Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 07:42 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I've never had a flu shot. I'm now going on my 5th year without catching the flu. I eat clean and boost my immune system naturally. It seems to be working. I may feel it coming on, but it never hits.
Hubby has only had a shot a couple of times and I don't get one every year. We hear, the older we get, the worse the flu can be, and then we hear some strains don't affect seniors as easily because we hav have built up some immunity. Who knows?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 12:11 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,230,149 times
We used to never get the vaccine until my oldest child had a bout with the flu about 4 years ago. It was really scary to see how a healthy, well-nourished child could get so sick, so quickly. People downplay it and say to just keep them hydrated, but it's pretty much impossible when they can't keep even the smallest amount of liquid down. He was so badly dehydrated he needed IV fluids. Then, just as he was getting better I came down with it, and ended being laid up for a few weeks because it progressed into pneumonia. Since that year, we all get our flu vaccines and have had no side effects or reactions... and no flu, either. I am well aware that the vaccine isn't the greatest as far as effectiveness goes, but it's certainly more protection than no vaccine at all. We still practice all of the common sense prevention methods, like healthy eating, exercise, hand washing and judicious use of hand sanitizer, and the vaccine fills in the gaps.

Old 01-03-2015, 03:56 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I got a flu shot this year and I got sick a week later...no fever so I don't think it was the flu, but really bad body aches and fatigue that lasted a week. I'll still get another shot next year though.
That can sure happen! Sometimes a person was already exposed to a virus when they received the vaccination.

Old 01-03-2015, 02:18 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
the body aches happen every time I get one ...so Im still thinking about getting one this year too.but with all these crazy strains out there who knows what will hit next ...

Old 01-06-2015, 09:38 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
Didnt notice this thread and have started one about the flu jab.. as I was quite ill after having one a year agowith pain all down the left side of my body that lasted for some weeks.. I wont be getting this again as Im on enough medication... and have allergies..

Old 01-06-2015, 09:55 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,853,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpfiction View Post
Is it still worth it to get one this late in the season? I've also heard that it isn't as effective this year.
Do you buy car insurance ? Or *any* insurance ?
If yes ... , why ???

Old 01-06-2015, 04:29 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Do you buy car insurance ? Or *any* insurance ?
If yes ... , why ???
The state wouldn't like if I drove without insurance. Besides, the couple of times I've had to use my auto insurance over the years, the company paid the claim.

Old 01-08-2015, 12:44 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpfiction View Post
Despite it being on my 'to do' list for a couple of months, I still haven't gotten around to getting my annual flu shot. I work in a high school, and the number of kids out sick this time of year (or worse, coming to school while still sick) has me concerned.

Is it still worth it to get one this late in the season? I've also heard that it isn't as effective this year. Any truth to that?

Thanks.
I don't get them because I don't trust the so-called authorities who tell us they're safe. I don't like Bill Maher but I agree with him about vaccines. According to him they put stuff like formaldehyde in flu vaccines and this stuff is mentioned in the fine print right on the CDD web site.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPrLCIoxe8Y

Old 01-08-2015, 06:40 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,230,149 times
The small amount of formaldehyde in vaccines is chemically identical to the formaldehyde naturally produced by the human body [url=http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVaccines/SafetyAvailability/VaccineSafety/ucm187810.htm]Common Ingredients in U.S. Licensed Vaccines[/url]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I don't get them because I don't trust the so-called authorities who tell us they're safe. I don't like Bill Maher but I agree with him about vaccines. According to him they put stuff like formaldehyde in flu vaccines and this stuff is mentioned in the fine print right on the CDD web site.

[URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPrLCIoxe8Y[/URL]

Old 01-08-2015, 07:45 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPrLCIoxe8Y
I've watched Bill Maher for years and agree with a great deal of what he says. I'm shaking my head in disbelief though at his treatment of this issue. He just says vaccination isn't perfect and we need a debate about it. That debate is ongoing and unfortunately many naive people have been mislead into not getting vaccinations for influenza which are 60% effective in preventing the flu.

Governor O'Malley said it best in the link you posted when he said what we have to do is conduct a risk/benefit analysis which balances the very minor risk involved in taking the flu shot against the harm that results when unvaccinated people get the flu. Most reactions to the flu vaccine are very mild and involve nothing more than a sore arm for a couple of days. We have an entire system set up to monitor bad reactions to the flu vaccine or any vaccine. Its known as VAERS (Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System). This information is kept by the CDC and forms the basis of recommendations about use of a particular vaccine. The extremely few people who really are injured by taking a vaccine can apply to the VCF (Vaccine Compensation Fund) for monetary damages. In short, virtually every aspect of the process has been addressed. The flu shot would not be given if any substantial number of people were significantly harmed because of it.

Currently thousands of people die every year due to the influenza Older people are particularly hard hit. However, young healthy people do die of the flu because of complications that can result. The CDC estimates that as many as 49,000 people a year may die of influenza. That's more than the number of people who die in car accidents every year.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease...ted_deaths.htm

Sometimes the flu vaccine does not prevent the flu. I recently went through this myself. There are many strains of the flu and its impossible to make a vaccine that is 100% effective in preventing all of them. However, even when the vaccine cannot prevent a strain of flu it reduces its severity. Cases of flu that would have put someone in the hospital become mild cases that can be treated at home with bed rest.

Please don't spread misinformation about an important public health issue. Read this link from the CDC about vaccine safety.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/general.htm

The flu shot is worth getting for yourself and your family members. Do not be mislead by those who are ignorant on this subject. Your life and health may depend on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness