary wear and tear, and disappointments, that everyone goes through.
Hey that's a good mantra for you: "I ain't dead YET and I still have work to do!" A great one for anybody and if you don't mind, I want to use it too.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Hey that's a good mantra for you: "I ain't dead YET and I still have work to do!" A great one for anybody and if you don't mind, I want to use it too.
Yes, if it helps you, certainly; had a bad morning this morning, but knowing that these aches and pains are normal is very comforting. I'm out of the powerful meds they prescribed for me and I'm feeling burning in my lungs and my usual aches and pains. But I had a good cry and I felt better. I started teaching again last week (private lessons) and nobody quit, I got three new students and sold a bunch of violins, so I feel like I'm going to make it and not so worried about money.

I'll know Wednesday if I'll need to take cancer treatments. I have a colonoscopy scheduled for the middle of next month, so maybe he'll put the treatments off for a bit.

It was good to hear about other women who made it through their hysterectomies just fine. I wonder if he took my cervix. I'll ask him. There's so much that I could find out about but I just really don't want to know; I'm afraid I'll dwell on it too much.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:40 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,271,376 times
So many of my friends had positive experiences in their hysterectomies I asked my doctor for one, he was horrified and said, "it's not something you do by choice"...well I want one! Never having period pain again!

Old 03-27-2012, 05:10 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,426,125 times
I had an ovariohysterectomy in 1992, when I was 46. No pain or recovery issues at all. Could have gone back to work the next day. Never took any hormones, although the surgeon threw a fit about that. No menopause symptoms at all. Wish I'd done it 10 years earlier.

I had a large tumor but it turned out to be benign. I hope you get the same good news on Wednesday!

Old 03-27-2012, 07:16 AM

>> I had a large tumor but it turned out to be benign. I hope you get the same good news on Wednesday!

Oh, i hope so, too!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness