Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 07:40 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,646,498 times

Advertisements

i have a question please. i took nyquil last nite (i never take any medicines, well hardly ever at all) and was looking forward to a wonderful sleep because i always heard that nyquil will KNOCK YOU OUT! (i took some because i am exhausted and coming down with cold or flu). well, i had the worst sleep ever! my brain wouldnt shut down and i feel like i was awake all nite.
does anyone know why i would react this way? should i take dayquil instead for a good nights sleep?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 07:52 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,430,380 times
It is probably the DXM in it. If you took an older version of Nyquil, that also has pseudoephedrine (Sudafed) which is the main ingredient in making meth, so that can amp you up too.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:05 AM

thanks, i just looked at the ingredients and it only lists dextomethorphan (dmx?) and doxylamine succinate. the bottle also states that it may cause excitability in children. does this mean im immature? just joking of course. but seriously, could this mean that my nervous system is that of child's? is it underdevoleped or lacking somehow?

Old 01-03-2008, 08:06 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,622,558 times
My son has the same problem, so he doesn't take Nyquil. In our family, the best remedy for a cold, at least to get a decent night's sleep, is a hot toddy. I mentioned this on another thread, but it generally works for us. I even used to give it to my kids when they were young. Worked better than any cold medicine, and you aren't full of synthetic chemicals. Brew up a hot cup of tea, pour in the desired amount of brandy, (within reason, of course. This is being used as medicine, at this point, not as a mixed drink. I used to put in one or two capfuls for my kids). Add lemon juice, and honey. My kids always slept well throughout the night. Drink it just prior to going to bed. The hot tea will warm you up, the brandy will relax you, the lemon juice helps to cut junk in your throat, and the honey will coat your throat, helping the soreness, and even the tickling cough we get.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:15 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,212,794 times
I had the same problem last night too except I took robitussan nighttime. Ugh. Worst sleep ever. Tonight I am going to try the hot toddy thing in combination with some vicks vapor rub so hopefully I can breathe tonight. Hope your cold doesn't get worse.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:23 AM

thanks for the hot toddy idea but what to do if you have no brandy?
i dont even think ive ever had brandy. actually i think i may have tried it once and ew ew horrible! funny because when i hear the word "brandy" i get pleasant thoughts and imagine it to be yummy and sweet and comforting. maybe it is because it rhymes with candy?

Old 01-03-2008, 08:36 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,314,324 times
The ingredients are not the same as they use to be in Nyquil. The amount of alcohol has been reduced a lot. It was the alcohol that relaxed some people. Todays Nyquil doesn't do much of anything in my opinion. The hot toddy is probably the best idea yet.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
I had the same problem last night too except I took robitussan nighttime. Ugh. Worst sleep ever. Tonight I am going to try the hot toddy thing in combination with some vicks vapor rub so hopefully I can breathe tonight. Hope your cold doesn't get worse.
Oh yeah, the Vick's Vapour rub! How could I forget that?! Great stuff! Makes you stink to high heaven, but it's worth it. If you take as hot a shower as you can handle, that helps, also. It helps to open up your nasal passages, and it'll warm you up, (but don't waste time getting dressed! Keep your bathroom warm, and the door shut, to keep the heat in), but you must hop straight into bed, afterward. Wear long flannel pajamas, or sweat pants and shirt, with a pair of socks, so your feet don't get cold. Or, if you don't like socks in bed, try a hot water bottle. Or, the electric blanket, if you have one, (I don't. We don't care for them). Hot shower, Vick's, and a hot toddy, (as you're snuggled in bed), in that order. For those of you who can't, or don't care to, use the hot toddy, you can subsitute hot chicken noodle soup. Not quite as effective as the hot toddy, but it helps! Feel better, y'all!

Old 01-03-2008, 08:41 AM

hot chicken soup? what if i am a vegetarian?

Old 01-03-2008, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
thanks for the hot toddy idea but what to do if you have no brandy?
i dont even think ive ever had brandy. actually i think i may have tried it once and ew ew horrible! funny because when i hear the word "brandy" i get pleasant thoughts and imagine it to be yummy and sweet and comforting. maybe it is because it rhymes with candy?
Good question. I've always used the brandy, (I think the brandname is E&J; just regular brandy, nothing flavored), but I think you may be able to use whiskey. My husband's not here, so I can't pick his brain on that one.

I actually don't care for brandy alone, either. But, it's great for the hot toddy. If I'm going to drink something for pleasure, I'll have Bailey's in my coffee; margaritas; or 43 with orange juice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness