Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 10:58 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,855,225 times

Advertisements

I have a great deal of swallowing 'large' pills...the type of pills that are common in vitamins. I couldn't swallow any pills at all until I was in my twenties, and large pills still make me gag and cough them back up.

My issue is that I recently got some amino acid gel caps because I suffer from very low energy levels and I was hoping they would help. But try as I might I just can't get the suckers down.

I did discover that the powder inside the gel caps is tasteless and I can eat it mixed in ice cream...but I can't eat ice cream 3x a day. I don't eat any other 'soft' foods like yogurt.

So any suggestions what I can mix the powder into? Or suggestions for getting down big pills if you happen to have a hyper-reactive gag reflex?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 11:14 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,802,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
I have a great deal of swallowing 'large' pills...the type of pills that are common in vitamins. I couldn't swallow any pills at all until I was in my twenties, and large pills still make me gag and cough them back up.

My issue is that I recently got some amino acid gel caps because I suffer from very low energy levels and I was hoping they would help. But try as I might I just can't get the suckers down.

I did discover that the powder inside the gel caps is tasteless and I can eat it mixed in ice cream...but I can't eat ice cream 3x a day. I don't eat any other 'soft' foods like yogurt.

So any suggestions what I can mix the powder into? Or suggestions for getting down big pills if you happen to have a hyper-reactive gag reflex?
you can mix it in orange juice.
I can't swallow large pills either and hate swallowing small ones. I always request liquid when my doctor writes prescriptions. I can't always get liquid but my doctor and pharmacist know I am just not going to attempt to swallow certain size pills.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:09 AM

20,937 posts, read 28,449,340 times
Mix it in apple sauce, that's what my mom did when I was a kid. I could not swallow pills either until I was 18. Now I have no trouble.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:23 PM

689 posts, read 2,162,568 times
If they're tasteless, just put the powder on your tongue and take a sip of whatever you like, or water. Even if they have a slight taste, get used to it. Don't expect everything you eat to taste as good as ice cream.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:36 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,531,260 times
We have used ice cream and pudding when our children were young.
For our dogs and cats we use meat, Baby Food.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:51 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,167,785 times
These are all good suggestions. Make sure to ask your pharmacist before you crush pescription meds because some lose their effectiveness that way.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:14 PM

350 posts, read 848,774 times
This may be a stupid question... but do you put water in your mouth first, then toss in the pills and swallow... or vice versa. I ask because I always assumed everyone did it this way, then one day my aunt saw me do it and acted like she never seen that, since then I noticed most people I know actually put the pills in first, I tried it and found it waaaay harder. I later suggested it to a friend who was complaining they "cant swallow pills" and they said it worked.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:36 PM
ino

680 posts, read 2,500,452 times
You mention 'pill', so I guess it's a tablet. Cut it in half, or break it up into smaller pieces and spread it amongst jam or something on a piece of bread. Or even just put it in jam or something on a spoon and gulp it down.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:22 AM

20,937 posts, read 28,449,340 times
I put the pill in first then sip water I used to have trouble as kid swallowing pills, now I can swallow 2 pills at once and sometimes really tiny pills like my zyrtec I can swallow without water.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:41 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,855,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohazco View Post
This may be a stupid question... but do you put water in your mouth first, then toss in the pills and swallow... or vice versa. I ask because I always assumed everyone did it this way, then one day my aunt saw me do it and acted like she never seen that, since then I noticed most people I know actually put the pills in first, I tried it and found it waaaay harder. I later suggested it to a friend who was complaining they "cant swallow pills" and they said it worked.
You know, I've never heard of this suggestion before (filling your mouth w/ water first, then adding the pill). I tried it and it really does work! Today I was able to swallow a pill I would normally have to cut into quarters in one go.

I think putting adding the water first makes the pill more or less float. It doesn't touch the tongue, so you aren't as aware that you're swallowing it.

I never would have thought of this on my own...thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness