Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 10:06 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,228,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
I am sorry but you do not know what you don't know. Your advice could harm this person. He needs to get checked out to hopefully rule out serious issues. He could, in fact, have heart issues, it could be any number of things that are alarming. But he won't know until he gets some tests done.
Please re-read my post. Did I advise him NOT to go to a doctor? No, I deliberately said, several times in fact, that he should absolutely get checked out. But as a person who has dealt with similar, and a host of other chronic health issues, I just pointed out that there is a good possibility that nothing serious will be found.
Sadly, like I said, having dealt with many many issues and repeated doctor visits, and witnessing similar with my family members, I wish these doctors were as all-knowing and helpful as people make them out to be. When in many cases, people deal with debilitating chronic symptoms that severely impact their lives and doctors do absolutely nothing, because all standard tests show up 'fine'. Just saying, be prepared for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 10:10 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,386,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
there's no reason to overdramatize and induce panic by saying he may not survive the next time etc.
It's not necessary to be a doctor to predict what happens if the OP will drive or walk across the street or operate some dangerous equipment during the next possible "thing". What bothers me is that after many years of not having any problems like that he had two blackouts almost in a row. I would suggest not waiting for the third time.

Old 02-13-2014, 03:12 AM

261 posts, read 1,350,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David910 View Post
So, after talking to some family, we have decided to just let things be, and if anything else happens, I will go to a doctor. Obviously, as you can imagine, being blinded is really scary, but I feel like there are certain factors that I can do to prevent the blinding from occurring.

Now the choking/pressing sensation in my sleep, and whether or not it's related, I have no idea.
I would guess the choking/pressing in your sleep would just be sleep paralysis, but I would definitely get the rest checked out. Do you drive? If so, please get it checked out for everyone's safety, including your's.

Old 02-13-2014, 03:15 AM

Quote:
So, after talking to some family, we have decided to just let things be, and if anything else happens, I will go to a doctor. Obviously, as you can imagine, being blinded is really scary, but I feel like there are certain factors that I can do to prevent the blinding from occurring.

Now the choking/pressing sensation in my sleep, and whether or not it's related, I have no idea.
I would guess the choking/pressing in your sleep would just be sleep paralysis, but I would definitely get the rest checked out. Do you drive? If so, please get it checked out for everyone's safety, including your's.

Old 02-13-2014, 04:35 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,654,900 times
Get to an emergency room, I wouldn't wait for a doctor. If you happen to be worried about the cost, they will put you on a payment plan you can afford.
I never go to a doctor but with these symptoms you are really taking a very big chance.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:02 AM

Quote:

Old 02-13-2014, 06:19 AM

933 posts, read 1,477,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
How old are you? In teenagers, diabetes often start with losing weight, not gaining.
Did you weight change recently? If yes, how and how much? Did you experience thing like "almost fell asleep while walking/standing"? Do you speak in your sleep?
Even if you are not a teenager, and all answers are "no", middle finger advice still stands. You might simply not survive the third time. Go to WebMD Symptom Checker from WebMD. Check Your Medical Symptoms. enter your symptoms, see what it says. Try finding some advice online. If you are short of time, ask online doctors first. If you are also short of money, go to a local public health facility and ask for advice.
I have not lost weight recently. I have always been in 25th percentile for weight.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:23 AM

933 posts, read 1,477,917 times
This morning I decided to tell, not ask, the original family members I talked about in a previous post that we need to at least call the doctor, tell him the symptoms, and see how to proceed. Once this happens, I will alert you all as to what he said. It will probably be this afternoon.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:33 AM

757 posts, read 1,094,191 times
David910, I do not wish to alarm you but I would go to an Urgent Care immediately. The doctor will most likely tell you the same thing. These are serious symptoms and should not be taken lightly. I come from a long history of working with my family's insurance firm, health insurance specifically. My point is that I have seen things go really wrong quickly when people try to blow things off.

An Urgent Care is a good alternative unless your doctor can see you immediately. It will be less expensive than an ER and will be able to see you today. I won't speculate on what the problem is as could be a lot of things. I'm sure they will want to do a blood test, EKG and some basic neurological testing. More testing could include some sort of scan.

It's always better to be safe than sorry.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:51 AM

600 posts, read 659,802 times
to the O.P.,

i get it and also have an aversion to going to the 'doctor'. efficacy is usually not very high with doctor visits, unless theres an acute/emergency situation. However, since you seem to be rather selfless, i suggest you think about others when it comes to your decision to go and get things checked out.

Think of your loved ones and how they would feel if you were to tragically die. think of innocentby-standers if you were to happen to black out while driving and inadvertently harm them.

in your case, i definitely feel it is better to be safe than sorry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness