Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 09:43 AM

26,662 posts, read 28,768,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
My mother has it and the treatment has ruined her life. For 15 years, some quack has had her hopped up on ADD medication, heavy pain killers, and anti-depressants. She does nothing, can't think straight, is up all night, wanders aimlessley around stores, won't even prepare food for herself, is moody and mean at times, and has such horrible ADD that you often can't have a conversation with her.

She doesn't eat much and broke a hip at age 64 (I've heard the heavy pain meds can cause brittle bones). She spends most of her time trying to get sympathy for her FM and ADD, has no friends, and is the most difficult person I've ever had to deal with. She won't do anything physical AT ALL. Mostly, she just sits in a recliner, spaced out, watching QVC. She's basically a junkie and whatever quack keeps writing her prescriptions is her dealer.
That's such a sad story. Some people do improve on antidepressants--not because they have depression--but because the medication has a certain effect on the neurotransmitters in the brain. Fibromyalgia is so complicated that what works for one person won't work for another person. If the antidepressant supplies the substance (pre-cursor?) that the person is missing it can block the pain but it's hit or miss. It's more like a coincidence if something actually works. There are other things like nutritional supplements, diet, amino acids--I tried all the supplements that work for SOME people but none of them worked for me. Your mother is obviously not helped by that medication and it's just ruining her life. Too bad she can't get to a good doctor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 10:16 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,270,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
That's such a sad story. Some people do improve on antidepressants--not because they have depression--but because the medication has a certain effect on the neurotransmitters in the brain. Fibromyalgia is so complicated that what works for one person won't work for another person. If the antidepressant supplies the substance (pre-cursor?) that the person is missing it can block the pain but it's hit or miss. It's more like a coincidence if something actually works. There are other things like nutritional supplements, diet, amino acids--I tried all the supplements that work for SOME people but none of them worked for me. Your mother is obviously not helped by that medication and it's just ruining her life. Too bad she can't get to a good doctor.
The problem is, she thinks she's ok. I brought up the topic of having her meds re-evaluated and was promptly screamed at, told that I'm disrespectful and mean And for the life of me, I can't figure out why she's on meds for ADD. She never seemed to have it until she started on the ADD medication. She loves to use ADD as an excuse for her entire life now. Even though she got straight As up through high school, she's still convinced that she had horrible ADD the entire time, and that the ADD prevented her from going to college and having a career. She just says things that make no sense, blatantly lies, just like someone on meth. Anyone who talks to her for 10 minutes can tell something is seriously wrong with her. I wish she'd tell me who writes all her prescriptions so I could intervene.

I've suggested other forms of therapy to her (like the water therapy) and she'll have nothing to do with it. She loves popping her pills, and showing people all the pills lined up in the container. She's 69 now, and I doubt she'll make it much longer. She's going to be living all alone soon (my dad's dying), and it'll just be her and her pills. She refused to move to assisted living because she's also a hoarder and won't part with her "things". I fear she'll die alone in the house and no one will find her for a long time. I live 700 miles away, and she has no family left. I've discussed how dangerous this will be for her, but she just yells at me. I'm just letting it go. It's sad, but I suppose the pills and her things make her happy.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:59 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,408,388 times
I have fibro and it is def real. Sometimes it pains me more than my Rheumatoid Arthritis. I have seen as well as worked for doctors who do not believe in fm. There are also drs who use it as a blanket dx when they can't figure out what's the matter.

What you need is a good Rheumatologist. Many rheumatological illnesses also have fm along with them unfortunately and they will treat it as well.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:03 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,540,346 times
Yes fibro is one of those that are up in the air.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:35 PM

37,183 posts, read 41,391,387 times
The problem with fibromyalgia is that there is no test that can either confirm it or rule it out. That means that it is, unfortunately, something that can be faked, in the same way some people fake having back pain. Docs get tired of trying to separate people with true problems from the malingerers and sometimes throw in the towel and give up.

What research there is seems to suggest that it is a disorder in the processing of nerve signals and not actually an abnormality of the tissues in the painful areas. That means that the pathology is in the brain, not the muscle or connective tissue. Until the physiology is worked out, treating it is problematic. That is frustrating for doctor and patient alike.

Perhaps it would have been more diplomatic for the doctor in the OP just to say he was not comfortable treating it and refer the patient to someone else.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:33 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,839,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The problem with fibromyalgia is that there is no test that can either confirm it or rule it out. That means that it is, unfortunately, something that can be faked, in the same way some people fake having back pain. Docs get tired of trying to separate people with true problems from the malingerers and sometimes throw in the towel and give up.

What research there is seems to suggest that it is a disorder in the processing of nerve signals and not actually an abnormality of the tissues in the painful areas. That means that the pathology is in the brain, not the muscle or connective tissue. Until the physiology is worked out, treating it is problematic. That is frustrating for doctor and patient alike.

Perhaps it would have been more diplomatic for the doctor in the OP just to say he was not comfortable treating it and refer the patient to someone else.
While I agree some people might "fake" this illness for nefarious reasons, many many truly suffer from it and only wish they could get better.

Doctors do at least have the 18 Points test to help them diagnose the disease.

18 Points Used to Diagnose Fibromyalgia (test) - Fibromyalgia - MSN Healthy Living

Old 04-29-2014, 11:14 PM

37,183 posts, read 41,391,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
While I agree some people might "fake" this illness for nefarious reasons, many many truly suffer from it and only wish they could get better.

Doctors do at least have the 18 Points test to help them diagnose the disease.

18 Points Used to Diagnose Fibromyalgia (test) - Fibromyalgia - MSN Healthy Living
That particular test turns out not to be very helpful, and there is really not a better one.

Biology and therapy of fibromyalgia. Evidence-based biomarkers for fibromyalgia syndrome

Old 04-30-2014, 06:31 AM

14,434 posts, read 14,370,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I was just at a drs office and was with a friend and asked her dr about fibromyalgia and he said he did not believe in it and it is just normal aches and pains that women have and they should stop complaining and get up off their butt and move more ...they hurt because they don't move and their joints get stiff and he said he has testified on medical records that the woman who wanted disability is just lazy I was so mad when I left there and im wondering if there are not more of these idiots out there who are drs and causing people to loose their disability claims ?
Is your friend seeing a board-certified, rheumatologist? Most of these doctors do believe that fibromyalgia is a real thing and will not claim its made up. If a person doesn't stand to benefit by bringing some kind of a claim for compensation it does puzzle that doctors tend to be this skeptical. However, if she is seeking social security disability it does make the whole thing more questionable.

If she isn't seeing a rheumatologist, she can google the name and try to find one in her area.

Rheumatologist | Find Rheumatologists in the US

Geographic Electronic Directory of Members

Last edited by markg91359; 04-30-2014 at 06:43 AM..

Old 04-30-2014, 11:01 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,270,539 times
One thing I've notices, watching those Hoarder shows, is that many of them have fibromyalgia. What's the connection? Chicken or egg?? My mom has FM and is also a hoarder.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:33 PM

18,544 posts, read 18,814,679 times
The sad thing is that most people with illnesses that cant be determined by bloody tests. only want help not a big payout or sickenss benefits.... Ive had this illness MCS for forty odd years now and no doctor has helped.. patch tests that I insisted on did show up on my back that I was sensitive to three main things.. all petro chemical related.... that was twenty years ago and I still dont have help from doctors... Even to have a doctor who admits to undestanding would be a help...Ive changed doctors twice and I hate bringing up the subject...as I can see the glazed look come over them.. One doctor kept his head down when I asked if he could help me... he didnt answer then looked at the door ..... I asked him if that was him finished ... and he looked at me and said... "we just dont know enough"... I really think he was ashamed..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness