Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 07:43 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Guest room or couch.
Yes, the guest room, and Lysol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 07:46 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumpa View Post
That's extreme. And unsanitary. Here's some advice:

Wash hands regularly, especially before eating and when entering your home from a public area. Even better if you use hand sanitizer immediately after leaving a public space.

Don't kiss your husband when he's sick. Sleep in the living room and take care to wash hands more often.

Exercise regularly!

Take vitamins daily. Maybe pop some Airbornes if you think something's going around.

If you feel sick, go to ground immediately, at the first sign of a sniffle or throat tickle. 24 hours in bed with LOTS of fluids at the beginning of an illness will give your system a jump start on fighting it.

Raw garlic. It ain't pleasant but it's a lifesaver, especially with sore throats and head congestion. Just cut into slivers and bite it with a swallow of water.
Hmm. I don't really exercise, aside from 10-15 minute strolls. That's a good point, and something I should probably work on.

I don't really wash my hands except after using the toilet or before preparing food for anyone other than just myself, since it seems like clean freak germaphobes actually get sick more, since they're not strengthening their resistance to germs.

The odd thing is that I seem to be completely resilient to flu, norovirus, etc. Whenever these things go around the office, I'm fine. But when it comes to colds, I'm never spared. lol. So perhaps my germ theory works on many things, but not with colds.

As for garlic.... nope, nope, nope, I'm a vampire!

Old 01-28-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
You need to take the essential oils before you get a cold and at the first signs of a cold. I'm not sure why you think acupuncture is gimmicky but I would say that it's not for everyone. I went when I was stressed out from trying to buy our house and I was getting a cold every other weekend. The colds stopped completely and I didn't get another one for well over a year. That wasn't the first time I've gotten acupuncture - I've had it over the years for a lot of different things. Some acupuncturists are better than others - but I've always reacted really well to it.
Which essential oils in particular? Eucalyptus oil?

I might as well give acupuncture a try...I suppose it can't hurt! (Well, aside from being pricked like a voodoo doll lol) How often do you need to have it done?

Old 01-28-2015, 07:48 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
By the time your H comes down with the cold, knows he is sick, you have already been exposed. Sure you can go to a hotel but won't keep you from getting the cold. People are contagious days before they show symptoms.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Sleep more.
Multi vitamin + C.
Sleep more!
Water water water.
Wash yer hands. Cannot say this enough.
SLEEEEEEEEP MORE.
Eat really clean/healthy.
Lol! I get 6-7 hours of sleep most nights of the week, unless I stay up late, which happens a lot.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:51 PM

19,721 posts, read 20,250,128 times
~ Sugar is the most likely culprit. You're gonna wanna cut that out or at least get your sweet tooth under control. Replace with fruit, this can really help boost your immune system and phase out refined sugars.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacere View Post
That's so sad. Only an American would consider that.

Or have their parents stay in a hotel when they come to visit. Or putting them in a nursing home.

Sorry, got off track. It just baffles me someone would consider that.
We have a 1ba/1ba small apartment, and we had his 7 family members staying with us for over a week while we literally just moved to the place with no furniture. So it's not about selfishness.

I just can't afford to be missing weeks and weeks of work every year.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
~ Sugar is the most likely culprit. You're gonna wanna cut that out or at least get your sweet tooth under control. Replace with fruit, this can really help boost your immune system and phase out refined sugars.
My typical diet:

Breakfast:
Potato pancakes with jelly or kimchi
Sugar free Red Bull
Berries when I remember

Lunch:
Bubble/boba milk tea (with soy milk)
Chips
Either a burrito or pad thai from places near my office

Dinner:
A home cooked meal (pasta, jambalaya, roasted chicken and avocado rice, salmon and rice)
A few milk chocolate bars
Sometimes a shot of alcohol (once or twice a week maybe)

Believe it or not, this is actually a huge improvement from how I ate before, when I essentially lived on chips, candy, salami, Slim Jims, ramen and several energy drinks. xD

Old 01-28-2015, 08:04 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Which essential oils in particular? Eucalyptus oil?

I might as well give acupuncture a try...I suppose it can't hurt! (Well, aside from being pricked like a voodoo doll lol) How often do you need to have it done?
I'll PM you about the oils. I don't sell them but it's a particular brand and it will seem like I'm advertising. When I was getting sick all the time, I think I went 3 or 4 times over the course of a couple of months or so. When I was pregnant, I went once a month. It just depends. The acupuncturist should let you know the best course of action.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:04 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
My typical diet:

Breakfast:
Potato pancakes with jelly or kimchi
Sugar free Red Bull
Berries when I remember

Lunch:
Bubble/boba milk tea (with soy milk)
Chips
Either a burrito or pad thai from places near my office

Dinner:
A home cooked meal (pasta, jambalaya, roasted chicken and avocado rice, salmon and rice)
A few milk chocolate bars
Sometimes a shot of alcohol (once or twice a week maybe)
WAY too many carbs.

Carbs = phlegm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness