Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 09:17 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,146,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
The difference between us is that my post is based on my experience. It's my real deal. Not yours. Yours is based on your theory. If you can't see the difference between our two posts I can only assume your are a genuine conspiracy theorist, or some people would call what you are saying ridiculous as you simply are making stuff up in your head and thinking that's the way things are.
I am trying to help people based on my experiences while you are making stuff up that you have no proof for.

There are too many people needless suffering because they are afraid to take pain meds. I don't like to see people suffering because they are too afraid to get some relief based on theories such as yours. If people want to suffer that is their right, and it's really none of my business, but I am trying to possibly help one person to relieve their fear.

There is a HUGE difference on something based on actual experience as opposed to something that one believes. Belief is simply another word for I don't know.
Did you actually read and comprehend what I wrote? I agreed with you. However, to suggest that no one will ever become addicted is just willfull ignorance.

My "conspiracy" was partly in jest. However, what I said wasn't made up. A bottle of 2% Pennsaid is $100 for a 1 month supply. A bottle of 30 Vicodin is like $5. I know a heck of a lot more about pharmaceuticals than you. You have no idea what my background or life experience is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 09:54 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,944,732 times
Doctors have become very hesitant to prescribe pain medications. I think they do their patients a huge disservice by refusing to prescribe when the patients are genuinely in pain, and often make their patients feel like junkies begging for their "fix".

Old 05-09-2014, 10:37 AM

708 posts, read 1,295,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Doctors have become very hesitant to prescribe pain medications. I think they do their patients a huge disservice by refusing to prescribe when the patients are genuinely in pain, and often make their patients feel like junkies begging for their "fix".
I couldn't agree with you more. When I started this post I had just finished listening to a story from my wife who is a hospice nurse. More times than I can count the hospice doctor has prescribed morphine to patients that literally have weeks to live to alleviate their severe pain and their family members have overridden the doctors orders because they didn't want their "loved" ones to become addicted to morphine.

Yes there are people that become addicted to pain meds. I know a few. Yes there are doctors, that make people feel like they are asking for meds for pain and made to feel like a junkie. Most of the doctors I have give plenty of pain meds because they know I am, or will be suffering from an operation. I am not advocating for the indiscriminate use of pain meds, but at the same time I am telling people based on MY experiences than one can take pain meds and not become addicted. Not everyone is like me, and I hope people understand that my post was from my personal experiences.

I was simply speaking to people that are afraid to take Tylenol # 3 for a week after surgery because they don't want to become addicted, and to those family members that withhold pain meds to their family members simply because of their hang ups about pain meds.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:12 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
It has been my experience that when I'm having severe pain, a narcotic doesn't make me feel high or even sleepy. When I'm nearly healed and experiencing less pain, taking the same medicine will make me feel like that. So when I start to feel like the painkiller makes me feel good, I know it's time to quit taking it, or to decrease the dose. I've always assumed that people who got addicted were the ones who kept on taking it after the pain was gone.

After I broke my leg, my mother was horrible about the pain meds. She called me several times a day to ask if I had taken them and to tell me I was going to end up a homeless drug addict. When she was in the hospital with a septic infection, they were giving her morphine and I never tried to make them stop or told her she was going to get addicted...I figured if she survived, we'd worry about the morphine later if it became an issue. It never did become an issue.

Old 05-09-2014, 02:23 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,965,703 times
I know what pain is I was in an accident, broke every rib in my body, fractured my tailbone, pelvis, blunt trauma to two cranial nerves with back of head stapled together. Pain surrounds you, it's just you and PAIN and you want out of it. I was in ICU 2 weeks and was doped good. Then moved to a regular room and still it was just me and the PAIN. I was totally doped from August (date of accident) until November.

When I was transferred to a Rehab Hospital to learn to walk again prior to my 9:00 AM therapy I was injected with pain med to make it to therapy. In addition to pain pills they gave me. I was injected once again for the afternoon session. Two years of physical therapy with pain meds and 5 years under the care of a neurologist, orthopedist, ob/gyn and my dear family doc I finally felt like I was back to the land of the living. No pain meds, no addiction, no withdrawal.

During this dark period in my life, I don't know if I was high, it was just me and my pain and I would have eaten tree bark if it would have taken the pain away. I did not come out of this addicted to pain meds (Dilaudid, Oxy, Fentanyl) but I did have an addiction to Ativan that I was given as a sleep aid.

One Ativan did it in the beginning, then two, three, four, five and it hit me, my goodness I am hooked on these things and it's taking more and more to help me sleep. No highs, just wanted some sleep. So I flushed the Ativan down the toilet and it took me almost six weeks of no sleep walking the floor to finally be able to lay my head down on my pillow and go to sleep naturally as I had done for years prior to being thrown 40 feet into a tree.

I don't recall any highs during my five years of getting my body back together. All I do recall is feeling as if I was not part of this world. Family and friends would visit me in the hospital and Rehab hospital and at that time I have no idea who came to see me, who sent flowers, what they talked about, if I even talked, cause it was just me and my pain.

I have two relatives that are addicts, thankfully one has been clean 5 years. The other one just goes for the highs. Both started with painful medical problems and yes they got hooked. The one that is clean started dealing pills to maintain her habit, got caught and was placed in rehab and then probation.

I think it's just the individual and some people have addictive personalities and yes narcotics are addictive and people need to be aware of the problems that can arise when taking pain meds.

I had total knee replacement surgery, lots of pain, on the pain meds after surgery and during PT but when pain was gone no more pain meds. Just stating people are different and I can well understand how someone can become addicted but then again others don't.

Old 05-09-2014, 03:16 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,321,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
Since you entitled this "the real deal," I'm gonna throw in my "real deal." The push away from narcotics is a racket, designed to get people in chronic pain, to switch over to newer, more expensive medications, that have way more side effects than a typical narcotic. A bottle of 30 Vicodin may cost someone $5. Some of these newer topical NSAIDs cost $100 and that's with decent insurance. That list of side effects, in the long run, are going to cause a person a heck of a lot more physical problems than a narcotic.
This is just awful.

I've actually had a doc pressure me to take a particular medicine even with nasty side-effects. I didn't give in. I thought about going to the medical authorities about this. It's such a shame people need to watch their doc's motivations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness