Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 01:36 PM

326 posts, read 949,605 times

Advertisements

Once I found I was gluten intolerant and cut it out of my diet my hypothyroid actually improved. I no longer take meds for it and am going to have my blood tests again next week. I think I'll probably have to start taking something again because I've got a lot of lethargy and hair loss going on that has only recently reappeared. I also used to suffer terribly from Duhring's. It's gotten much better but still is there and I have an occasional flare if I get sloppy with avoiding gluten. I have it on my lower back near my tailbone. I also used to have a horrible rash on the palm of my left hand that went away within 2 weeks of following a gluten free diet. It's crazy how all of these autoimmune disorders are intertwined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
Sorry that I misunderstood. It's late and past my bedtime. Can't get my dog to come inside or eat, long story. I have a friend who has a disease (maybe celiac) who is intolerant to gluten. He won't follow a gluten-free diet due to his work schedule. When we go out to eat sometimes, he has to go to the bathroom frequently. Is that normal for either diseases~?
It's too bad your friend won't follow a gluten free diet. It's not that hard. Even eating out. It does take some diligence and learning where gluten is sneakily hiding in things like soy sauce or salad dressings.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
I'm looking for a little advice here. Just went for my second appointment. I was on 50mcg of Synthroid. My TSH went from 9 to 5.9 T4 Free within normal range. T3 Free went from 118 to 95. That was about 6 weeks. Doc moved me to 75 mcg and said he'll see me in 6 months. Is that normal? I thought he should be retesting me in 6 weeks not 6 months to ensure my numbers are going down.

I also asked him about the possibility of me getting tested for Celiacs and he said I was "chasing" something that isnt there. I'm still perpetually tired, whether i get 4 hours of sleep or 12 hours, I'm still tired within 2-3 hours of waking. Is it worth going to a GI doc to maybe have them test it out?
Just go a few weeks following a gluten free diet and see what happens. But if you are going to be tested for Celiac disease then you will want to keep on eating the way you are. If you eliminate gluten then your Celiac tests won't show anything.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:20 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ForTheSea View Post
Once I found I was gluten intolerant and cut it out of my diet my hypothyroid actually improved. I no longer take meds for it and am going to have my blood tests again next week. I think I'll probably have to start taking something again because I've got a lot of lethargy and hair loss going on that has only recently reappeared. I also used to suffer terribly from Duhring's. It's gotten much better but still is there and I have an occasional flare if I get sloppy with avoiding gluten. I have it on my lower back near my tailbone. I also used to have a horrible rash on the palm of my left hand that went away within 2 weeks of following a gluten free diet. It's crazy how all of these autoimmune disorders are intertwined.
I had a subtle gluten sensitivity, and I've had Hashimoto's all my life. My current doc has been keeping an eye on the levels of thyroid antibodies, and when they got slightly elevated, she said to cut out gluten and wheat, she says it affects the thyroid. So that was interesting.

I've had 2 colonoscopies (due to family history), and my doc knows I have a slight gluten sensitivity (the IgA test), but has never suggested taking advantage of the colonoscopies to check tissue. I've never heard of that. I wish there were some way to standardize medical knowledge so that doctors are all on the same page. I'll ask about this, next time.

Anyone with Celiac, or food allergies, or auto-immune diseases can normalize their symptoms with a treatment called NAET, it's an allergy elimination technique that programs your body to no longer be allergic. It's non-medical (no shots, medicines, culture-taking involved), and is often performed by acupuncturists (Doctors of Oriental Medicine) who have devoted their careers to this technique. I brought my thyroid antibodies down to normal (which the medical profession says is impossible, but I have the lab results to prove it), and eliminated environmental allergies as well as poor nutrient absorption with this technique. You can Google your locale and "NAET" to find a practitioner near you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness