Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2014, 11:18 AM

37,118 posts, read 41,299,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Maybe its me, but I take that as a sign that, for you at least, Big Pharma is not the way out of your issues. The poster that advised prostate massage and/or Kegel exercises is IMO someone you should listen to. Your prostate is not enlarged... maybe not, but, 'not enlarged' relative to what? Pills always have side effects. Some of them fatal in the longer term. Perhaps at 60, a person might be less inclined to ponder "long term implications" but, I submit that the example set by the you, in seeking a non-prescription remedy might be instructive to younger family members. The fact that the alternative medicine might actually work is a bonus.

H
Medications do not always have side effects. Those used for overactive bladder are very safe, with dry mouth the most common side effect.

If you read my previous link, you will discover that urologists do prescribe dietary changes and pelvic floor exercises for overactive bladder. The combination of those and medication has been shown to produce the best results.

I can find nothing that indicates prostate massage works.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 11:24 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,563,870 times
everyone, this is overactive bladder, not Prostrate , prostrate has been so hyped up with talk of tests/cancer but if it's not oversized then it's not prostrate. A simple 10 second test by Dr. Friendly Finger will tell.

check for diabetes as well.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:34 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,938,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Medications do not always have side effects. Those used for overactive bladder are very safe, with dry mouth the most common side effect.
Always. And you just made my point about the dry mouth. Safe is quite another thing and I will admit that not all side effects are deadly. My point was that all too often people just want a pill, when some behavior modification or diet changes or exercise can do as well or better. Yes diabetes should be investigated but I have to think that that was already done? I mean the o.p. has been to at least one medical professional. Shame, shame on them if they did not do some testing on a 60 y.o. for elevated blood or urine sugar. I wasn't thinking about the prostate massage so much as the Kegel exercises.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:50 AM

37,118 posts, read 41,299,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Always. And you just made my point about the dry mouth. Safe is quite another thing and I will admit that not all side effects are deadly. My point was that all too often people just want a pill, when some behavior modification or diet changes or exercise can do as well or better. Yes diabetes should be investigated but I have to think that that was already done? I mean the o.p. has been to at least one medical professional. Shame, shame on them if they did not do some testing on a 60 y.o. for elevated blood or urine sugar. I wasn't thinking about the prostate massage so much as the Kegel exercises.
No, not always. The majority of people who take prescription drugs have no side effects from them.

And, yes, for things like dry mouth the person using the drug has to decide whether it is bad enough to stop taking it.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:06 PM

635 posts, read 785,008 times
You should check if you have diabetes.Frequent urination is a classic sign. Look for some sort of a prostate herb that has Saw Pallmetto, maybe some sort of pill with several things. Maybe under mens health.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:53 PM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
Regarding side effects, I discover in my 60s after decades of using decongestants that most of them have the side effect of enlarging the prostate.

So one day my doctor has me bent over and exclaims, "Wow! That's as big as an orange!"
He sends me to a urologist actually named Dr Leake (and he thinks the joke is so clever), whe exclaims, "If your prostate was a buck, you'd mount it."

Old 01-09-2014, 03:49 PM

9,691 posts, read 10,027,043 times
The nutrients which seem to bring a normal flow are supplements of `Saw Palmetto, and Pumpkin seeds `` which you can take daily , then there is Cranberry Supplements which prevent infection and blockages from Bacteria , as one Cranberry supplement can equal One quart of Cranberry juice with no sugar

Old 01-10-2014, 06:03 AM

130 posts, read 224,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Are you a man and 60 years old plus with the same problem. Has anything worked to help you?
\

I'm 67 and had the same issue for years. It was getting progressively worse. The urologist finally did an ultrasound of the bladder after emptying as much as possible. Still retained over 400ml. They did a cystoscope which showed an almost complete blockage. Had a TURP in July and that was the cure. PSA dropped from 5.7 (likely due to irritation from the blockage) to 3.6. retention measured zero, and either one or zero nighttime trips.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:18 AM

107 posts, read 559,125 times
@I'm Retired Now

Without telling is it only more frequent urination or is it also a larger daily volume of urine, this thread will not take you anywhere...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness