Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 03:17 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,227,961 times

Advertisements

I don't believe that any given food group is necessarily bad for you - be it meat, dairy, grains, unless you have a sensitivity to something like gluten. I do think there's merit to the claim that some people benefit from a gluten-free or dairy-free diet even though they've never been officially diagnosed with an allergy or something, I myself have many random symptoms that affect my life and doctors can't find anything wrong and I have a suspicion that cutting out gluten may help, but at this point I just don't have the willpower to try it as I love bread and baked goods way too much.

Moderator cut: wrong forum for politics/controversy I absolutely believe that things like artificial coloring and flavorings, artificial sweeteners, preservatives, and other disgusting chemical crap they put in packaged food is terrible for you. It's something no one needs to be eating, and most of all, it's unnecessary! Real food looks and tastes so much better without all that crap; it's only used to mask stuff that's not even food in the first place and to make it more palatable. I eat everything in moderation - only whole-milk dairy, full-fat greek yogurt (don't even get me started on that generic low-fat starch-and-sugar packed crap they try to pass off as 'yogurt'), fresh bread, good cheese, cultured butter, freshly baked pastries, high quality chocolate. But diet pop, chips, twinkies, neon-colored candy, kraft dinner, cool whip, and all the other myriad of crap that gets passed off as food? Yech, never. I also try to go organic especially with meat and dairy whenever possible, because that's yet whole another ball game - pesticides, antibiotics, steroids, pink slime, mercury, heavy metals in farmed seafood, etc etc. Scary stuff.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 09-07-2013 at 11:49 AM..

Old 08-21-2013, 05:45 PM

9 posts, read 16,389 times
Default Clean Eating Link Bait

nut shell: that article was total link bait man lol.......talk about misconstruing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Triny33 View Post
Interesting read I came across this morning, thought I'd share with the board.

Why ?Clean Eating? is a Myth

Old 08-21-2013, 06:14 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
ive seen too many healthy eaters come down with diseases, the older i get,

ive been on big-time health kicks with exercising,,,

i think exercising is the key, we(many) have a very sedentary life-style , in this technology era....many folks sit on there butts at work, and go home and sit on there butts..

my dr. tells me he would pay for my health/blood stats, he asked my diet on my last physical,
i asked him,,,based on my stats,,as a dr. you guess my diet,,,he said a diet rich in veggies, low on meat, little sweets,

i said,,,no,,,i eat alot of meat, even red meat, i love ice cream, and dont eat many vegetables....but i do work out alot

he said-whatever you are doing,,keep doing it.. you must have good genes..

Old 08-21-2013, 07:36 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,355,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Triny33 View Post
Interesting read I came across this morning, thought I'd share with the board.

Why ?Clean Eating? is a Myth

I have heard this term and was always unsure of what it meant. We humans are omnivores, much like squirrels. Kenyan marathon runners are the greatest endurance athletes known to man, and much of their diet is tea laced with sugar, when they can get it.

Endurance athletes and the food that fuels them -IronStruck.com

Food can make a difference, but work is the key.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:32 AM

2,702 posts, read 6,028,415 times
I really liked this article.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:58 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,354,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
You can take your chances with red meat, however I prefer to err on the side of caution.

Red meat has also been linked to type 2 diabetes according to a Harvard University study:

Bad news on red meat: Eating more is linked to diabetes risk - Los Angeles Times

Actor Michael Clarke Duncan died of a heart attack at age 54.

Duncan switched to vegan 3 years before his death, and he needed to clear out his refrigerator of $5,000 worth of red meat:

Oscar-nominated actor Michael Clarke Duncan dies at 54 | Fox News

Most of these studies (or reports on these studies) do not mention other factors that might contribute to increases in diabetes and heart disease and how other bad habits might work in conjunction with that. How do I know, in the very first link you provided, what kind of diet or lifestyle choices these people who ate red meat regularly had? Are people who consume red meat regularly more likely to drink soda, smoke, not exercise, eat no fruits or vegetables, visit the doctor less, etc?

Here is a conclusion from a review in 2010, Red meat consumption: An overview of the risks and benefits:

Quote:
In the present review, studies investigating associations between red meat consumption and outcomes of health and disease were reviewed. Within studies which implicate red meat in the development of CVD and colon cancer, a number of methodological limitations were found; they do not assess the degree of fat-trimming or method of cooking used and their method of assessing meat intake is potentially prone to error or bias. Moderator cut: copyright violation.
Don't worry, you'll see an article next week about the positives.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 09-07-2013 at 11:48 AM..

Old 08-22-2013, 11:23 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,983,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Most of these studies (or reports on these studies) do not mention other factors that might contribute to increases in diabetes and heart disease and how other bad habits might work in conjunction with that. How do I know, in the very first link you provided, what kind of diet or lifestyle choices these people who ate red meat regularly had? Are people who consume red meat regularly more likely to drink soda, smoke, not exercise, eat no fruits or vegetables, visit the doctor less, etc?

Here is a conclusion from a review in 2010, Red meat consumption: An overview of the risks and benefits:

Don't worry, you'll see an article next week about the positives.
In my opinion, the logic used is really simple to understand.

Assume that you study very large group of people over a long period of time. You don't ask anything else about them except how much red meat they consume.

The results of your study are:

The group consuming the most red meat has the highest levels of cancer and heart disease.

The group consuming the least red meat has the lowest levels of cancer and heart disease.

Your conclusion. Red meat is the most likely cause.

Other potential factors are not important in this test, because there will be many variables, and those variables are likely equally distributed amongst the entire study group. Some will eat more vegetables, some less vegetables, some will drink soda, some wont, some will get a lot of exercise, some wont, some will smoke, some wont, some will be genetically prone to disease, some wont. So even with all the other possible causes of disease, you can isolate the one cause, and draw your conclusion based on it alone, as long as you use a large enough sample of people.

Spend a little time thinking about the above logic, before you respond.

Last edited by RD5050; 08-22-2013 at 11:42 AM..

Old 08-22-2013, 11:44 AM

1,003 posts, read 1,611,534 times
Interesting article, thank you for sharing. Being a vegetarian made me gain weight. Raw vegans age horribly. I'm back to eating what I once considered bad foods (small amount of cheese on my REAL eggs for breakfast), lots of water, vigorous exercise, animal meat, soups and salads - I feel pretty fantastic! I do believe it's all about moderation.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:43 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
In my opinion, the logic used is really simple to understand.

Assume that you study very large group of people over a long period of time. You don't ask anything else about them except how much red meat they consume.

The results of your study are:

The group consuming the most red meat has the highest levels of cancer and heart disease.

The group consuming the least red meat has the lowest levels of cancer and heart disease.

Your conclusion. Red meat is the most likely cause.

Other potential factors are not important in this test, because there will be many variables, and those variables are likely equally distributed amongst the entire study group. Some will eat more vegetables, some less vegetables, some will drink soda, some wont, some will get a lot of exercise, some wont, some will smoke, some wont, some will be genetically prone to disease, some wont. So even with all the other possible causes of disease, you can isolate the one cause, and draw your conclusion based on it alone, as long as you use a large enough sample of people.

Spend a little time thinking about the above logic, before you respond.
Congratulations. You just proved why research methodology is a huge part of any scientific field.

Your scenario shows correlation, a simple statistical link. That's when you form your hypothesis, and conduct further testing to show causation. As it stands now, there has been no real causation shown between red meat consumption and cancer/heart disease.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:32 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,170,124 times
There is no real causation shown between smoking and cancer.

Simply because you can't ethically do that study. You can't say, I think this behavior will lead to cancer, let's find out. There are mountains of correlation between smoking and a number of things, but there is no study that proves it causes cancer, because you can't perform an experiment where you're trying to essentially get people to get cancer to prove your hypothesis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness