Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 05:20 PM

34 posts, read 154,431 times

Advertisements

Has anyone figured out a way to stop 'white coat syndrome' when going to the doctors?

I am overall very healthy and normally my blood pressure is fine but when I go to doctors for just a routine physical i get a bad case of white coat syndrome and my blood pressure goes sky high.

I wouldn't be so concerned about this but a few months from now I'll be going for a physical for a new job and it will require normal blood pressure readings.

Any help or insight is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 05:44 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Ask the person taking your pressure to remove the white coat!

Seriously, your blood pressure should be taken after you have been sitting quietly for 5 minutes. During that time, a little meditation on something soothing helps: petting your dog, a warm beach with the sound of surf. Bring your music and earphones! Close your eyes and pretend you are in your favorite place.

When the actual reading is taken, sit with your feet flat on the floor. The cuff should be at heart level. Three measurements about 5 minutes apart will usually give a good idea of what is going on.

If there is any question, you can have your pressure monitored over a 24 hour span. You just wear an electronic cuff that takes periodic readings for a day. Your pressure is expected to fluctuate. It will not be the same when you are stuck in traffic and running late as it will be when you are asleep.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:26 AM

523 posts, read 3,804,964 times
white coat hypertension is caused by anxiety - worrying about white coat hypertension will only make the anxiety (and therefore the BP reading) even worse.

only real solution is to use an automatic BP monitor at home - and keep a record of multiple readings when you are calm, and havent been exterting or emotionally stressing yourself.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:39 PM

352 posts, read 416,310 times
RESCUE Remedy® - Official US Site - Nelsons USA

Bach Rescue Remedy will relax you.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:13 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,687,382 times
I have had White Coat Syndrome for as long as I can remember,as posted a daily log of BP readings using a good machine is a good idea.This should be presented to any doctor at each visit.
You and only you know how you feel including any doctor.JMHO

Old 02-10-2013, 09:28 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,953,325 times
I've had this issue for as long as I can remember as well. I have always been upfront regarding it. They've taken my blood pressure more than once through an appointment and it goes down to a normal level by the end.

I do think the advise regarding taking readings at home and presenting them at the appointment is a good one.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:09 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,566 posts, read 81,147,605 times
I had this problem but after doing self-monitoring found that it actually was high and now am on medication. since then it's been normal at home but was still high due to the syndrome. After a few visits I was able to control it by not thinking about it, concentrating on pleasant, relaxing thoughts.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:51 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,348,680 times
I have had this problem. First of all, I noticed a significant difference if I scheduled the appt early in the a.m. than later in the day. Try to get an appt after you first wake up. Worst mistake was when I scheduled one mid-day, I had to leave work to go to one. After an extremeley aggravating morning, my BP was very high of course. Later in the day I took it myself at the drugstore and it was fine... DANG JOB!
Mine is many times borderline, I explain to the doc what the deal is... and he tells me to go to the drugstore the next day or somewhere and take it myself. And call him with the results the next day. It is always within normal again.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:59 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,374,430 times
I also have this. I do regularly monitor my BP at home , usually in the evening when I am on the couch watching TV and it tends to average around 125/78. Not great but certainly not high either. So I go to the doctor for a check up the other day and as usual, it was high at 150/80. It is never that high at home.
The thing I don't like at the doctor's office is the nurse doesn't even give me a chance to hardly sit down before she is slapping the cuff on me and taking my blood pressure. The doctor does seem convinced it is just white coat syndrome.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:05 PM

7,515 posts, read 13,618,508 times
Default Need "waiting" time

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
I also have this. I do regularly monitor my BP at home , usually in the evening when I am on the couch watching TV and it tends to average around 125/78. Not great but certainly not high either. So I go to the doctor for a check up the other day and as usual, it was high at 150/80. It is never that high at home.
The thing I don't like at the doctor's office is the nurse doesn't even give me a chance to hardly sit down before she is slapping the cuff on me and taking my blood pressure. The doctor does seem convinced it is just white coat syndrome.
I have started getting to office early to avoid this same problem. First I set in the car relaxing from the drive for 5-10 minutes before going in office, then I hope that by being early I get to relax and wait another 5-10 minutes in waiting room. Seems to work for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness