Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 06:05 AM

23,869 posts, read 33,575,259 times

Advertisements

Walgreens has a new policy for pain medications; they are black balling customers both new & old.
The new policy is supposedly designed to protect their pharmacists but in turn; people with chronic pain are being hurt. Right now there is a medication shortage; taking away one pharmacy can really hurt someone that needs medications. I was a customer of Walgreens since November 2009. My store was out of my meds; I filled at a local store; no customer courtesy; the pharmacist black balled me. Once black balled; you can't use any Walgreens period forever. When it happened to me; I could not get a copy of the policy; it's a huge secret. I go to reputable doctors; have been on the same meds for years. Why was my business all of a sudden not wanted? I've spent $5,000 to $10,000. per year out of pocket. I contacted Walgreens corporate who told me that I was only banned from one pharmacist (wrong). I wrote the FB page trying to get a copy of the policy; they told me that my scripts must have been inappropriate. I made a post on a FB group I go to; someone gave me a copy of the story below.

Walgreens' "secret checklist" reveals controversial new policy on pain pills
Walgreens calls it Good Faith Dispensing Policy checklist.

The controversial checklist – and the policy behind it -- first came to light earlier this year after 13 Investigates reported many Walgreens customers are facing problems when trying to get prescription refills for pain medication.

Walgreens patrons across the nation told Eyewitness News their prescriptions were being delayed or denied because of a new pharmacy policy, but Walgreens would not tell them what the policy is. When WTHR contacted The Walgreen Company corporate headquarters for more information, the pharmacy chain declined to provide a copy of its GFD Policy, explaining it is for "internal use only."

According to the GFD checklist: a pharmacist is required to complete four mandatory steps before filling a prescription for one of the GFD Policy target drugs:

Check Walgreens' national Itercom Plus computer system to confirm the prescription has not been previously denied by another Walgreens pharmacy
Review a customer's personal prescription drug history maintained by a state Prescription Drug Monitoring Program (PDMP). In Indiana, the state tracks all residents' opiod prescriptions using an online PDMP system called INSPECT.
Photocopy a valid government photo ID for the individual(s) dropping off and picking up each prescription
Answer a series of seven questions about the prescription, patient and prescribing doctor to look for "red flags" of possible prescription drug abuse

The additional seven questions include:

Whether the patient has previously received the same medication from Walgreens (new prescription or new patient is a red flag)
Whether the prescription is written for the same medication and from the same doctor as the previous fill (new doctor is possible red flag)
Whether the patient and doctor listed on the prescription are within close geographical proximity to the drug store (far distances that cannot be explained are a red flag)
Whether the prescription is being filled on time (attempt to fill early is a red flag)
Whether the patient is paying for the prescription using insurance (cash is a red flag)
Whether the quantity of pills prescribed is considered excessive (more than 120 pills is a red flag if paying by insurance; more than 60 pills is a red flag if paying cash)
Whether the patient has been taking the same medication and dosage for a long time (more than 6 months is a red flag)

Based on the results of the previous steps and questions, Walgreen's checklist instructs pharmacists to use their "professional judgement" (sic) to determine whether the prescription should be filled or the pharmacy should take the additional step of calling the prescribing doctor to ask more questions.

If a call to the physician is needed to further verify the prescription, the checklist directs Walgreens staff to "verify/confirm any number of the following points" with the doctor:

Prescription is written within prescriber's scope of practice
Diagnosis
Therapeutic regimen is within standard of care
Expected length of treatment
Date of last physical and pain assessment
Use of alternative/lesser prescription medications for pain control
Coordination with other clinicians involved in patient care

Having trouble getting a prescription for pain medication filled at Walgreens? File a complaint here.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:57 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
I am shocked to read this...but with the way things are with crime and drug use...
I guess I shouldn't be so surprised.
It's like a futuristic movie to me!

What will be next? Thank you for the info.

Btw, many dictionaries say judgment or judgement are correct....surprised me.
(Commenting on the 'sic' that was used above.)

Old 01-14-2014, 07:03 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,533,060 times
They did this to my husband years ago in SC. Walgreens opened a bunch of stores in our area after not having much of a presence in this state. We previously lived in IL and used Walgreens almost exclusively to fill all of our prescriptions. My husband has 5 different serious conditions that cause him a great deal of pain as of the last few years and he gets pain meds for those conditions. He doesn't abuse them. He was sick and went to the doctor and got a prescription for an antibiotic and pain meds; turned them into Walgreens and when he went to pick them up we could not afford the cost of that antibiotic. Because both meds were ordered at the same time Walgreens would not let him buy only the pain meds. My husband has now quit buying anything at Walgreens and I rarely purchase anything there myself. Too bad, they had our exclusive loyalty and they blew it with one trip. My husband's prescription bill tops $5K a year now. Too bad you are losing out Walgreens.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:14 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
They did this to my husband years ago in SC. Walgreens opened a bunch of stores in our area after not having much of a presence in this state. We previously lived in IL and used Walgreens almost exclusively to fill all of our prescriptions. My husband has 5 different serious conditions that cause him a great deal of pain as of the last few years and he gets pain meds for those conditions. He doesn't abuse them. He was sick and went to the doctor and got a prescription for an antibiotic and pain meds; turned them into Walgreens and when he went to pick them up we could not afford the cost of that antibiotic. Because both meds were ordered at the same time Walgreens would not let him buy only the pain meds. My husband has now quit buying anything at Walgreens and I rarely purchase anything there myself. Too bad, they had our exclusive loyalty and they blew it with one trip. My husband's prescription bill tops $5K a year now. Too bad you are losing out Walgreens.
I think this one is understandable.
If someone is sick but turns down the antibiotic that would treat the illness but wants a commonly abused substance, I can see where it would look very suspicious.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:25 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,446,745 times
I once spent a summer in great pain because I thought my physician would not refill my prescription for a pain medication. Finally, I phoned his office manager and discovered he had given Walgreen's pharmacy permission to refill it. It was Walgreen's who wouldn't do the refill. They never had another prescription from me to refill. This was about 3 or 4 years ago.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:27 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,533,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I think this one is understandable.
If someone is sick but turns down the antibiotic that would treat the illness but wants a commonly abused substance, I can see where it would look very suspicious.
I maintain that is not their position. After this happened DH called his doctor and told them all about it. He did end up getting only those pain meds at CVS.

I can understand a pharmacy's need or want to verify a prescription, but after that's checked up on, it's not their place to deny. If you have a valid prescription for anything, the pharmacy should fill it! I think it ended up that the doctor prescribed the most expensive antibiotic she could. He went to the office and got FREE samples. One should not have to starve to afford the medicines they need, but that's another topic all together!

Old 01-14-2014, 09:48 AM

44,634 posts, read 61,638,098 times
If you dig deep further you'll find that the drugs are regulated by law and insurance company's and the pharmacies are instructed by the insurance companies as to when and how much can be re-filled at any given time. Too many abuses by customers in the past have caused these situations to be more regulated.
We've been with Walgreens for over 30 years and have had no problems. Several times they've explained any hold up was the waiting for your insurance company's approval.
Pharmacies are just caught in the middle by all the regulations and laws regarding prescription drugs.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:45 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,798,808 times
I had been using Walgreen's for a pain med that was prescribed by a local doc.
One day Walgreens suddenly didn't have it. I had to go another local pharmacy. This happened 3x then I called the pharmacy manager and asked what was UP? She "said" Walgreens had been fined several millions of dollars in Florida due to not following guidelines and that since then each store was given only so many of XY and Z pills each month and that if she could she would hold back enough pills for the regular Walgreen customers who were taking the meds on the up and up.
Not entirely sure I believe here but that was her story and she was sticking to it.

I just don't understand the problem/issue with legit docs prescribing needed medications; be they pain meds or otherwise. The pharmaceutical companies make them for a reason.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:00 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,167,308 times
At my local Walgreens they have signs up in the pharmacy area that state that they will only fill narcotic pain prescriptions at their discretion. Apparently they got in trouble for not following guidelines about filling pain prescriptions so now they are covering their butts and it's their customers who aren't doing anything wrong that have to suffer.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:23 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,757,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
If you dig deep further you'll find that the drugs are regulated by law and insurance company's and the pharmacies are instructed by the insurance companies as to when and how much can be re-filled at any given time. Too many abuses by customers in the past have caused these situations to be more regulated.
We've been with Walgreens for over 30 years and have had no problems. Several times they've explained any hold up was the waiting for your insurance company's approval.
Pharmacies are just caught in the middle by all the regulations and laws regarding prescription drugs.
I have never used Walgreen's to fill a prescription (we don't have them where I live)...however, it does not sound like Walgreen's is just caught in the middle by all the regulations and laws. It sounds like Walgreen's is flat out refusing to fill legal valid prescriptions based on their own opinions of the customers medical condition as they perceive it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.