Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 05:54 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,278,570 times

Advertisements

This organization, the Job Accommodation Network, has been an invaluable resource for case managers for injured workers over the years. Perhaps someone could help with your individual situation: JAN - Job Accommodation Network
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 07:40 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
There are some brands of shoes that work well for people with flat feet. One is Merrill, another is Vitonic, and another one is Stegmann clogs. They are expensive. I just learned about these brands in the shoe store. The sales person said that these are the brands that the doctors recommend.

The right shoes might make a difference for you. I know I live in the Stegmann clogs most of the time and they really help.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:33 AM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
OP from your post your foot problem was not a work related injury so workman's comp won't do you any good. Secondly you need to see a podiatrist and get a letter from him stating you have limited disability and need accommodations at work to perform your duties. Just telling your employer you need special accommodations won't fly for ADA rules unless you have a doctors approval.
I have flat feet also plus crushed metatarsals, have for over 50 years, but I had custom orthotics made years ago and can walk and stand normally for hours without any pain or discomfort, you should do the same, you'll be amazed at the difference.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:58 PM

105 posts, read 137,054 times
That is exactly what I am trying to find out. What rights do I have at the workplace? As far as I understand, I need to have my doctor write a letter explaining what accommodations I need, and I have to bring it to my employer?

But is my employer required to provide these accommodations? Does that depend on the state I live in?

Where would I find this legal information?

Old 05-01-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
OP from your post your foot problem was not a work related injury so workman's comp won't do you any good. Secondly you need to see a podiatrist and get a letter from him stating you have limited disability and need accommodations at work to perform your duties. Just telling your employer you need special accommodations won't fly for ADA rules unless you have a doctors approval.
I have flat feet also plus crushed metatarsals, have for over 50 years, but I had custom orthotics made years ago and can walk and stand normally for hours without any pain or discomfort, you should do the same, you'll be amazed at the difference.
You are lucky! I have custom orthotics and still have pain

Old 05-01-2014, 01:07 PM

Thanks for your advice, everyone!

Old 05-01-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeig104 View Post
This organization, the Job Accommodation Network, has been an invaluable resource for case managers for injured workers over the years. Perhaps someone could help with your individual situation: JAN - Job Accommodation Network
Thanks! Though my pain does not come from an injury. It's a chronic condition.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:51 PM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
OP It doesn't matter what state you're in, ADA rules are Federal and covers all US states. Yes your employer must to their best ability try to accommodate you if you have a doctors written letter.

This ADA website should answer all your questions:
ADA - Your Employment Rights as an Individual With a Disability

Old 05-03-2014, 12:18 PM

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness