Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 10:48 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times

Advertisements

My wife is due one and she does the fast then two doco lax. I think the prep drinking that battery acid is the worse part as she does.Her's is regual;r five years checkup ;no problems found even before this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 08:28 AM

6,489 posts, read 8,812,030 times
It's over, thank God. That stuff is extremely vile and I think the Crystal Light made it taste worse. They found two polyps for which I will learn the results on Wednesday. They also found an ulcer and diverticulosis. I guess the ulcer is what was causing my stomach pain.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:41 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Maggie, that's what they found on my first one. Two weeks of antibiotics cured the ulcer. My polyps were precancerous soo now I get one every 4 yrs. Thank God for screening!

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:06 PM

1,320 posts, read 3,701,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
It's over, thank God. That stuff is extremely vile and I think the Crystal Light made it taste worse. They found two polyps for which I will learn the results on Wednesday. They also found an ulcer and diverticulosis. I guess the ulcer is what was causing my stomach pain.
Finding polyps is not unusual at all. I had one which they removed, and get the results this week. It will determine how long I get to wait for the next colonoscopy. I mixed my laxative with gadorade, a light yellow color. It tasted ok ice cold. Had to drink 64 oz, and had it down in an hour or so. It wasn't too bad. Glad you got this done too!

Old 03-10-2013, 12:24 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,374,430 times
Had mine 2 weeks ago. The doctor had me start on a low fiber diet 5 days prior, no whole wheat, no nuts, no fresh fruit or vegetables. The day prior I could not eat anything, just drink apple juice or gatorade, then in the evening prior had to drink that laxative, golytely.
The not eating for a day and half gave me a headache and of course the laxative is pretty awful.
Glad they found nothing and I don't need to do it again for 10 years.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:11 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
I thought I'd share my experience in Maggie's old thread instead of starting a new one.

The prep is awful. To be clear, the worst part is drinking that crap. Sitting on the toilet is a walk in the park by comparison. My prep was Moviprep. Clear liquid diet the day before. First Moviprep at 5pm. Second Moviprep at 6am. The clear liquid diet was a breeze. I just fasted and drank what I'd normally drink. I didn't miss the food.

I started the prep at 5pm. I was supposed to drink 8oz every 15 minutes. It should have taken me an hour, but it took two hours because I couldn't get the stuff down. It's just so thick and gross and disgusting. Then my stomach blew out like I was 9 months pregnant. I'm not exaggerating. At least is was "productive." By 10pm, I went to bed hoping my stomach would calm down. It was still gassy and painful.

The next morning, I woke up and started my second Moviprep. I couldn't do it. It took me a half hour to get the first 8oz down. The second 8oz was even worse. I started to gag. I almost threw up. I abandoned the prep and drank plain water to compensate for the difference. I figured filling myself with fluids to rush to my bowl was the best alternative. Incredibly, it worked. And it wasn't as painful. My stomach didn't swell up.

Just an FYI for anyone who is wondering, the prep was successful if everything coming out is clear or looks like murky urine. I forced myself to drink that the best I could. I kept reminding myself how important it was---my sister was recently diagnosed with breast cancer. This is the one screening that they can actually do something about what they find. It would be insane to not have a colonoscopy.

They're not joking about the colonoscopy being the easy part. That was a breeze. I slept like a baby. I have no memory of it whatsoever.

Two polyps removed. One was big. I'm waiting for results. He said the results would determine if am to come back in 5 years or 10 years.

I learned via the internet that there is a pill prep that requires drinking tons of water. For my next colonoscopy, I'm going to insist I'm giving that prep. I'm never drinking that horrible stuff again. I'll have a light soft diet for a week and fast for two or three days prior if that's what I need to do to get the pill.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:14 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,354,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I thought I'd share my experience in Maggie's old thread instead of starting a new one.

The prep is awful. To be clear, the worst part is drinking that crap. Sitting on the toilet is a walk in the park by comparison. My prep was Moviprep. Clear liquid diet the day before. First Moviprep at 5pm. Second Moviprep at 6am. The clear liquid diet was a breeze. I just fasted and drank what I'd normally drink. I didn't miss the food.

I started the prep at 5pm. I was supposed to drink 8oz every 15 minutes. It should have taken me an hour, but it took two hours because I couldn't get the stuff down. It's just so thick and gross and disgusting. Then my stomach blew out like I was 9 months pregnant. I'm not exaggerating. At least is was "productive." By 10pm, I went to bed hoping my stomach would calm down. It was still gassy and painful.

The next morning, I woke up and started my second Moviprep. I couldn't do it. It took me a half hour to get the first 8oz down. The second 8oz was even worse. I started to gag. I almost threw up. I abandoned the prep and drank plain water to compensate for the difference. I figured filling myself with fluids to rush to my bowl was the best alternative. Incredibly, it worked. And it wasn't as painful. My stomach didn't swell up.

Just an FYI for anyone who is wondering, the prep was successful if everything coming out is clear or looks like murky urine. I forced myself to drink that the best I could. I kept reminding myself how important it was---my sister was recently diagnosed with breast cancer. This is the one screening that they can actually do something about what they find. It would be insane to not have a colonoscopy.

They're not joking about the colonoscopy being the easy part. That was a breeze. I slept like a baby. I have no memory of it whatsoever.

Two polyps removed. One was big. I'm waiting for results. He said the results would determine if am to come back in 5 years or 10 years.

I learned via the internet that there is a pill prep that requires drinking tons of water. For my next colonoscopy, I'm going to insist I'm giving that prep. I'm never drinking that horrible stuff again. I'll have a light soft diet for a week and fast for two or three days prior if that's what I need to do to get the pill.
Two years ago I had a colonoscopy due to severe iron deficiency anemia and my father also had colon ca. I ended up with two pre-cancerous polyps and I have to go back in two years, which will be in June.

Wonder why mine is two years? Could be because of the family history I guess.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:09 AM

7,515 posts, read 13,618,508 times
Re prep, next time see about the combination of Gatorade liquid & Miralax powder. I've done this last 2 times ( First was Gatorade with that liquid Fleet stuff they've stopped using. OK with 2 different docs. All you taste is the Gatorade. I prefer the lemon-lime flavor.)

Oh, 2 polyps first time age 60, none 3 years later @ 63, none 5 years later @ 68, next sked 5 years

Old 03-12-2014, 11:57 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,789,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Two years ago I had a colonoscopy due to severe iron deficiency anemia and my father also had colon ca. I ended up with two pre-cancerous polyps and I have to go back in two years, which will be in June.

Wonder why mine is two years? Could be because of the family history I guess.

Pik, my return/repeat is 2 years also. I see that others got the 3-5 year recheck. I too wondered why mine was 2 years

Old 03-13-2014, 07:33 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
My girlfriend has been going every year since she was 20.

I'd be happy if it was 2 years and not 5. The more often, the better IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness