Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 11:12 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,968,335 times

Advertisements

This is something that happened a long time ago, and I'm just curious.

I and several people I know have had gall bladder removals.
I thought it was customary to put a drain in after such operations.

One person said that they did not put a drain in her because they said she was dry and it wasn't needed.
Later, she entered the hospital in a great deal of pain with a bloated abdomen. They could not, for a long time, find out what was wrong with her. They finally put a drain in and all that liquid left. She was in the hospital for a month. They did not charge her. She ended up being fine.

Are drains not just automatically inserted? Don't all bodies react with an increase in fluids?
How could they screw something like that up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 04:12 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,224,290 times
Drains are not routinely used in laparoscopic cholecystectomies which are how the majority are done...

Even if this "long time ago" procedure was done as an open cholecystectomy, drains are not routinely used..

Old 09-14-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Drains are not routinely used in laparoscopic cholecystectomies which are how the majority are done...

Even if this "long time ago" procedure was done as an open cholecystectomy, drains are not routinely used..
Ok, this is interesting. In the open choleystectomy how do they know when to put a drain in? Does the body start to create fluids during the operation?

Thanks for responding.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:53 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,475,810 times
I never had a drain with my gallbladder surgery. I had a hysterectomy done by robotic surgery and they put a drain in that time. 8 days after my hysterectomy sugery my intestines twisted because of the other surgery and I had to have emergency surgery and once again they did not put in a drain.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:42 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,814,714 times
On a different operation, a partial kidney removal, I had a drain. When the doc tried to remove it before I went home, it tore off at the skin; turns out he had stitched it to me inside somewhere. I was screaming in pain by then. SO the next day I had to go back to the OR for conscious sedation and he cut it out. Then I had a nice hole! My insurance paid for a nurse to come daily once I went home, to change the packing where the drain had been.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:49 PM

3,262 posts, read 4,999,257 times
When my husband had his gall bladder removed laparoscopically, he had a drain installed (is that the right word?). When I had my gall bladder removed laparoscopically, there was no drain.

I'm not sure why he had a drain and I didn't -- not that I am complaining LOL. But his gall bladder was badly infected, whereas mine was just nonfunctioning, so that may have had something to do with it. And we did have different surgeons.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:49 AM

1,846 posts, read 4,741,362 times
When I had a cyst removed, they put in a drain.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:49 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,038,253 times
Drains are routinely used in facelifts and breast surgeries, too.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
When my husband had his gall bladder removed laparoscopically, he had a drain installed (is that the right word?). When I had my gall bladder removed laparoscopically, there was no drain.

I'm not sure why he had a drain and I didn't -- not that I am complaining LOL. But his gall bladder was badly infected, whereas mine was just nonfunctioning, so that may have had something to do with it. And we did have different surgeons.
Yup. I'm wondering when and why they use them. It would seem as though some bodies respond to the operation differently than others and that response triggers the need for a drain.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:45 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,224,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Yup. I'm wondering when and why they use them. It would seem as though some bodies respond to the operation differently than others and that response triggers the need for a drain.
That doesn't necessarily apply to cholecystectomies.

Use of drains for this procedure is going to be primarily surgeon preference. If drains were routinely used where they trained then they may prefer to use them. For the most part there is no need for drains for a laparoscopic procedure, even if done open it is debatable.

"The routine use of a drain in elective laparoscopic cholecystectomy has nothing to offer; in contrast, it is associated with increased pain."
Elsevier
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness