Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 02:43 AM

833 posts, read 1,200,285 times

Advertisements

And for the first time in well over 5 years I am a victim I've been volunteering a lot in a nursing home, and I am thinking that's where I got it. I never took a flu vaccine (never have) and figured i'd be just fine, as I RARELY get sick. Even if I do, it's never over 2 days. Recently with a lot of stress, bad eating habits, and not working out my body, probably weakened my immune system. I can feel it fighting though!! (its weird but I really can)

I've had the fever, hot flashes, chills, coughing, runny nose, stuffy nose, headache, and congestion so far. Seems as if it's getting worse every time I wake up. I woke up around 10 pm, and decided to fight as much as I could. I drank about 2 liters of water, tea, and a warm shower. My temperature is down from 102 to 98.2, I feel a bit better at least. The only medicine i've taken has been motrin (headaches have been a nightmare coupled up with my stiff neck).

It started monday morning, with what I thought was acid reflux. It was extremely odd. My stomach would keep bubbling, and I kept burping up acidy fumes?

So what is the point of this thread?

GET YOUR FLU SHOT. THIS IS NOT FUN!!!!!! I feel like I got ran over by a truck

Only good part - I get to be my wife's 'wittle baby'

Old 01-08-2014, 04:10 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,771,381 times
Tell your wife to go out and get you some elderberry syrup. It may help to shorten the length of your illness. Elderberry Fights Flu Symptoms

Hope you feel better soon.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:48 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,173,442 times
Glad you're on the mend!

I had the flu for the first time in my life at 53, two years ago. I was out of it for days, high temp, hurt all over, weak, lost my voice, congested, didn't eat, etc. Came on really fast, too. I woke up and went to work feeling fine, by mid-afternoon I was sweating and chills and kept thinking I was going to faint. No fun at all.

I swore by lemon-flavored Theraflu.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:48 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,924,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrazyattic View Post
And for the first time in well over 5 years I am a victim I've been volunteering a lot in a nursing home, and I am thinking that's where I got it. I never took a flu vaccine (never have) and figured i'd be just fine, as I RARELY get sick. Even if I do, it's never over 2 days. Recently with a lot of stress, bad eating habits, and not working out my body, probably weakened my immune system. I can feel it fighting though!! (its weird but I really can)

I've had the fever, hot flashes, chills, coughing, runny nose, stuffy nose, headache, and congestion so far. Seems as if it's getting worse every time I wake up. I woke up around 10 pm, and decided to fight as much as I could. I drank about 2 liters of water, tea, and a warm shower. My temperature is down from 102 to 98.2, I feel a bit better at least. The only medicine i've taken has been motrin (headaches have been a nightmare coupled up with my stiff neck).

It started monday morning, with what I thought was acid reflux. It was extremely odd. My stomach would keep bubbling, and I kept burping up acidy fumes?

So what is the point of this thread?

GET YOUR FLU SHOT. THIS IS NOT FUN!!!!!! I feel like I got ran over by a truck

Only good part - I get to be my wife's 'wittle baby'
8 people I region have died from H1N1 flu so far. NONE of which took flu shot. Since its said 80% this year in region have had flu shot that says something. Did they swab you to confirm the type?

Old 01-08-2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
8 people I region have died from H1N1 flu so far. NONE of which took flu shot. Since its said 80% this year in region have had flu shot that says something. Did they swab you to confirm the type?
Now you scared me........

I didn't go to the doctor, as I have no insurance. I do however, feel about 90% better. My temperature is now back to normal, and the only symptoms I am having is coughing and stuffy nose.

I woke up feeling almost normal. But my cough has gotten worse. Is that normal?

Old 01-09-2014, 12:28 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,458,537 times
My company has been giving its employees free flu shots for many, many years. For the first 6 years, I never took advantage of it because I just didnt believe in flu shots. Then I got the flu. OMG. I was so sick for 10 days that, at first, I thought I was going to die and, then after that, I prayed to die.

I had all of the OP's symptoms but I also had terrible muscle cramping everywhere, vomiting and diarrhea. I was too ill to eat but I had two dogs who had to be fed -- so I crawled on the floor every day to get their dog food.

When my fever was still 104 after 7 days, I called my daughter on Christmas Eve and asked her to take me to the ER. As you can imagine, the ER was crowded that night. I was too ill to just sit in a chair so I lay on the ER floor, throwing up into drinking cups.

Since that time, I've gotten the flu shot every year.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
My company has been giving its employees free flu shots for many, many years. For the first 6 years, I never took advantage of it because I just didnt believe in flu shots. Then I got the flu. OMG. I was so sick for 10 days that, at first, I thought I was going to die and, then after that, I prayed to die.

I had all of the OP's symptoms but I also had terrible muscle cramping everywhere, vomiting and diarrhea. I was too ill to eat but I had two dogs who had to be fed -- so I crawled on the floor every day to get their dog food.

When my fever was still 104 after 7 days, I called my daughter on Christmas Eve and asked her to take me to the ER. As you can imagine, the ER was crowded that night. I was too ill to just sit in a chair so I lay on the ER floor, throwing up into drinking cups.

Since that time, I've gotten the flu shot every year.
I know that feeling. I only caught the flu, one other time in my life. I believe I was 14 or 15? I know I was in high school, yet didn't have my license. I'll share my flu story (very similar to yours).

I was on my way back from school via the city bus. I went to school on the opposite side of town, so it took about an hour and a half to get home. As soon as I got on the bus, I had the worst headache in the history of headaches. It was so bad, 30 mins later I called my mom to pick me up in downtown. About an hour after I got home, I started vomiting profusely. Well....... I vomited every 5 mins after that for 2 days straight. Literally every 5 mins I vomited for TWO DAYS STRAIGHT!!! I couldn't eat, so my mom had me drink a bunch of water/gatorade so I didn't wreck my stomach.

I remember trying to be tough in front of my sisters, but I was literally scared out of my mind. I really thought I was going to die. I remember going through a tough breakup with my "sweetheart" and I said "would you rather have her back, and keep this going? Or end this, and never see her again" I said END THIS F HER! (I loved her so much, so for me to say that, was a true testament of how bad I felt. She is now my wife).

I'll never forget that horrible experience. No eating for 3 days, and constant vomit for 2 days was not fun. I lost a whopping 10 pounds in 2 days. You'd think I would get my flu shots after that.... Well.... I will be now.

UPDATE: Temperature was 98.3 when I woke up. Every symptom is gone besides the coughing which got worse. I'm starting to have a slight headache, but overall feel much better. I think with some more tea, and rest, i'll be ok tomorrow. I need to get going, as my wife has a physical for the police department, that I need to help her train for.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:39 AM

746 posts, read 1,243,735 times
I'd rather have the flu today than Cancer from the Vaccine later.

I know you all think it is safe and for most it probably is but why would this need to be enacted?

The 1986 National Childhood Vaccine Injury Act was passed was to protect pharmaceutical companies from anyone claiming a vaccine injured their child. Under this law, no parent can sue a vaccine manufacturer.

Last edited by Sky1; 01-09-2014 at 09:56 AM..

Old 01-09-2014, 09:46 AM

503 posts, read 1,205,661 times
I used to get the flu not every year but like every other year. It's horrible and for me usually last 3-4 days of misery. About 20 years ago I started getting the Flu shot and from that time on I've never got the Flu nor did I get cancer from the shot!

Old 01-09-2014, 11:01 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,458,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky1 View Post
...I know you all think it is safe and for most it probably is but why would this need to be enacted?
The 1986 National Childhood Vaccine Injury Act was passed was to protect pharmaceutical companies from anyone claiming a vaccine injured their child. Under this law, no parent can sue a vaccine manufacturer.

That act was due to lawsuits filed on behalf of those who claimed to be injured by the diphtheria/pertussis/tetanus (DPT) vaccine. As a result of those lawsuits, manufacturers halted production, resulting in a vaccine shortage. Public health officials were concerned about the return of epidemic disease so Congress passed that law.

Last edited by TFW46; 01-09-2014 at 11:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness