Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 08:02 PM

39,209 posts, read 27,575,665 times

Advertisements

My mom and I both suffered from Migraine headache due to hormonal changes. I get it exactly 1 day before my period is due.

The pain is so bad sometimes, I am super sensitive to lights, loud noises, and I want to vomit all the time.
The doctors told me just to take over the counter pain killers.

I am wondering if there are any home remedies for this kind of pain? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 09:30 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Sounds like you have menstrual migraine

Hormonal and Menstrual Migraines/Headaches: Causes and Treatment

"What Are the Treatment Options for Menstrual Migraines?

The medications of choice to stop a menstrual migraine are nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications (NSAIDs).

The NSAIDs most often used for menstrual migraines include:

Orudis
Advil and Motrin
Nalfon
Naprosyn
Relafen
NSAID treatment should be started two to three days before the menstrual period starts and continued until the period ends. Because the therapy is of short duration, the risk of gastrointestinal side effects is limited.

For people who have severe menstrual migraines or who want to continue taking their birth control pills, doctors recommend taking a NSAID, starting on the l9th day of the cycle and continuing through the second day of the next cycle."

If the NSAID does not work, see your doctor about prescription options. Note that the key is to start the medication before you get the headache.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:38 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Feverfew is an herbal remedy that works. Available in most health sections at groceries. Four double-blind placebo-controlled studies in The Lancet ahowed it reduced both frequency and severity of migraines.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:35 PM
ino

680 posts, read 2,498,770 times
Suck on a Rennies or Quikeze indigestion tablet at the first indication of migraine and see how that goes.

No studies, no links, non prescription, and no information other than I know it works, but I can't say it works for everyone because I don't know everyone on the planet <g>.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:46 PM

Thank you all for your posts!

Old 08-29-2013, 10:36 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
I've tried feverfew before and it didn't help me. The only thing that got rid of my migraines, even the one I would get on the 3rd day of my period every month, was keeping a food journal and figuring out what my migraine triggers are. I think sometimes menstrual migraine is worse if you're one of the people who retains water before the period...it's natural to want to drink less water when you feel bloated, but dehydration can trigger the migraine too.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I've tried feverfew before and it didn't help me. The only thing that got rid of my migraines, even the one I would get on the 3rd day of my period every month, was keeping a food journal and figuring out what my migraine triggers are. I think sometimes menstrual migraine is worse if you're one of the people who retains water before the period...it's natural to want to drink less water when you feel bloated, but dehydration can trigger the migraine too.
Yeah. To me, chocolate and coffee make everything worse. I will try to keep a food journal too!

Thanks!

Old 08-31-2017, 07:23 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,633,514 times
I know this is an old thread, but still relevant. The only thing that seems to dull my menstrual migraine is Excedrin. Tylenol, Advil, and Aleve do nothing to alleviate the pain.

Old 08-31-2017, 08:04 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,469,274 times
What sometimes worked for me was chile peppers in food. It was an accidental find. Other than that, I suffered and the only way to deal with it was by seeking oblivion in sleep in a pitch black room with a bucket by the bedside. I no longer have migraines post menopause. Here's an article about 'capsaicin' which is the active ingredient in chile (btw they have misspelled chile in the article IMHO), although migraines are not mentioned.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...in-relief.aspx

Old 08-31-2017, 08:13 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Are you on, or have you tried oral BC to try to even things out? Do you have any other hormonal issues like PCOS that if treated might positively impact your migraines?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness