Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2012, 11:29 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,188 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever gone into shock? I have read about it and I wanted to know has anyone ever experienced it? Apparently its when you are severally injured your body starts to prepare to die or to fight to live.. You may be disoriented and you may not feel those injuries or you aren't aware of them.
I have read stories of people who were really hurt and tried to escape somewhere unaware they are hurt and i have read of people who were in such a state of shock even without life threatening injuries they died anyway(there is several levels of shock)...

I ask this because I wonder what some of the victims were feeling during that movie massacre in Colorado, was there at least a moment of calm before death or while they waited to be saved. I just hate to imagine them being fully awake in horror and pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 01:18 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,997,633 times
Shock is a physical reaction to horrific injury and bloodloss....it's not the same as the adreneline rush that is called "fight or flight" response.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Shock is a physical reaction to horrific injury and bloodloss....it's not the same as the adreneline rush that is called "fight or flight" response.
i didn't say it was i'm not talking about adrenaline rushes i'm talking about going into shock while dying or close to death

Old 07-21-2012, 05:49 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,124,318 times
I went into shock the last two times I had renal failure. I do not remember going to the hospital or anything until I woke up in the ICU (4 days and 9 days respectively).

It is nice to know that had I died I would not have been cognizant and in pain.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:14 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
When I broke my leg, it didn't hurt until about two hours later when I was in the ER. When I first got into the house after breaking it, my foot was completely facing backwards. I turned it around to where it was supposed to be and sat on the floor while my husband tidied up the house before calling an ambulance (I couldn't get down the stairs to the car, I had crawled up to the the door but couldn't crawl down). I wasn't feeling any pain from it when they splinted it or picked me up off the floor, to the point that they said it might just be sprained. (I didn't tell the paramedics that my foot had been facing the wrong way, because I didn't feel like talking about it). My blood pressure was really high and I was cold and shaky, but it didn't hurt at all for a while.

Other bones I've broken that weren't so major, I've felt those right away.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:58 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
Has anyone ever gone into shock? I have read about it and I wanted to know has anyone ever experienced it? Apparently its when you are severally injured your body starts to prepare to die or to fight to live.. You may be disoriented and you may not feel those injuries or you aren't aware of them.
I have read stories of people who were really hurt and tried to escape somewhere unaware they are hurt and i have read of people who were in such a state of shock even without life threatening injuries they died anyway(there is several levels of shock)...

I ask this because I wonder what some of the victims were feeling during that movie massacre in Colorado, was there at least a moment of calm before death or while they waited to be saved. I just hate to imagine them being fully awake in horror and pain.
I have. I was in a car accident about 10 years ago.

I remember nothing of what happened with exception of a few flashes. My friends have told me most of what I know. I was completely unaware that I was severely injured. When the emts arrived, I became combative because they kept trying to treat me (the idea of this makes me laugh because I am the calmest person ever). I was told I had alteration of awareness which I guess was part of the shock (?).

Basically, if I had died, I wouldn't have been in pain eventhough I was badly hurt. Luckily, they were able to restrain me and I came back to reality as they were taking me out of the ambulance. Then I felt it all.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
When I broke my leg, it didn't hurt until about two hours later when I was in the ER. When I first got into the house after breaking it, my foot was completely facing backwards. I turned it around to where it was supposed to be and sat on the floor while my husband tidied up the house before calling an ambulance (I couldn't get down the stairs to the car, I had crawled up to the the door but couldn't crawl down). I wasn't feeling any pain from it when they splinted it or picked me up off the floor, to the point that they said it might just be sprained. (I didn't tell the paramedics that my foot had been facing the wrong way, because I didn't feel like talking about it). My blood pressure was really high and I was cold and shaky, but it didn't hurt at all for a while.

Other bones I've broken that weren't so major, I've felt those right away.

SWEET LORD

Old 07-25-2012, 05:34 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
I have never been severely injured, but apparently I will go into shock at even the slightest injury and fainted at my first blood draw. I sprained my ankle once and would have fainted if I hadn't been able to sit down and put my head down. Knowing this about myself rather concerns me though b/c if would seem that if I were injured more severely I might be one of those people who would die from shock rather than injuries. Both of my dd's seem to be the same way so we try to be really careful and know that if we start to feel faint or nauseated that we should get down and lower our heads. My mother also said that she fainted at her first blood draw so it would seem to be a genetic tendency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness