Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 04:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
How old is your mother?

It could be a TIA: transient ischemic attack. She needs to see her doctor even though the symptoms went away.

Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) Symptoms, Causes, Treatment - What is a transient ischemic attack (TIA)? - MedicineNet
TIA was the first thing that came to me mind. Maybe just passed out due to low sugar. My mother in law used to have black out spells from time to time. She did this for maybe 20 years and they never found out why. I will add, she died at 97.

OP, she needs to see her doctor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 04:55 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,430,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrokenparadox View Post
To keep things simple, something very odd happened a few hours ago to my mother and I am still worried about her even though she reassured me that it's nothing to panic about. What happened was that she basically passed out with her eyes open, slightly rolled back, and was unresponsive when I shook her shoulders for about a minute.

The events leading up to this was that I was throwing garbage away outside and she was waiting for me to return, I returned back inside and she started preparing dinner. A minute later, she said that she was feeling dizzy and needed to sit down for a second. I didn't think much of it because we both sometimes get dizzy spells so I turned back around to finish what she was doing. Maybe thirty seconds later I walked up to her and that's when I noticed that something was wrong. Her head was tilted back slightly, her eyes rolled back, and her mouth was ajar. I thought she was purposely making that expression as a joke but after I said "cut it out" like two times and she didn't respond, I grabbed her shoulders and shook her. I was scared out of my mind because no matter how much I shouted and shook her, there was no indication that she was conscious. When I finally rushed to the other room to grab my cell phone to call 911, she finally became responsive again and asked why I was so panicked. She seemed so calm and didn't realise what happened until I told her. She then said it felt like she was having a dream for like a few seconds (apparently about the movie we were watching an hour before this happened) but she felt completely fine. No confusion, no dizziness any longer. I have never seen this happen to her before, but my mother told me that she has had dizzy spells and actually fainted a few times in her life, but no one has ever seen it happen.

She is now assuming it had something to do with the turkey since we were carving the remaining meat off of it a while before this happened, but I honestly don't understand how that is relevant. We have done this numerous times so why would something like a food trigger cause this to occur? I personally think that she either passed out due to low oxygen or a seizure without the jerking movements. Narcolepsy kind of slipped into my mind when she mentioned the dream thing, but it seems unlikely if I have never seen her have an episode.

Not sure if any details about her age and health might be useful, but she is 42 years old and relatively healthy even though she is a bit thin at the moment. I'm still very concerned about her and suggested that she go see a doctor within the next few days, but she keeps trying to tell me that she's fine and a doctor's appointment is not necessary. Does any of this ring a bell to someone or perhaps someone has an idea what might have happened?

Thank you for reading. I would greatly appreciate any sort of information that might explain what happened.

Edit: after researching a little bit on the internet, i'm wondering if I am overreacting since I think it was just a case of fainting/syncope. I just never seen that happen to someone before so it was just a frightening experience that I hope never happens again.
Sounds like a small fit and she should get checked out. TIAs DO NOT cause lack of awareness or unconsciousness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness