Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2022, 09:59 AM

761 posts, read 445,877 times

Advertisements

Am I still on the Health & Nutrition board, or is this the "Junk-food isn't all that bad" board?

Here's a link for the side effects of carbonated beverages:

https://www.phantasticsmile.com/dang...ted-beverages/

It can cause tooth decay

Belching and heartburn

Increased risk of obesity

Poor nutrition

Reduced bone strength

Junk-food is junk-food no matter how you dress it up. The only thing you accomplish by doing things like this: You keep your bad habits alive and well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2022, 10:02 AM

30,894 posts, read 36,941,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD59 View Post
NEW YORK (AP) — Coca-Cola is working with fitness and nutrition experts who suggest its soda as a treat at a time when the world's biggest beverage maker is being blamed for helping to fuel obesity rates.

Coke as a sensible snack? Coca-Cola works with dietitians who suggest cola as snack - 3/16/2015 1:32:17 PM | Newser
I say this as a soda addict.....Soda is pure garbage. The only kind that could potentially be ok is the flavored sparkling water as it has no sugar or fake sugar added.

Nutritionists who say soda is ok are most likely bought and paid for by the soda makers.

Old 05-18-2022, 10:06 AM

30,894 posts, read 36,941,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Research scientists can be as corrupt as politicians!

Coca Cola Exec's put out an ad: Looking for research scientists to make people believe coke is a good snack! Salary: $100k!

And? With that kind of money dangling in front your eyes, you can be sure their research will come up with the proof it's a good snack!

There's a well-armed, well-funded research center in Paris, their only mission is to continually deny any negative reports on the ill effects of caffeine. Funding coming from the coffee/tea industry and the soft drink makers!

Go ahead and criticize these corruptible research scientists, some time, and see how far you get!
Spot on. And the corruption of research goes far beyond what happens in the food and beverage industries.

Old 05-18-2022, 12:01 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongevitySeeker View Post
Am I still on the Health & Nutrition board, or is this the "Junk-food isn't all that bad" board?

Here's a link for the side effects of carbonated beverages:

Junk-food is junk-food no matter how you dress it up. The only thing you accomplish by doing things like this: You keep your bad habits alive and well.
The forum you're on has never been the "Health & Nutrition" board.

FWIW, I might imbibe a sweetened carbonated drink maybe a half dozen times in a year. Doesn't mean I am a dietary felon, an idiot, or that I pay no attention to my health .

Old 05-18-2022, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
The forum you're on has never been the "Health & Nutrition" board.

FWIW, I might imbibe a sweetened carbonated drink maybe a half dozen times in a year. Doesn't mean I am a dietary felon, an idiot, or that I pay no attention to my health .
Right, Health & Wellness.

Half dozen times in a year? That's a lot to me. The last time I remember drinking a sweetened carbonated beverage was back around late 2004. It was at a potluck dinner over a neighbor's house and I had a couple of ounces just to be sociable. It never occurred to me that need to have it on a regular basis.

Old 05-18-2022, 07:57 PM

3,121 posts, read 2,064,662 times
Numerous sources say that Coke is excellent for cleaning toilets.

Old 05-18-2022, 08:12 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,406,229 times
I used to be habituated to the stuff. Always had a can in my hand. It took a while to let go of the habit. It's not a good lifestyle to always have to have something you need available. And it got expensive.

Now I can't drink it. It's too sweet for me. In fact it's rare for me to drink any kind of soft drink at all. And then only when it's what is offered.

Remember it's not just what you are putting into your body but also what you are missing by replacing it with a cola. A vegetable juice or tea is healthier. Water, even better.

Never thought I'd live long enough to see that it was recommended as a healthy snack. Just goes to show how money talks louder than facts.

Old 05-18-2022, 11:47 PM

10,890 posts, read 7,373,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Numerous sources say that Coke is excellent for cleaning toilets.
Didn't work for me.

Old 05-19-2022, 09:06 AM

I wonder if anyone here ever heard of this type of extreme diet. Back when I was in high school I had an obese friend who decided to go on yet another diet. This time it involved diet soda. If I remember correctly, it was diet coke that only had one calorie per large can.

So here's what he told me: He would only eat one meal per day which was dinner. And the rest of the day, from morning until dinner time, he would drink one can of soda every hour. So it was soda, soda, soda all day long. His parents were in business and gave him everything he wanted, so he had an apartment (away from home) just so he would have a place to keep the soda. He would buy several cases of soda at a time and keep most of it in the refrigerator. There was nothing but soda - so there was no temptation to start eating anything.

Then one day I was with him when he ate dinner at his parents house (where he lived) and it was a sad site to see. He was gulping down the food so fast, it didn't appear that he was even chewing anything. I was sorry I had to see that.

I'm not aware of how long that diet lasted or when he gave up on it but obviously it eventually failed.

Old 05-19-2022, 09:40 AM

10,890 posts, read 7,373,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongevitySeeker View Post
I wonder if anyone here ever heard of this type of extreme diet. Back when I was in high school I had an obese friend who decided to go on yet another diet. This time it involved diet soda. If I remember correctly, it was diet coke that only had one calorie per large can.

So here's what he told me: He would only eat one meal per day which was dinner. And the rest of the day, from morning until dinner time, he would drink one can of soda every hour. So it was soda, soda, soda all day long. His parents were in business and gave him everything he wanted, so he had an apartment (away from home) just so he would have a place to keep the soda. He would buy several cases of soda at a time and keep most of it in the refrigerator. There was nothing but soda - so there was no temptation to start eating anything.

Then one day I was with him when he ate dinner at his parents house (where he lived) and it was a sad site to see. He was gulping down the food so fast, it didn't appear that he was even chewing anything. I was sorry I had to see that.

I'm not aware of how long that diet lasted or when he gave up on it but obviously it eventually failed.
Technically, he was doing IF (Intermittent Fasting), and OMAD (One Meal A Day)--in possibly the worst way he could.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcnGmKi3xms&t=981s has an interesting review of different types of natural and artificial sweeteners, including their effects on the body. Spoiler: some are much worse for you than others.

Last edited by steiconi; 05-19-2022 at 09:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness