Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 10:11 AM

1,182 posts, read 1,429,753 times

Advertisements

My dermatologist gave me a topical ointment to put on it (Elocon - mometasone furoate). It's meant for poison ivy but it works wonders. Zinc oxide also works (diaper rash cream or Gold Bond). And sunshine is also a remedy but no more than 5 minutes a day to lower the odds of skin cancer. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 10:22 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,682,743 times
I would highly recommend Resinol Medicated Ointment. In my family we always refer to it as the magic ointment. It pretty much clears up any type of skin rash in my experience. Good luck!

Old 08-07-2008, 07:25 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,006,893 times
Pro Biotics. My children have terrible excema and were put on Probiotics and it has helped tremendously.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:49 PM

365 posts, read 1,253,061 times
Evening primrose oil capsules (swallow them, not rubbing on the oil, I mean) are supposed to work.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:33 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,168,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
what has worked the best. Precription and non-precribed?

My case is pretty mild.
You need to join the forum at National Psoriasis Foundation

If you sincerely want help, it's the only place. Trust me. This is a disease few people understand, they think it's exzema, dry skin, whatever. If it's truly psoriasis, it's an auto-immune condition and is never fixed by topical ointments.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:52 AM

1,182 posts, read 1,429,753 times
I also found that shampoos & soaps made with pine tar are helpful. I know it'll be with me until my last breath but I'll try anything that helps me deal with the itching & scaling. Right now I'm dealing with an outbreak & I know it's stress-related ("what stress?!").

Old 08-08-2008, 04:12 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,483,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
what has worked the best. Precription and non-precribed?

My case is pretty mild.
Vick's Vapor Rub helps with the itching.

Vaseline and more vaseline--I have it on my feet so they say wear cotton socks, keep it clean and apply vaseline. When it itches, as it is doing today--I use everything I can find. Antibiotic cream, anti itch cream and the $50 RX that the dermatologist gave me the last time.

The Rx's that seem to work on others that are popular at the current time didn't do much for me. The thing that works best is reduction of stress and I drink a lot of water. I have been eating spicy food and I need to stop that--the Psoriasis loves to flare up when I eat things that I like--chocolate, too many sweets/breads--yeasty things. I have also been told that I am yeast infection prone--now have Diabetes Type 2 but had skin problems and fungal infections long before I developed Diabetes. Thanks--to the ancestors that contributed those genes. I can't remember any of my relatives discussing skin problems--they must have had less stress in their lives or maybe the skin disorders become more virulent with each generation? At any rate I check off 5-8 skin problems when surveyed. Delicat flower that I am. I have fair skin--auburn hair--not a white skinned redhead but close enough I suppose.

It is good that I love 'The Night'--have no desire to sit out in the sun. I am expecting skin cancer anyway. Fingers crossed the 70SPF sunscreen will give me a little more time.

TakeAhike

Old 08-09-2008, 08:58 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times
Internal:
-Try a detox diet
- keep a food journal (food can trigger it)
- stop smoking

External:
- food grade extra virgin coconut oil
- neem soap
- rotate out products that are high in perfumes etc.
- dead sea salt soaks
- natural sunshine
- one of those "earth friendly" type organic laundry detergents
- stop using dryer sheets
- do not take really hot showers or baths

and umm..thats all I cant think of for now.
Do not do the detox diet if you have used steriods within the past 6 months.

Scripts - seems the body gets used to those..whatever it is after awhile.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:40 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,483,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Internal:
-Try a detox diet
- keep a food journal (food can trigger it)
- stop smoking

External:
- food grade extra virgin coconut oil
- neem soap
- rotate out products that are high in perfumes etc.
- dead sea salt soaks
- natural sunshine
- one of those "earth friendly" type organic laundry detergents
- stop using dryer sheets
- do not take really hot showers or baths

and umm..thats all I cant think of for now.
Do not do the detox diet if you have used steriods within the past 6 months.

Scripts - seems the body gets used to those..whatever it is after awhile.
Good suggestions, pitt_transplant.

Another thing that helps my skin problems is using epsom salts and baby oil in the bath water. Which one helps more, I cannot say but I told the dermatologist that I did this and she seemed to think it was a good idea.

The name of my 'expensive' Rx is 'Triamcnolone Acetonid', it is a cream and comes in a big plastic jar. It helps when the psoriasis flares up.

I know for a fact that quitting smoking really does reduce the flare ups. I quit for 5 months and the psoriasis was almost gone. Started again and started eating randomly and drinking more soft drinks--even the zero sugar types and 'Voila'--the itching and raw spots are back. 'Stress' --you betcha that is a major factor in skin problems. My brother died recently and I have a lot of 'emotions' and my Mother has apparently gone out of her mind. So I need to embark on an aggressive stress management campaign. I thought I would never have smooth skin on my feet again--much less be able to go without the cotton socks--I must have over 100 pairs of them. The skin dries out so badly that I put vaseline, expensive Rx and whatever on them and put the socks on--never take them off. There have been times when my feet were so cracked and bleeding that I really couldn't walk well.

I know when this 'Crap' started. Back around 1982 I met a 'Man' at a Christmas Eve party. Jumped right into a 'Relationship'--I was 30ish and living with a roommate that was younger and 'Love' was always a priority.

This male person turned out to have 2 names--apparently avoiding child support payments in Cleveland, OH. I dropped by his place of business one day and asked for him by the name he gave me--no, they said--we don't have anyone by that name. Then someone recognized me from a picture the toad had brought to work. Oh, that's 'Mr X'.

I confronted him. He hit me. I told him never to contact me again. He came to my apartment around 11 one night. I was upstairs and thought I heard something. The next thing I knew he was standing in my bedroom. Somehow I got past him and down the stairs out to my car. I told him I was going to a pay phone to call 911. I did. When I got back he was driving away and said, 'What has made you so mean?'

I went on a Spring Break/teacher trip and my neighbors said a man had been looking at the phone wires leading to my apartment. So I guess the jerk 'tapped' my phone. I got a new roommate shortly after that--The Love Goddess found a man and got married. The new roommate thought this was pathetic and helped me get on with my life. Ass still called now and then but with B's coaching I kept telling him to "Put it where the sun doesn't shine'.

Right at this time I noticed strange red, scaly patches on my elbows and scalp. Psoriasis. Every time there is severe emotional stress it flares up. It has been worse--in my scalp and wanting to break out on my legs and arms--so I walk and walk and walk and drink a lot of water. Try to eat fruits and vegetables and do things to relax.

I really HATE psoriasis and mine is not as bad as some of the posters' in psoriasis forums. A terrible disease and I hope some cure is found.

TakeAhike

Old 10-14-2008, 01:47 PM

2 posts, read 7,919 times
The official medicines for psoriasis are either steroids or immuno-suppressants; both have side-effects that are worse than disease itself. Explore the natural remedies first (omega-3, sunbathing, vitamin D, etc) before subjecting yourself to humira-dovonex-and the like; for myself, the herbal ointment and spray combo from Champori.com works the best. Takes just a week or so to suppress the blotches and the effect lasts for 6-8 months! Try it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness