Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 06:50 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times

Advertisements

I've been having pain since Dec of last year up under my ribs closer to my sternum (I'm 29). Its a comes and go kind of pain and its not pinpointed to any thing like food and its not a double over pain. I had a ultrasound in may of that area (at an ER) and it showed nothing. The pain started after a root canal in Oct of last year (as did a lot of other problems including a constant orange tongue, shaking and constant body vibrating feelings and feelings of weakness). I can't say I'm even remotely thrilled about my gastro's decision to do this and I'm not even confident this is necessary. They said they stop at the small intestine but my pain seems to be closer to the middle of my upper abdomen (literally almost under my ribs). I'm even less than thrilled about what has to be done before the procedure (drinking the 4 liters of laxative plus a liquid enema 2 hours before) nor being put to sleep. I already have a medical condition that deems me chronically dehydrated and causes extreme drops in my blood pressure (54/32). I called my gastro and left a message last week about my reserve on having this done and never got a call back. I'm suppose to have it done tomorrow and am not allowed to eat and can only occasionally drink some clear liquids today and start the PEG tonight at 5. I feel like I just want to call them and tell them where THEY can shove it.

How necessary are these procedures as opposed to alternative methods (if any) can they use before jumping straight to an evasive procedure with sedation? I feel like they just want to jump straight to the most expensive procedure first when it could be something not even needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 09:24 AM

523 posts, read 3,805,465 times
quite difficult to comment on the appropriateness of the investigation without knowing the full history of your symptoms, and what has been done thus far.

in general terms, considering colonoscopy after a negative ultrasound for chronic right upper quadrant pain, even in a 29 year old, would not be especially unusual. the colon (large intestine) does run from just under your liver (on the right side, below your ribs), across to your spleen on the left side (also just below your ribs) so pain in this area could originate from your colon. it could equally arise from a number of other things, such as small intestine, lungs, or biliary tree.

in someone of your age, presuming you have no other more sinister symptoms, i'd imagine the diagnosis will likely turn out to be irritable bowel syndrome - however this is a diagnosis of exclusion, and shouldn't be arrived at until appropriate investigations have come back negative (e.g. scopes).

i wish you the best of luck, and remind you that ultimately the choice is yours as to whether you have the investigation or not. although you likely won't have a general anaesthetic, the procedure is normally done under the type of sedation which means you will remember little to nothing of the scope itself.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:40 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
I'm seventy-four and have more serious maladies than an ol' dawg, and I have had it done a couple of times.

Once you do it successfully, it's like kayaking over Niagara Falls - you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:19 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,245,749 times
Probably the orange tongue is coming from acid reflux, which would also cause that painful sensation exactly where yours is. Now, you would think they'd just put a scope in your tummy and look, but the fact of the matter is, could be your colon is goofed up somehow, and this is causing things to back up in the digestive tract. I mean, if you have experienced constipation perhaps, this would add to this theory the docs are evidently going on. In any case, I agree with the other posters here, that a colonoscopy is normally really easy to do, the prep is indeed the most horrible part, but once they give you this twilight sleepy feel-good stuff, and they put these warm blankets all over you, and you roll over on your side, and if you feel ANY discomfort, yelp some and they'll give you a little more drugs, and it will be the best day you've had all year! I kid you not!

But to me, since this all happened after a dental procedure, it's possible you have a systemic infection which is causing your body to be too acidic, but that should have showed up in bloodwork. Also, sometimes the liver can get sluggish for whatever reason, and occasionally this will show itself as an orange tongue. What I don't like is how you're shaky and weak, which that part might add to the idea of you needing a colonoscopy, since could be it's not operating properly and you're not getting your nutrients. I DO think you're pretty sick. I hope the procedure will turn up something. And by all means, if you do NOT want this, for gosh sakes call down to the gastro place and cancel, and then make an appointment with the doc, and when you go to that appointment, start to drill down on what else it could be besides your gut! I DOES seem like they just automatically do a colonoscopy anytime the digestive tract (from the mouth to the anus) acts up. But it IS with good reason, because now and then, they do find an irregularity that the sooner they clear up, the better off you'll be. It really will be painless, not embarassing at all, and the drugs are FANTASTIC. Let us know what happens!!!

Old 08-22-2012, 01:35 PM

659 posts, read 1,014,782 times
It's a breeze. Drink lots of water! I drank like 8-10 bottles the night before when I had to drink the salty stuff. Makes you feel better and it helps keep your BP up.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:37 PM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
My friend had a similar pain and it turned out to be a hiatal hernia...has that been ruled out for you?

Old 08-22-2012, 07:07 PM

723 posts, read 2,193,648 times
i'm in early 20s and have been having the same issue. please let me know what you find out.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:26 PM

So I've drank the entire 4 liters (1 gal) of laxative stuff. Cant say much has happened.. Went a few times that's it . It says anything u pass is normally clear after 2 liters but after 4 let's just say it's still not ..maybe it ll hit me later ? Any who I found out at 3 this afternoon they're also going down my throat into my stomach... This isn't anywhere in my paperwork or pre op information so I was pretty pissed about this new info. I guess I can be sore after and I've already called out of work for this and was told to not miss fri... So I guess well see what happens after this lovely day tomorrow is over.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:37 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
They did both ends on my first colonoscopy as I have GERD. Turns out I also had h.pylori which they found by scoping my throat and stomach. I felt nothing and was not sore at all at either end.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:11 AM

its now 5 am. procedure at 9... Nothing really ever happened with the drink , went a few times thats it .. Nothing ever came out clear like it said it should and I only went one time after I drank the last of it at 930 soo who knows. I have a massive migraine from it though and I'm shaking pretty uncontrollably, all my muscles feel really sore like it hurts to move now. I feel like my whole body is vibrating. I forsee me being not even close to the ideal patient today. I'm already in a pretty pissy mood and i'm not even there yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness