Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 01:18 AM

33,532 posts, read 37,132,711 times

Advertisements

Yes, a specific area that millions of wild salmon migrate through, pick up these pathogens, then die before they spawn. Do you not see a problem with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 01:53 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Yes, a specific area that millions of wild salmon migrate through, pick up these pathogens, then die before they spawn. Do you not see a problem with that?
I have a problem with your source, Mercola is huge crock. I have a huge issue with your supposition.

From Toronto Star
Quote:
He said the test result is not entirely unexpected because the virus occurs in natural and wild salmon, and coho are local and wild.
meaning this is nothing new.

and
Quote:
But she said the outbreak is expected to have little impact on the market because the virus does not cause any human-health concerns and demand remains high for B.C. product.
From your CTV article
Quote:
An anti-fish-farming activist is raising the alarm over lab results suggesting that a highly contagious virus is showing up in salmon farmed in B.C.
No agenda there.

Furthermore,
Quote:
but it's not clear whether the disease affects wild salmon.
No evidence.

So repeating yourself over and over doesn't validate your point. The last article is an OP-ED. In all your articles do I see where human health being impacted. Potential impact to wild salmon is debatable, maybe.

The last one talks about economic and enviromental impacts. Not really applicable to your original point.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:53 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
Salmon farming is permitted on the west coast, there is one owned by Great American Seafood at the foot of Fort Ward Hill Road on Bainbridge Island.

I avoid farmed salmon because their food includes a dye to make their flesh pink. Wild salmon is pink because they are carnivores.

Farmed fish are more susceptible to viruses because there are so many living in a confined space. One gets a virus, the others catch it. Wild salmon do not school in the ocean.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:02 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
Yes, wild salmon would be my preference. Same with trout, Walleye. Cat fish either way. My shellfish I want to be american grown and not imported.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:04 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,600,426 times
I eat it all the time. I'd be worried about it killing me, but I'm pretty sure the 999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999 other things that I eat/are in my environment that some website/activist group says is going to kill me will kill me first.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:11 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
I eat it all the time. I'd be worried about it killing me, but I'm pretty sure the 999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999 other things that I eat/are in my environment that some website/activist group says is going to kill me will kill me first.
I am guessing most of us eat things daily that could either kill us or certainly cause diseases and ailments we would rather not think about. But, like you, I see warnings about so many things in our environment daily that is damaging, I just do my best to keep things in moderation. A farm raised piece of Salmon every 3 or 4 weeks isn't apt to kill any of us..

Old 04-14-2013, 11:37 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,033 times
If I am out at restaurant and order salmon I don't ask if it is farm raised or wild and I think restaurants usually carry farm raised. At home I try to eat the wild. I am more concerned with mercury poisoning and why I rarely eating can tuna. I think in moderation unless pregnant it is ok but everyone is different and I already have health probblems so why I tend to air in caution.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:55 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,228,243 times
I was never much of a fish lover to begin with but used to think I should eat more of it because it's supposedly 'healthy'. Well, lately, between the mercury, the toxins in farmed fish and seafood, etc etc, there seems to be more problems associated with fish than benefits. Even wild fish from the Pacific has been potentially thought to carry a risk now after the Fukushima disaster. So we really don't eat it much at all anymore, unless it's in a reputable restaurant, or very occasionally I'll pick up a wild salmon or swordfish fillet, but for the most part I feel it's not worth the money and even the very small risk since I don't even like it all that much. I do love shrimp and scallops, but again buy farmed/imported very rarely because of the health issues, and the wild ones are very expensive. I do however love and often buy lox smoked salmon, and try to get wild Atlantic.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:20 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
I was never much of a fish lover to begin with but used to think I should eat more of it because it's supposedly 'healthy'. Well, lately, between the mercury, the toxins in farmed fish and seafood, etc etc, there seems to be more problems associated with fish than benefits. Even wild fish from the Pacific has been potentially thought to carry a risk now after the Fukushima disaster. So we really don't eat it much at all anymore, unless it's in a reputable restaurant, or very occasionally I'll pick up a wild salmon or swordfish fillet, but for the most part I feel it's not worth the money and even the very small risk since I don't even like it all that much. I do love shrimp and scallops, but again buy farmed/imported very rarely because of the health issues, and the wild ones are very expensive. I do however love and often buy lox smoked salmon, and try to get wild Atlantic.
If it is something you really don't care for, that is a different story and I would agree, don't bother, but you made the comment about "even a little risk" everything we do every day carries some risk. As for the mercury, many think this is a new issue, heck, they have been talking about too much mercury since the 1980s if not before. So, it isn't news and really hasn't stopped most of us from indulging..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness