Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 05:55 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times

Advertisements

I have to go see the orthopedic surgeon, and I'm worried I'm gonna end up needing surgery. Has anyone had one? How long were you out of work? Was it worth it? I had an ankle reconstruction a few years ago, and I'm not sure the pain was worth the outcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 07:24 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
I have to go see the orthopedic surgeon, and I'm worried I'm gonna end up needing surgery. Has anyone had one? How long were you out of work? Was it worth it? I had an ankle reconstruction a few years ago, and I'm not sure the pain was worth the outcome.
Depends on the kind of surgery you need. I had an ACL problem that was relieved by simply drilling holes into the femur and letting the marrow leak down through the holes. It was done arthroscopically, and I was awake for the whole thing and watched it on the monitor. I'm not very squeamish about that kind of thing though, and I thought it was amazingly cool to watch. I'm guessing that isn't very normal

I didn't notice a lot of pain right after surgery (it was done at the surgicenter and not in a hospital setting), and made it to the car and then from the car to the house (hubby drove, of course) with just propping up from my husband.

But then the pain meds wore off and it was pretty gruelling for the next 24 hours. After THAT - it was very sore, but tolerable, and I was able to hobble around the house, go to the bathroom without anyone helping, and so on. The third day I was limping, and just generally uncomfortable, and achy.

At that point I was told to allow some weight on the foot but not to lean against it, and that I had to start walking around a little more to keep the circulation flowing and prevent stiffening of the joint.

A couple of months later, and my knee felt better than it had in years. It's been several years since I had the surgery and I'm SO grateful that I had it. I'll need it on the other knee and I can say unequivocably that it is 100% worth the couple of months discomfort and the initial days of significant pain.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:36 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I guess I'll have to see what the surgeon says. Right now I'm in constant pain, unable to raise my leg when it's at a 90 degree handle, enduring constant popping and instability and a burning pain running diagonally threw my knee. I have a big brace to immobilize it right now, but as a teacher I can't just take off for a surgery.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

I guess I'll have to see what the surgeon says. Right now I'm in constant pain, unable to raise my leg when it's at a 90 degree handle, enduring constant popping and instability and a burning pain running diagonally threw my knee. I have a big brace to immobilize it right now, but as a teacher I can't just take off for a surgery.
You kind of could though. If you're a teacher, that means winter/Christmas break is coming. Christmas is on a Tuesday. So you could take that Friday off for surgery, spend the weekend being very sore and uncomfortable, Monday you'd be in *just* enough shape that you can walk around the house. Christmas day you'd be okay to travel as long as someone else is driving and you have a cane (I don't recommend crutches - they just get in the way).

The rest of the week and the following weekend is total recuperation and the beginning of physical therapy. School doesn't resume til at -least- the following Wednesday, January 2. By that time you'll be in PT, be only a little sore when you try to bend your leg a lot, or straighten it out completely. You still won't be doing jumping jacks yet but you'll be in fine shape for returning to teaching.

No strenuous exercising for awhile, no chasing kids down the halls and you'd want to still use your cane, even if you're not limping anymore, because it's a deterrant of *other* people so they're more careful about not bumping into you.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:59 PM

I've thought about that. We have a 1/2 day Thursday and no school Friday anyway, and we don't go back until the Tuesday. I'm just worried about the recovery time. I should see the doctor this week as long as there is an opening. I'm on the wait list right now.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:11 PM

Good luck, and honestly, if you're in that kind of pain now, you'll be in -less- pain *during* recovery. You'll just need to take it easy and be serious about only doing the exercises that the PT and your doctor recommend, and not think that you can sprint or jump around or go bowling just because you're feeling a lot better.

Total recovery is usually less than 6 months - if you heal quickly it can be as soon as 3 months. The first few days really are the toughest, and then following that, the first two PT sessions are the toughest because the PT will really push you.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:13 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
My son in law had one a few years ago. He is a diver. He had no long term problems, plays basketball, coaches, lives a normal very busy and athletic life. Listen to the surgeon, and write your questions down for them, ask at your meeting.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:54 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,230,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Depends on the kind of surgery you need. I had an ACL problem that was relieved by simply drilling holes into the femur and letting the marrow leak down through the holes. It was done arthroscopically, and I was awake for the whole thing and watched it on the monitor. I'm not very squeamish about that kind of thing though, and I thought it was amazingly cool to watch. I'm guessing that isn't very normal

I didn't notice a lot of pain right after surgery (it was done at the surgicenter and not in a hospital setting), and made it to the car and then from the car to the house (hubby drove, of course) with just propping up from my husband.

But then the pain meds wore off and it was pretty gruelling for the next 24 hours. After THAT - it was very sore, but tolerable, and I was able to hobble around the house, go to the bathroom without anyone helping, and so on. The third day I was limping, and just generally uncomfortable, and achy.

At that point I was told to allow some weight on the foot but not to lean against it, and that I had to start walking around a little more to keep the circulation flowing and prevent stiffening of the joint.

A couple of months later, and my knee felt better than it had in years. It's been several years since I had the surgery and I'm SO grateful that I had it. I'll need it on the other knee and I can say unequivocably that it is 100% worth the couple of months discomfort and the initial days of significant pain.

All due respect, that doesn't sound like surgery for an 'ACL problem"

You are describing microfracture surgery which is done for osteochondral defects. Maybe you didn't have any instability and it was determined that you didn't need a reconstruction.

The OP is describing typical symptoms of instability, the only fix for that is ACL reconstruction and that is a long recovery.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:55 PM

Well my insurance company has decided that everyone else is wrong and 4 weeks of PT will fix it. Mind you they decided that with out any test results, or reports from the Ortho. UGH!! I'm sooo upset. The pain is killing me, and I'm pretty sure I won't even be able to do PT. I will set up the PT appointment tomorrow. Oh they also said I have to wear an immobilizing brace for 4 weeks, and take pain meds for 4 weeks too. Why the hell do I have to suffer like this??? I have one week done with the meds and immobilization, but depending on when the PT starts I may end up at 6 weeks for meds and immobilization. I should add I have a collagen disorder that makes my bones very brittle and causes my ligaments and tendons to tear very easy. I also have a hyper-mobility disorder. The insurance company said that didn't factor in their decision.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Well my insurance company has decided that everyone else is wrong and 4 weeks of PT will fix it. Mind you they decided that with out any test results, or reports from the Ortho. UGH!! I'm sooo upset. The pain is killing me, and I'm pretty sure I won't even be able to do PT. I will set up the PT appointment tomorrow. Oh they also said I have to wear an immobilizing brace for 4 weeks, and take pain meds for 4 weeks too. Why the hell do I have to suffer like this??? I have one week done with the meds and immobilization, but depending on when the PT starts I may end up at 6 weeks for meds and immobilization. I should add I have a collagen disorder that makes my bones very brittle and causes my ligaments and tendons to tear very easy. I also have a hyper-mobility disorder. The insurance company said that didn't factor in their decision.
Heh you have Ahler's Danlose Syndrome? I have that. I don't have the brittle bones that's typical with ADS, but I do have the hypermobility and superelastic skin.

Insurance companies wouldn't factor ADS in, because ADS would fall under the "disabilities" category and not "illness." You'd have to go on SSI if it was that bad, and you'd have to actually be breaking bones to qualify.

The brace might end up being the best thing for you at this point, at least to start with, considering your collagen disorder in with the rest of it. Keeping the joint moveable, but more tightly controlled, could help re-train the muscles around it and prevent stress fractures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness