Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 10:19 AM

728 posts, read 1,676,828 times

Advertisements

I am terrified to death at this point. I went to the ER over the weekend for a cough and shortness of air, muscle aches etc. They did a chest Xray, ER doctor returned and said clear with exception for right side small pleural effusion. he put me on antibiotics and albuterol.

Some improvement this week, but still feel congested and coughing up junk, went to a new primary care MD, who accessed the xray reports and is referring me to a pulmonologist due to concerns of the effusion. He states he could be from infection, cardiac related, or Cancer. Now I'm scared to death. he clarified that he felt it was most likely infection related, but still.

I am 43, do not smoke, but was exposed to tons of second hand growing up. I've not experienced any of the classic signs of cancer-weight loss, fatigue, chronic coughs or infections.

does anybody have any suggestions or experience in this ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 10:30 AM

1,013 posts, read 1,422,050 times
Take a deep breath - figuratively speaking - no classic signs, any family history of cardiac issues? The MD clarified that he flet most likely infection related. Get that appointment with the pulmonologist scheduled ASAP.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:44 AM

No classic signs of cancer. No weight loss, no changes in level of energy, no night sweats, no chronic coughs. Maybe average a cold once or twice a year if that.

Do have a family history of cardiac issues on dads side of the family.

Trying to breathe, but damn, this is scary.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:49 AM

1,013 posts, read 1,422,050 times
Of course it is. Do you have that appointment scheduled yet?

Old 12-04-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by House4kids View Post
Of course it is. Do you have that appointment scheduled yet?

Primary MD's office is making it....supposed to hear shortly

Old 12-04-2014, 08:08 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
I had this after a surgery back in July and I was freaking out. It came up on a CT scan, and then I had a follow up CT scan and it was still there.

Had to go to the ER recently and it was gone. I would see the pulmonologist and go from there but I do know how scary it is not knowing whats going on.

Old 12-06-2014, 05:06 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
I am terrified to death at this point. I went to the ER over the weekend for a cough and shortness of air, muscle aches etc. They did a chest Xray, ER doctor returned and said clear with exception for right side small pleural effusion. he put me on antibiotics and albuterol.

Some improvement this week, but still feel congested and coughing up junk, went to a new primary care MD, who accessed the xray reports and is referring me to a pulmonologist due to concerns of the effusion. He states he could be from infection, cardiac related, or Cancer. Now I'm scared to death. he clarified that he felt it was most likely infection related, but still.

I am 43, do not smoke, but was exposed to tons of second hand growing up. I've not experienced any of the classic signs of cancer-weight loss, fatigue, chronic coughs or infections.

does anybody have any suggestions or experience in this ??
I had a similar story but not quite the same. I went to ER for some reason, do not remember what. This was about 6 years ago. Anyway when my primary doctor who was new to us, at that time as well. saw the chest X Ray she was concerned. After having a ct scan it showed something like a slight calcium deposit near a heart valve or something like that. It was absolutely nothing to be conserned about, but I too was beside myself. At your age and never smoking, even if you have been around second hand smoke the chances of this being lung cancer seems pretty unlikely.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 12-06-2014, 05:17 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,290,523 times
I've had bad colds and pneumonia and similar symptoms. Not fun, but I did get over it by going to the doctor and taking antibiotics - lots of fluids - good old chicken noodle soup.

Other than that, whatever it is these days, even cancer, there are all sorts of things they CAN do. (Not like say in the 1950's where there was not much of anything they could do.)

So just let them make the diagnosis, then follow doctor's orders. It is nice to live in a modern age where so many things can now be done. Relax!

Old 12-07-2014, 12:43 PM

Bit of an update. The same day I posted, I was able to see my Primary MD, he is an internist and has training in pulmonology. I about have a breakdown when I tell him about previous conversation with the first treating MD. Immediately reassures me that 90% of pleural effusions he sees in my age group are infectious related.

He orders a chest xray in office, and cannot find any effusion, but finds pneumonia in right lower lobe. changes my antibiotics to Levaquin and a repeat chest x ray to be done this week.

I feel some better, but still have bouts of bad coughing, feel very sluggish, and very sweaty at times. Finally sleeping better at nights, but wake up usually coughing up a lung. My oxygen % has stayed 95-97%, and i really don't have a major problem with shortness of air, just the feeling that I feel warm, sweaty, and not quite right.

The other part of the coin is work. I was able to call in last week, but I'm due back tuesday night. I just cannot imagine putting in 12 hours at night, taking care of patients in addition. I've been working for over 20 years and I've always took pride in being reliable, but because of how I rotten I feel, I'm considering whether or not I need to look into FMLA type leave. Maybe I need another couple of weeks to mend up?

Old 12-07-2014, 08:47 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,290,523 times
When I had pneumonia, I did not feel like lifting my little pinky finger (I was so weak and tired)!

Get PLENTY of rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness