Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 09:07 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,403,880 times

Advertisements

I heard something on the radio that made me kinda mad. They had some Dr on there and were letting people call in with questions. One of the radio personalities (an older black man) said that everyone he knows has been having heart attacks and should he be taking an aspirin right now. And the doc told him yes and that he should take a low grade aspirin every day. He then went on to say that so many black folks are having heart attacks and strokes and the remedy is taking aspirin daily.

How the hell is taking aspirin daily healthy? It’s not a natural mineral or vitamin. He didn’t say a word about changing your diet and avoiding foods that cause heart disease. Many black folks are unhealthy because they eat poorly. I know for a fact that many typical black cookouts and family gatherings are nothing but fattening soul food, dripping in salt, grease, and fat (even the greens have bacon in them!). Its so maddening that so many docs don’t know a thing about nutrition and how foods can harm the body. And blacks need to know that more than anybody. Diabetes is rampant, obesity, cancer, heart disease and now they’re finding autism in children is growing and may also be linked to obesity in mothers.

So I wrote the station manager. I asked that they forward my message on to the DJ with several links on studies, books and even films on how diet affects the body so he could better educate himself. I also suggested that they feature a nutritionist to come on to speak about about this

I just can't fathom a doctor of medicine recommending popping a pill instead of diet and exercise. Its maddening!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 09:13 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,895,971 times
Well for one thing no one should be making statements over the radio prescribing medications, whether OTC or RX.

Aspirin could be dangerous to people with a history of GI bleed, ulcers, or a number of other conditions. It is dangerous to make a recommendation like that not knowing the health history of each person who is hearing the information.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Well for one thing no one should be making statements over the radio prescribing medications, whether OTC or RX.

Aspirin could be dangerous to people with a history of GI bleed, ulcers, or a number of other conditions. It is dangerous to make a recommendation like that not knowing the health history of each person who is hearing the information.
Right. It also made me sad because this is an urban radio station in Baltimore City and with listeners who may be on the lower socioecnomic side who may not have the resources to do their own research and may take this at face value.

Popping more pills is not the answer. they had an opportunity to really educate and I think they blew it.

I also read only about all the side effects of taking aspirin daily and that when you stop it, the body rebounds and the heart risks go right back up.

Moderator cut: take the conspiracy theories to Politics&Other Controversies

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 04-11-2012 at 09:45 AM..

Old 04-11-2012, 09:31 AM

50,514 posts, read 64,453,451 times
Whoa, get a grip. It is widely accepted that many people can be spared stroke or heart attacks by simply taking a children's aspirin every day. The only ones who should not are those taking blood thinners such as Plavix or Warfarin.
Of course, you are right that you shouldn't JUST do that if you are obese, but it will help.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Whoa, get a grip. It is widely accepted that many people can be spared stroke or heart attacks by simply taking a children's aspirin every day. The only ones who should not are those taking blood thinners such as Plavix or Warfarin.
Of course, you are right that you shouldn't JUST do that if you are obese, but it will help.
Just because its widely accept does not mean its healthy or even a good idea, specifically for this listening audience.

I'd think a doctor would advise the healthiest solutions. Diet and exercise are proven to prevent and reduce heart disease. As a professional why submit to this pop-a-pill mentality?

Just another thing wrong with America.

Moderator cut: off topic, take it to Politics

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 04-11-2012 at 09:44 AM..

Old 04-11-2012, 09:46 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,964,011 times
What's even sadder is that the general population is so brainwashed, that whatever a so-called "expert" says is taken at face value . . . people are pretty shallow when it comes to thinking about things - I guess most people would rather not think, are too beaten down or tired to think, or just have no natural skepticism or curiosity about motives or bandaid approaches to complex problems.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:54 AM

18,968 posts, read 11,646,238 times
Speaking of what's "wrong with America" - IMO, the OP is walking a fine line with statements like "blacks need to know that more than anybody". Heart disease is a problem that affects all races and socio-economic demographics in this country.

Aspirin has been called a wonder drug and there's study after study unveiling more potential benefits for most people to take a baby aspirin every day. The link between aspirin and heart disease has been accepted for years now, but recent news-making studies have found links between aspirin and cancer defense, too. Clearly, there are exceptions and it's only one factor in an arsenal of healthier living that includes a varied diet and exercise. Aspirin, besides for pain relief, is never prescribed 'instead of', only 'in addition to'.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Speaking of what's "wrong with America" - IMO, the OP is walking a fine line with statements like "blacks need to know that more than anybody". Heart disease is a problem that affects all races and socio-economic demographics in this country.
Yes, heart disease affects everyone but as a black woman I am very familiar with the typical "black" diet and see the rates of obesity, heart disease and diabetes in the black community.

This is also a radio broadcast to a majority black audience. I think the Dr. did a disservice. Instead, he could have given both options. But I'd be more inclined to promote the healthier one.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:48 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,975,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
I heard something on the radio that made me kinda mad. They had some Dr on there and were letting people call in with questions. One of the radio personalities (an older black man) said that everyone he knows has been having heart attacks and should he be taking an aspirin right now. And the doc told him yes and that he should take a low grade aspirin every day. He then went on to say that so many black folks are having heart attacks and strokes and the remedy is taking aspirin daily.

How the hell is taking aspirin daily healthy? It’s not a natural mineral or vitamin. He didn’t say a word about changing your diet and avoiding foods that cause heart disease. Many black folks are unhealthy because they eat poorly. I know for a fact that many typical black cookouts and family gatherings are nothing but fattening soul food, dripping in salt, grease, and fat (even the greens have bacon in them!). Its so maddening that so many docs don’t know a thing about nutrition and how foods can harm the body. And blacks need to know that more than anybody. Diabetes is rampant, obesity, cancer, heart disease and now they’re finding autism in children is growing and may also be linked to obesity in mothers.

So I wrote the station manager. I asked that they forward my message on to the DJ with several links on studies, books and even films on how diet affects the body so he could better educate himself. I also suggested that they feature a nutritionist to come on to speak about about this

I just can't fathom a doctor of medicine recommending popping a pill instead of diet and exercise. Its maddening!

Wow - guess you you missed all the info out in the last decade about aspirin being a true wonder drug?

While the doctor should have of course mentioned good dietary habits and reducing salt intake, it was probably just as oversight and nothing to be so upset about.

An aspirin a day is saving many lives.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:50 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,975,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post

Actually, blacks are at MUCH higher risks of stroke than any other demographic, so there is nothing wrong with targeting info to black folks on this subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness