Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2016, 12:05 PM

80 posts, read 105,286 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I recently moved in with my boyfriend who snores. Very loudly. I know he needs to get an evaluation (probably has sleep apnea) but in the meantime, I sleep very poorly. Many nights I end up on the couch (which also affects my sleep quality). I'd rather we have separate rooms but that is not possible right now.

I'm not sensitive to other loud noises, but anything repetitive makes my brain want to explode.

I've tried a couple different earplugs. Regular earplugs hurt my ears, even the small ones. I also got tried the "world's finest earplugs." They are ok. They are supposed to create a seal, but it doesn't always stay sealed throughout the night and once I hear the snoring, I can't unhear it.

Does anyone have a good recommendation that will block out his snoring and that is comfortable to sleep in (as I'm a side sleeper)?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 12:35 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,799,930 times
You mentioned the possibilities. My worst sleep ever was when I was with another person. Love sleeping alone....Hope you can get much needed sleep.

Old 04-21-2016, 02:41 PM

48,578 posts, read 34,956,927 times
Pillow placed firmly over his head for about 7 minutes.

Has he tried the breathe right strips or the nasal inhalant? Both OTC.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-21-2016, 06:45 PM

201 posts, read 195,737 times
Hi gypsy Soul,
The cure is likely with him. If you resolve your issue, he will likely never bother getting the sleep study. Have him sleep ion the couch, that will motivate him as well. But if insurance is a problem here are a few things that might help. Have him sleep kind of siting up or rather his upper body boosted up on pillows it might reduce it. A "wedge" shaped pillow like people with breating difficulties use might get him by. If he sleeps on his side vs back it will help too. Many people only snore when they are on their back. Losing weight helps hugely too. I know from personal experience. Normal weight= no sleep CPAP needed, over weight I have to use the CPAP.

He absolutely has to get a sleep study because snoring aside not using a CPAP when you need one is dangerous (if he falls asleep at unsafe times) and can cause heart problems let alone make him mentally an physically so run down. I hope he gets help soon for his health. I'm sorry I can't come up with other ideas for your noise problem. I'm wondering if a sleep study place might have ideas?? Often they are listed as pulmonary (lung) sleep centers.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:46 PM

3,265 posts, read 5,012,090 times
OP, I feel your pain. My husband was a terrible snorer for the first few years of our marriage. I tried ear plugs and a white noise machine, and the combination of the two worked a little, but not enough. We lived in a two-bedroom apartment, and often I would go and sleep in the other bedroom -- still using the ear plugs and the white noise machine, because his snoring could be heard from the other bedroom too!

After a few years of this, I convinced him to have a sleep study done, and it turned out he had pretty bad sleep apnea. He started using a c-pap machine, and that did the trick. The snoring ended, and I was able to sleep soundly in our shared bedroom.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:54 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,457,524 times
I confess, I used to snore...loudly. I didn't know that I did until my partner told me. How embarrassing! but also, it definitely was not good for our relationship.

I had a sleep study and yes, I snore and had moderate apnea. I tried a Cpap...no way. I could not tolerate it. I am a very light sleeper and the mask drove me nuts.

I found a dentist who made a device that has eliminated both the snoring and the apnea. My insurance only covered a little of the expense, so I had to come up with the $1300 more out of my pocket. Best money I have spent.

No more snoring, no more apnea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness