Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2022, 09:14 AM

6,451 posts, read 3,969,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Since when they carry a hundred or more calories of sugar.
I associate a "snack" with actual solid food-- you know, something that will actually fill you up when you're hungry. Maybe liquid does that for some people, but not for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
BTW Coke is definitely addictive. I crave it whenever I eat a hamburger lol.
Is that addictive, or a Pavlovian response because in your mind you associate "eating hamburgers" with "drinking a Coke"? I often like to read while I eat. At times, eating by myself without a book in my hand feels odd. Doesn't mean I'm "addicted" to reading. It was also always a family tradition to get popcorn at the movies. I still prefer to do it. I'm not addicted to popcorn, it's just that in my mind, going to the movies you get popcorn, so I show up to the theater and my mind turns to popcorn. If you were addicted, your "addiction" likely wouldn't be infrequent and situational.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2022, 09:28 AM

5,094 posts, read 2,656,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD59 View Post
NEW YORK (AP) — Coca-Cola is working with fitness and nutrition experts who suggest its soda as a treat at a time when the world's biggest beverage maker is being blamed for helping to fuel obesity rates.

Coke as a sensible snack? Coca-Cola works with dietitians who suggest cola as snack - 3/16/2015 1:32:17 PM | Newser
As someone who basically lived on this garbage growing up I will say absolutely NOT. While a treat now and then is a perfectly acceptable reward for eating an otherwise healthy diet, this elixir offers nothing of any value except a ton of processed sugar. When I want a treat I have some dark chocolate which provides a treat type snack along with good nutrition. I may also treat myself with some all natural ice cream on a hot summer day. Coke is not only a ton of calories but empty calories (and chemicals) and to be avoided in my view. The additional caffeine is also no bargain in my view especially if you already start your morning with a cup of coffee. This also negates any hydration benefit from the beverage since caffeine is a diuretic. Processed sugar and other foods is basically our #1 health problem in the United States and the root of a plethora of preventable diseases.

Old 05-29-2022, 10:36 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,126,703 times
With all the isles of junk food and TV commercials with triple bacon cheeseburgers, gooey pizzas and breadsticks covered in cheese and microwave snacks, coke is the least of their worries. With a decent diet, why not indulge in foods that aren’t good for you occasionally. You can’t live on junk and processed food, but people who eat healthy should be fine.

I drink the Mexican cokes, corn syrup is awful.

Old 05-29-2022, 12:21 PM

28,663 posts, read 18,768,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
I associate a "snack" with actual solid food-- you know, something that will actually fill you up when you're hungry. Maybe liquid does that for some people, but not for me.
Your body associates a "snack" with calories. It could be calories from pretzels or a soda or a sugared coffee or a donut. Your body sees calories going in and processes each macronutrient the same way.

Old 05-29-2022, 08:23 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,969,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Your body associates a "snack" with calories. It could be calories from pretzels or a soda or a sugared coffee or a donut. Your body sees calories going in and processes each macronutrient the same way.
Possibly so, but my body also knows when it feels full, and it's going to think it's "hungry" again shortly if given only liquid, regardless of the sugar or calories. Again, YMMV.

Old 05-29-2022, 08:46 PM

5,094 posts, read 2,656,710 times
And sugar also tricks the brain into thinking it needs more food - even when it doesn't. This is why many people look for the snack in the first place, because they are addicted to sugary foods that mess with their body chemistry.

Old 05-29-2022, 09:47 PM

28,663 posts, read 18,768,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Possibly so, but my body also knows when it feels full, and it's going to think it's "hungry" again shortly if given only liquid, regardless of the sugar or calories. Again, YMMV.
It's your brain that thinks "hungry," and that's operating from a number of different inputs, not just the physical consistency of the snack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness