Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 10:17 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,421,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
It's been five years since I broke my fibula and had a plate and screws put in. I still get swollen and sore when I walk too much.

You might try riding a bike for exercise, it doesn't put the same strain on your lower leg as walking and it will help smooth out the scars (as you build muscle underneath them), help with the swelling, and make your leg feel stronger and better in general. I'm sure it's possible to overdo bike riding too, but usually I end up with a sore butt long before I would end up with a sore leg so I can tell when to stop
I broke my ankle about two years ago, and I still experience swelling, especially in the summertime.

When I was in physical therapy, I found that using a recumbent bike actually gave my ankle a better workout than a "regular" bike. YMMV. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 08:09 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
I broke my ankle about two years ago, and I still experience swelling, especially in the summertime.

When I was in physical therapy, I found that using a recumbent bike actually gave my ankle a better workout than a "regular" bike. YMMV. Good luck!
That's a good point. The bike that I ride most often is a Townie which is a semi-recumbent, meaning that your pedals are somewhat in front of you rather than straight down. I picked it because I can touch the ground easily on it even when I have the seat adjusted high enough.

Old 10-06-2013, 06:02 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times
My mom's leg is in a lot of pain, it was 1 year this August since her break/operation. She's been in pain for a few months. She had a cat scan of her leg and has found out it's not healing well. They think there is a crack. She may need an MRI now. when she walks she hears a clicking noise. She may go for a second opinion. She was told she may need a knee replacement at some point which she does not want to do. She can still walk and drive though but she's in a job where she's on her feet a lot and she cannot afford to retire just yet. I will say she has come along way since 1 year ago but she's so depressed over this leg not healing right. She is waiting t hear from the orthopedic soon.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:00 AM

1 posts, read 1,348 times
Hi i broke my fibula some years ago. I have screws in it. After all these years i still cant walk like i use to my ankle is swollen all the time and i cant stand for long periods or it hurts bad. I have worked in warehouses and its not working at all because i cant stand long or move to fast. Even if i sit for long as soon as i stand it hurts like hec. I wanted to know if i could get disability for my leg? Id rather work but jobs sometimes see that i walk with little limp so they dont think i can do the job.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,113 times
Hi! I had ORIF surgery June 16, 2014. I've been wearing the walking boot ever since. I was given the ok to walk in the boot last Thursday. Now, my foot and ankle hurt and my ankle feels stiff. My foot also turned really purple. Is this normal after starting to walk?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness