Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2015, 07:11 PM

2 posts, read 3,919 times

Advertisements

I am a 70 year old male in pretty good health, 6'4, 230 lbs, so I have the advantage of having larger canal diameters (probably) when it comes to the ureter and urethra. A 1.6 CM totally asymptomatic stone was discovered in my right renal pelvis when having an abdominal CT scan done for BPH symptoms 6 months ago. I underwent green laser BPH surgery (the surgery the CT scan was done for) and recovered nicely in a few weeks. Then, 3 days ago, I underwent ESWL for the stone. I received about 1,200 pulses of shock waves and a stent was placed going from the kidney to the bladder, with a string into the urethra for easier removal in 2 weeks. I awoke from surgery without pain. No pain killer needed in post-op. About half way home from the out-patient surgi-center I doubled over with cramping (I still don't know why). A half hour later it was gone and I was pain free again. I started drinking water by the liter and almost immediately started passing "dust" and a few very small rounded chips (barely visible to the naked eye). No pain in dong this. After 2 more days of only passing dust and now about 100 of these tiny spheres I called the urologist who told me this was normal (including the medium to light bleeding I was doing). I had expected to be passing larger pieces by now and was concerned something was wrong. He said the larger fragments will begin passing after the stent is removed, as they tend to be held back by the upper end of the stent. The stent causes the ureter to dilate and remain dilated for up to a month after removal, so not to worry (we'll see about that). But, he is an excellent surgeon, so I trust him. Other post-op symptoms included constant headache, panic attacks (uncommon for me and surprising - I have noted others reporting this in this blog), lethargy (from stress and anesthesia I am sure), lower abdominal nausea (no vomiting, just a sickly feeling in the lower abdomen), constipation (from pain meds) and weight loss (who feels like eating after this for a few days?). I have almost no sensation of the presence of the stent, although others report it bothered them - again it may be my larger body being an advantage here. I keep a urine strainer in each of our 3 bathrooms and catch every possible particle, although the surgeon said much of the dust is so fine it isn't caught by the strainer.
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness