Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 02:45 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,797,058 times

Advertisements

Now that I am in my early 60s I have to pee about every forty five minutes during the day and wake up 3 times during the night to go. I have been to many doctors and they tell me it is just a part of aging and I don't have any prostate problems. I have spent a fortune on a number of tests and they say I am fine.

I have been given many different prescriptions for my problem but nothing has worked.

Are you a man and 60 years old plus with the same problem. Has anything worked to help you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 04:16 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,883,025 times
My dad has the same problem and is around your age. He's only allowed to have 2 liters of water a day and that has not decreased the problem at all.

I've been researching things that might help him, because both of my parents would be better off if he could sleep through the night without getting up several times to pee. I've read that saw palmetto and prostate massage (you can buy a medical device to do the massage by yourself) are supposed to help if the frequent urination are caused by an enlarged prostate. Other than that, kegel exercises are supposed to help http://www.med.umich.edu/bowelcontro...ale_kegels.pdf (women have been told for years about doing them and they definitely help with female issues, but I never heard of male kegels until I started looking all this up for my dad).

Old 01-08-2014, 09:41 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Now that I am in my early 60s I have to pee about every forty five minutes during the day and wake up 3 times during the night to go. I have been to many doctors and they tell me it is just a part of aging and I don't have any prostate problems. I have spent a fortune on a number of tests and they say I am fine.

I have been given many different prescriptions for my problem but nothing has worked.

Are you a man and 60 years old plus with the same problem. Has anything worked to help you?
Sure sounds like enlarged prostrate problems common has man ages. Hopefuly you saw a Urologist who checked for kidney/bladder stones also which can be caused by bladder not emptying totally because of enlarged prostrate which has to do with getting older.Flowmax or procedure called prostrate resection that is day surgery and non-envasive thru penis. At same time they can go look for problems urinal tract.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:46 PM

44,633 posts, read 61,638,098 times
Caffeine and alcohol contribute to a lot of extra urinating trips at an older age, along with an enlarged prostrate.
See a urologist for testing.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:15 AM

37,111 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:

How full is your bladder when you empty it?

If you pass only a small amount of urine, with a normal prostate and assuming infection has been ruled out, you may have an overactive bladder. If it is a large amount, your bladder is functioning normally; it is full and needs to be emptied.

See here about overactive bladder:

Overactive Bladder - Columbia Urology

Old 01-09-2014, 05:36 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,797,058 times
I have been to many doctors, had many tests, and have been prescribed a number of pills, so far none of them have worked.

The purpose of my post is to see if anyone with my problem has been successful in stopping frequent bathroom trips through prescription drugs.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:23 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,254,704 times
Urologist prescribed tamsulosin which relaxes the muscles that control the bladder and prostate (even though my prostate is normal, actually it's described as small). Anyway, that was three weeks ago but it has not helped the nocturia. However, the manufacturer advises that the drug may take four weeks to work.

Incidentally, nocturia per se doesn't bother me. Have had it for 10 yrs., now age 70. One night a few yrs. back I had 10 wake-ups and produces a full gallon. I'm more concerned with the low blood sodium (hyponatremia) which has developed the past two years. Apparently I'm now pi$$ing away my sodium.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:04 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,935,593 times
Quote:
I have been to many doctors, had many tests, and have been prescribed a number of pills, so far none of them have worked.

The purpose of my post is to see if anyone with my problem has been successful in stopping frequent bathroom trips through prescription drugs.
Maybe its me, but I take that as a sign that, for you at least, Big Pharma is not the way out of your issues. The poster that advised prostate massage and/or Kegel exercises is IMO someone you should listen to. Your prostate is not enlarged... maybe not, but, 'not enlarged' relative to what? Pills always have side effects. Some of them fatal in the longer term. Perhaps at 60, a person might be less inclined to ponder "long term implications" but, I submit that the example set by the you, in seeking a non-prescription remedy might be instructive to younger family members. The fact that the alternative medicine might actually work is a bonus.

H

Old 01-09-2014, 09:03 AM

44,633 posts, read 61,638,098 times
Tried rx Tamulosin for 2 years, made no difference, actually trips were less when I stopped taking them.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:43 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,134,750 times
Certainly could be prostate and yes there are pills that help but also could be Diabetes and if you have not already you should check that out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness