Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 05:35 PM

95 posts, read 1,294,226 times

Advertisements

Here is a question for doctors and patients alike.

Doctors spend much time and money in receiving their education and degrees and are highly skilled professionals, no question. Most doctors are very well respected in the community, attend church on a regular basis, and demonstrate impeccable bedside manner when working with patients.

However, there is a question in the back of my mind that my friends and I were discussing last week. Can you take the "man" out of a male doctor when he is working with an attractive female patient? I don't necessarily mean an OB/GYN, but any doctor from internal medicine to a general practioner. Do men doctors notice attractive female patients? Men are the more stimulated by the visual than are females, hence the reason why I am asking this question about the male gender.

What is a male doctor thinking as he sees the shape and body of a fairly attractive female whether he is taking her blood pressure, taking her pulse, or giving her a breast exam? I have always heard that a doctor should not look at the patient or the breast while giving her an exam. Is this true? This question also popped up in the conversation with my lunch friends last week.

I'd like to hear from both doctors and patients.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 06:51 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,352,784 times
My answer to this is that they can.

Do drs have VIPs? Best believe a lot of them do. One dr in my practice has a host of them, but the other 2 dont seem to, as much.

I dont see the other two seem to act any differently around 'beautiful' women patients. I do, however, see one of them get all excited over male patients that come in and want to talk sports or politics, I have to break them up, the third dr, he treats the patients and gets them in and out.

The first dr, now, I notice him eyeing some of the patients.... perv, but still, he treats them, he seems to segregate his patients into classes. As far as treatment. The VIPs and upper class, they are in the upper class section, working class, they are in middle class, poor patients, are in lower class treatment.

I dont like it, and I am sure it goes on everywhere. the other two do not do this.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:03 PM

7,573 posts, read 10,618,513 times
I've asked a few OB/GYN's this very question, and the answer is yes, you better believe they notice. The key is being professional at the time.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:25 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,069,117 times
My former GP used to flirt with me all the time! He was an attractive guy and I think he liked to chat with interesting women. My friend also went to him and said he did the same thing. His line was "I haven't see you before, have I?" then he would sit down and chat.

It was fun (sometimes) to go to the doctor!

Old 10-14-2007, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
My former GP used to flirt with me all the time! He was an attractive guy and I think he liked to chat with interesting women. My friend also went to him and said he did the same thing. His line was "I haven't see you before, have I?" then he would sit down and chat.

It was fun (sometimes) to go to the doctor!
What if your doctor tells your aunt during her appointment that he thinks that you are very pretty. Is that flirting?

Old 10-14-2007, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie216 View Post
I've asked a few OB/GYN's this very question, and the answer is yes, you better believe they notice. The key is being professional at the time.

Did he say if they notice only the young, slender types or any type they deem attractive? Say the doctor is 40 and the patient 30. Or does he only notice the teens and 20 somethings?

Old 10-14-2007, 08:47 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,107,901 times
I have had a few drs make very inappropriate jokes to cheer me up when giving me not so good news. I even had one female assistant make a comment during a GYN exam of mine about her wishes to get reconstructive surgery while looking at my "assets". Was certainly not appropriate if you ask me, but I can't say I made an issue out of these comments, even if I could have.

Old 10-14-2007, 09:09 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,764,805 times
This all reminds me of 'The Firends' episode...Phoebe was in labor...Rachel met some nice looking Dr. in the hallway...we was a GYN...she was getting real into him...real excited....he then asked her what she did for a living...she told him she was a waitress in a coffee house...she asked him about his job and he said ..."Did you ever have one of those days where if you saw ONE MORE cup of coffee...."

Old 10-14-2007, 09:12 PM

448 posts, read 1,049,831 times
I can't speak for the guys, but I am a nurse and have to say that sure, you notice attractive people just like you would any other time, but I don't think any (normal) medical professional gets any kind of thrill out of the personal stuff we do for people. I have worked in a small town where we all took care of each other. Delivered each others babies, put catheters in each other, bathed someones husband....It is actually some what of an honor...maybe I should say a sign of faith or trust to have a friend/coworker/neighbor allow you to do something like that for them. Maybe it is a nurse thing...we have no shame. only a nurse would tell her husband to drop his pants because she wants a nurse friend to look at the bruised butt. Maybe that didn't answer you question. Now if a patient acts like they are something hot or inappropriately showing more than they should,you can bet that the nurses are rolling there eyes and making fun of them in the break room.

Old 10-15-2007, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmousern View Post
I can't speak for the guys, but I am a nurse and have to say that sure, you notice attractive people just like you would any other time, but I don't think any (normal) medical professional gets any kind of thrill out of the personal stuff we do for people. I have worked in a small town where we all took care of each other. Delivered each others babies, put catheters in each other, bathed someones husband....It is actually some what of an honor...maybe I should say a sign of faith or trust to have a friend/coworker/neighbor allow you to do something like that for them. Maybe it is a nurse thing...we have no shame. only a nurse would tell her husband to drop his pants because she wants a nurse friend to look at the bruised butt. Maybe that didn't answer you question. Now if a patient acts like they are something hot or inappropriately showing more than they should,you can bet that the nurses are rolling there eyes and making fun of them in the break room.

Very well said, and I LOL'd at the though of nurses in the breakroom! I bet you guys do see and hear a lot of stuff!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness