Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 10:34 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,774,263 times

Advertisements

The OP has already been to an ER. Emergency services can't treat her problem. They can only alleviate the pain until she can get to an appropriate medical practitioner. The point, is that she is supposed to actually GO to an appropriate medical practitioner. In her case it's an OB/GYN practice.

As far as self-pay goes - I've never heard of ANY doctor refusing to take cash for medical services, and most doctors take credit cards. There is also a credit program specifically for medical care, called Care Credit.

I don't know why people call and ASK if doctors accept cash. It's a ridiculous question to ask. You ask if the doctor has an opening. If they say yes, you make an appointment.

The papers you have to read and sign when you get there specify that the patient is responsible for paying the fee - NOT the insurance company. Some insurance plans are actually reimbursement plans or savings plans, and require that the patient pay up front, and get reimbursed after the *patient* submits the paperwork. Doctors, in those cases, don't know or care who pays the patient back. All they care about is that THEY get paid at the time of the service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 11:32 AM

624 posts, read 762,906 times
I don't mean to alarm the OP, but if you have poly-cystic ovary disease, you are at an increased risk of uterine cancer. I just wanted to point this out; I had poly-cystic ovaries and my gyno never told me of the connection. I ended up with cancer. I have passed the 5 year cancer-free mark, but the fear of going another round with the disease is always in the back of your mind

What are the risk factors for endometrial cancer?

Polycystic ovarian syndrome

Women with a condition called polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) have abnormal hormone levels, such as higher androgen (male hormones) and estrogen levels and lower levels of progesterone. The increase in estrogen relative to progesterone can increase a woman's chance of getting endometrial cancer.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:45 AM

18,383 posts, read 19,015,863 times
get to a doc asap. could you be pregnant? I had an ectopic pregnancy decades ago that was hugely painful and not diagnosed for weeks. I also lost a kidney due to a huge cyst that was also extremely painful. what ever it is you need help very fast. forget about what it cost just go. your health is important.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:36 PM

5 posts, read 43,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
teresa, whereabouts do you live? Here where I live, in the Tampa Bay area, we have an excellent public health clinic. People pay sliding scale based on income, some people don't pay anything at all if they qualify for the county insurance program, which is free to people below a certain income level.

You need to get with a local social services office to help you out and point you in the right direction.
I live in wilmington nc ive been to our free clinic but they wouldnt look at the issue at hand.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:40 PM

5 posts, read 43,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The OP has already been to an ER. Emergency services can't treat her problem. They can only alleviate the pain until she can get to an appropriate medical practitioner. The point, is that she is supposed to actually GO to an appropriate medical practitioner. In her case it's an OB/GYN practice.

As far as self-pay goes - I've never heard of ANY doctor refusing to take cash for medical services, and most doctors take credit cards. There is also a credit program specifically for medical care, called Care Credit.

I don't know why people call and ASK if doctors accept cash. It's a ridiculous question to ask. You ask if the doctor has an opening. If they say yes, you make an appointment.

The papers you have to read and sign when you get there specify that the patient is responsible for paying the fee - NOT the insurance company. Some insurance plans are actually reimbursement plans or savings plans, and require that the patient pay up front, and get reimbursed after the *patient* submits the paperwork. Doctors, in those cases, don't know or care who pays the patient back. All they care about is that THEY get paid at the time of the service.
I dont understand why your talking too me like I have no sence but the dr's in NC do have the right to not accept new paitents if your self pay ..thats why I called them and I know a the ER can only relieve symptoms thats why ive been looking for a dr. Which I finially found a GYN who wpuld take me on as a new patient with self pay so I am taking the steps to find out whats going on..I posted on this site too see of anyone else has experienced what I am for comfort and knowledge while I wait for my apt. Which is tuesday.

Ty

Old 06-05-2014, 02:37 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,774,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teresahenry78 View Post
I dont understand why your talking too me like I have no sence but the dr's in NC do have the right to not accept new paitents if your self pay ..thats why I called them and I know a the ER can only relieve symptoms thats why ive been looking for a dr. Which I finially found a GYN who wpuld take me on as a new patient with self pay so I am taking the steps to find out whats going on..I posted on this site too see of anyone else has experienced what I am for comfort and knowledge while I wait for my apt. Which is tuesday.

Ty
Private practice doctors have the right to not accept new patients, period. That has nothing to do with whether or not you pay out of pocket or through your insurance company. In fact, there are even a few doctors I've heard of, who will ONLY take cash/credit patients, and don't accept ANY insurance at all and won't submit paperwork for anyone who is insured.

My OB/GYN is not accepting new patients at all, and in fact, when I returned to her after several years of neglect to my own gynecological health, I was considered a "new" patient again, and have to see someone else in their group that is accepting new patients. Their group accepts my insurance. Their rejection of new patients had nothing to with method of payment. It had to do with the fact that my old doctor will be retiring in a few years and doesn't want "new business" while she's trying to clear up "old business."

My comments about the ER were intended for QuilterChick and a couple of others who posted after her, who urged you to go to the ER, after you had already said you DID go to the ER. It didn't seem like they had read your post because if they had, they would have known you already went to the ER and wouldn't be telling you to go to the ER. You already went. I saw that, and pointed it out to those other posters.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:20 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,537,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Private practice doctors have the right to not accept new patients, period. That has nothing to do with whether or not you pay out of pocket or through your insurance company. In fact, there are even a few doctors I've heard of, who will ONLY take cash/credit patients, and don't accept ANY insurance at all and won't submit paperwork for anyone who is insured.

My OB/GYN is not accepting new patients at all, and in fact, when I returned to her after several years of neglect to my own gynecological health, I was considered a "new" patient again, and have to see someone else in their group that is accepting new patients. Their group accepts my insurance. Their rejection of new patients had nothing to with method of payment. It had to do with the fact that my old doctor will be retiring in a few years and doesn't want "new business" while she's trying to clear up "old business."

My comments about the ER were intended for QuilterChick and a couple of others who posted after her, who urged you to go to the ER, after you had already said you DID go to the ER. It didn't seem like they had read your post because if they had, they would have known you already went to the ER and wouldn't be telling you to go to the ER. You already went. I saw that, and pointed it out to those other posters.

The woman/young lady obviously has a serious problem. If you don't have any positive advice for this poster in the way of helping her, I have no idea why you are continuing to badger her when she IS in an emergency situation.

The fact that this young lady, with two small children, no health insurance, and has come on this forum asking for help trumps anything you have said arguing about payments which is irrelevant. I still think she needs to get herself to a major hospital, and is why I recommended Duke Medical Center not too far from where she resides.

If she can wait until Tuesday to be seen by a good OB GYN, she needs our blessings for a good outcome; and I hope that she gets back to us next week with good news.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:37 PM

218 posts, read 287,856 times
Teresa,

Is there a UNC affiliated hospital in the Wilmington area? Have you called UNC Hospital in Chapel Hill? I know it is a bit far from you, but they have a program which will be of benefit to you. Uninsured patients are guaranteed treatment AND it is on a sliding scale based on your income. Basically, it guarantees you to have no medical debt following procedures.

I am not sure about the specific details of the program, but they had a big write-up about it in the News&Observer a few years back. The program may have certain specifications that were not indicated in the article, but you could do a little fact finding by calling their financial department.

My mother suffered terribly from ovarian cysts and endometriosis. She did not have a distended belly though. She ended up having a hysterectomy to relieve the pain.

I have fibroids. I have one particularly large fibroid that is causing distension in my stomach and bloating. Not to the extent that yours is distended. My stomach can bloat out quite large at times. Ugh. I am looking at surgery because it is causing excessive blood loss, anemia, and pelvic discomfort.

Do you know if they checked for fibroids while you were in the ER? A pelvic ultrasound will indicate most fibroids and their location. Fibroids are common and do not cause issues for most people. You may have a fibroid that is quite large and causing distension and pain. Do you have heavy periods? Painful sex? Constipation? Frequent urination? A large tumor can cause pressure on the bowel and/or bladder. Also, they can cause heavy periods. They can grow slowly over time or grow quickly. They are rarely cancerous tumors.

Firbroids can make you appear pregnant when you are not. The doctor will probably tell you the size of the fibroid based on a pregnancy week. Ex: Your fibroid is akin to a 12 week pregnancy. A fibroid can be quite small or quite large (think cantaloupe!)

Good luck. I hope you get a resolution soon.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:58 PM

75 posts, read 104,409 times
Default Urinary Tract Infection Tips

Ty,

I have had UTI"s off and on since November 2013. I have been UTI free for two weeks now! I finally think I found out what part of the problem is and how to fix it. Your doctor needs to run a lab test to determine which antibiotics will kill the bacteria. VERY IMPORTANT! Some of the doctors I went to (urgent care) wrote antibiotic prescriptions and after two weeks of taking the medicine I was not much better. Then the UTI would come back. That is because your bacteria may be antibiotic resistant to some of the drugs. You ask them to run a test and give you the results! I have been charged $800 for one visit and $650 for another clinic and did not get better either time in the beginning. However, I will tell you what finally helped me and it was not even the antibiotics! I went to the health food store and for $30 dollars I bought a product from a company called Vibrant Health. (This was recommended to me by a nutritionist.) The name of the powder is U.T. Vibrance Crisis Intervention Formula with Mannose & Botanicals. It is a powder that you mix one small scoop with water or pure cranberry juice that tastes very tart. ($5.00 cranberry juice) Not the cheap cranberry juice! If you take the powder every 3 to 4 hours while awake the UTI will go away. I feel so much better! $30.00 cured me where $800 doctor visit did not do a thing. Also, stop drinking anything with caffeine such as coke, tea, coffee or any alcohol. Caffiene drinks stimulate the bladder and make it worse. Drink plenty of water throughout the day. Also, Dr. Oz said that antibiotics cause weight gain and I gained 10 lbs. while on them over 5 months! Good luck!

Old 06-05-2014, 05:12 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,180,183 times
Bless all of you wonderful posters who have given input to this lady to help her. I hope she finds comfort.

Theresa, we wish you the best of outcomes. I hope some of what you found here has been helpful to you.
Working and raising two children, you deserve help. You should also see if you can apply for disability based on your situation, if you are unable to work. A good attorney should be able to help you with that and you don't have to pay him or her anything, they take a percentage from the up front lump sum that you get, and then you just get your regular payments after that. You should look into that. I can't imagine the stress you're under. Sending my good wishes your way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness