Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2014, 02:38 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,062,282 times

Advertisements

Alright, anyways please don't judge, but I am 21 and for whatever reason I decided to randomly buy a pack of cigarettes.
I initially wasn't doing it correctly, I wasn't inhaling at all. So I never got what was so amazing about it.

So then my sister saw me and told me I'm suppose to inhale it, so I inhale and get immediately start coughing like crazy, and felt horrible and extremely lightheaded.
Later that day, I try a menthol cigarette, and I only finished about half of it. I walked outside my apartement to smoke it, and was so lightheaded I had a hard time walking back into my apartment. I walk back into my apartment and immediately have to lay down. And I was coughing a lot.

Anyways since then I haven't even touched them and I am left with 2 almost full packs of cigarettes I'll probably give to someone at work.

But everything we were told in school growing up from elementary to high school is all it takes is one puff and you'll magically be addicted for life. I'm calling BS on that.

Maybe it's because my body is not used to smoking and if I were to continue for a while I would probably get used to the smoke and I won't cough or feel as horrible as I did the first few times, but I have no desire to pick another cigarette up. Just looking at them makes me feel sick. But yet I hear stories from lots of people is all it took was one cigarette and they magically became insanely addicted forever.

Anyways, I'm glad that I don't "get it"

Old 02-23-2014, 02:48 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,668,392 times
Be very glad you don't get it.

It's been so very many years since I took my first puff I couldn't even remotely tell you what it was like. Back then, they didn't have so many chemicals and other poisons in the things. I do remember my first hit was a Parliament, and I smoked those for quite awhile. It was smooth and pleasant, but I'm sure I coughed and got light-headed, too, just like you did.

The main reason I took up smoking was because it was forbidden in my family and environment. I got out on my own at 18 and took it up out of spite. I smoked very heavily for years (45), then when 0bama signed SCHIP, I went to vaping to avoid insane cigarette taxes.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:10 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,524,243 times
The cough is your lungs reacting to being filled with something they don't like. You'd also cough if you were in a fire smoke filled room. I smoked for 35 years and finally grew tired of the cough and expense. While cigarettes used to contain many fewer ingredients than they do today, I do remember coughing on them when I first started smoking in the early 70's.

Glad you didn't like it and stopped.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:21 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,644,605 times
My first cigarette was disgusting. I tried smoking a few years later and I was hooked. The first time I purchased cigarettes the cashier asked me if I wanted hard or soft? I figured I just started smoking, so soft would be best for me. When I learned a hard pack was a box, I always purchased the hard pack.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:35 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post
Is it normal to try cigarettes and not like them at all or anything?
Pretty much.

This is why RJ Reynolds put saccharine into his tobacco.
It helped to it them more appealing to children.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:18 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Not really a H&W topic, not sure where it should go. Closed.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness