Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 09:29 PM

400 posts, read 1,918,083 times

Advertisements

Oh, no problem nightlysparrow.

I'm listening to music right now trying not to bounce to the beats on my do-nut pillow. Ah, temptation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 09:30 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,789,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Maven View Post
Do you recall if his bruises were black at all right away? Did his doctors do any tests based on the color of his bruises? Sorry to hear that he fell last year. I hope he's doing alright ever since then.

Edit to add: Also, my left "side" has a hard lump now where the bruise is so I look like my left side has an implant compared to the right side. It looks really weird and is as hard as a rock. I hope it doesn't stay that hard (I assume that means its a hematoma and that's why its hard?). Will it, do you think, stay hard and mis-shaped?
not to make light of this but for real----BREATHE. Relax. Meditate. You need to de-stress and you need to stop reading anything online on medical sites
you saw your doctor. Ok? Relax.
Chill out and go enjoy life.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:49 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
Bruises actually go through a fairly typical pattern of color change as the blood under the skin is broken down and removed by the body. It will be red initially, blue or purple for several days, then green (due to a blood pigment called biliverdin), yellow (due to bilirubin), then finally brown. The pigment in the overlying skin can contribute to the color, also. So a deep purple might appear black. How fast the bruise resolves will depend on size and location, and some of the colors may vary.

The type of bruising that would make a doctor concerned is primarily that which happens after little or no trauma and signals a possible problem with abnormal blood clotting. Bad, dark bruises after a fall are to be expected. It may take a while for the hard spot to go away.

Here's hoping you go through the rainbow of resolution quickly and are feeling better soon!

Old 01-28-2013, 09:50 PM

Pippy, trust me, I normally am chill and enjoy life. But this fall knocked the wind out of me, and shook me up a bit. Plus, it reminded me of when my dad fell and they discovered his cancer which I know is not my situation (far from it).

But there's nothing like falling down a flight of stairs and landing on your tailbone and left side to put things into perspective which I seriously need because as much of an extroverted loner that I am - falls like this remind me of this mortal coil that life clings to, and I thought I was on my way to shuffle off of it, as I tumbled down to the last stair.

If I were in my 20s, I wouldn't give this fall another thought. Sometimes being middle age is for the birds. It's like I turned 40 two years ago and Father Time sent me a text that read, "now is all you have. don't waste it."

Yes, I need a stage for my drama. I need a serious, SERIOUS break from grad school. This is my last semester and I'm completely mentally and physically burnt out. A little fall down a staircase has turned into a Shakespearean tragedy because I'm more tightly wound right now than a ball of yarn. And when I read that info on WebMD about black bruises, I freaked out.

Chic - Le Freak (Freak Out) A OLD SCHOOL CLASSIC - YouTube

Old 01-28-2013, 09:52 PM

Thanks for the bruise 101 suzy_q. Here's hoping it doesn't take more than one month for my bruises to all heal and my sanity to be restored.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:17 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,789,986 times
I know all about tail bone injuries. Broke mine-twice.
All I was saying is--Web Md can convince you that an ingrown toe nail could lead to death.

You say you went to your doctor. If he can't reassure you,then you don't trust him so you need to change doctors.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:27 PM

Or I just need to start trusting doctors, including mine.

Sorry to hear that you broke your tailbone...twice. Wow. My pain and situation pales in comparison to yours.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:30 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,476,977 times
OP_, if you were getting lots of bruises for no good reason I would maybe worry about leukemia, but a fall down the stairs is a big deal. That kind of bruising is very understandable.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,023 times
I fell and hit my lower back on an egg crate and my lower back was black and blue. The bruises went away but something serious is wrong with my back now. what could it be?

Old 10-02-2014, 05:05 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Ruptured disc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness